Behold my DIY no-weld farmer's walk implements

Nice idea, but these are going to be a PITA to use. There is a reason that farmer's walk implements are usually much longer. The plates are going to be hitting your legs every step.

I just want to take the opportunity to say nice work, and McMaster Carr is about the most badass company on the planet.

I just want to take the opportunity to say nice work, and McMaster Carr is about the most badass company on the planet.

I tried ordering washers from them yesterday for microloading. Unfortunately they don't ship to Canada.

I used all-thread on mine.
FWbars1.jpg

FWbars2.jpg

I woulda made them longer, and the handles higher so the pick up on them won't be so hard. Gonna be limited by how much you can do considering it'll be a lot harder to pick them up than if they were higher.

I woulda made them longer, and the handles higher so the pick up on them won't be so hard. Gonna be limited by how much you can do considering it'll be a lot harder to pick them up than if they were higher.

This. And also the aluminum looks incredibly slick - it'll be a great grip workout, but I wonder how much your fw will be limited but such a slippery surface.

Good looking implements though. Nice work - you're much handier than I am. :)

Looks nice. If I had more weight, I might consider trying something like that... Or maybe something to do in the future.

They don't look so bad now that you've moved the weight out to the ends. And yeah, it's 1.5" pipe running through 2.5" pipe (I think). I actually like the way you used bolts and spacers better than all thread, If I could do it again, I'd definitely used your handle assembly since it'd be easier to crank that shit down on a couple long grade 8's and then just grind down all the rough edges if need be.

Fatty may very well be correct... he should know, cause I made them... wait... what?

Maybe I'm wrong, but it looks like the inner pipe fits pretty snug inside the outer pipe. If so, then it's 2". If I'm wrong and there's a good deal of wiggle room, then it's 2.5". I made a pair the same way and I used 2" outer.

1.5" O.D. = 1.900"
2" I.D. = 2.067"
2.5" I.D. = 2.469"

This thread kicks ass. I got wood.

just regular galvanized pipe. it may not be solid enough for some of the stronger guys but i had 175 pounds on one hanging overnight in the garage and it was fine.
galvanized pipe, some thick bolts, fence connectors and split ring hangers for the inside collars and pony clamps for outside collars. also got some pvc pieces that are wider diameter that will slide over the handles for thicker grip when needed. all from home depot

Back