Bagwork vid

My coach said the same thing, I'm not skinny enough when doing the shoulder roll and leave enough room for someone to catch me and that I need to lock up tighter. Will continue to work on it.
not trying to knock you, that right hand is a dangerous weapon but whenever i watch someone i'm always thinking what punch would i look for against that person. i'm that tall super middle and the main thing i would try to do if i was sparring you, would be to beat you to the punch with a right. if you fake the right first them throw the hook or slip outside right counter you won't get beaten to the punch as often by taller fighters. your not drawing a lead enough before dedicating yourself to the hard punch. everything i mentioned are faults that i have that is why i am aware of them.

I'm not surprised you had issues with your joints the way you throw that left hook. You exert tremendous amount pressure on it, arm punching it that way. It does not look healthy. My wrist would break 100% punching like that.
damn lad, you do talk a lot of shit. there is no way that is an arm punch. he is throwing a bit wide sometimes, but that is definitely a strong left hook. we have yet to even see you throw a hook so i'm really not inclined to believe your drivel. a lot of boxercise coaches teach the shittiest hooking technique, because they are more worried about injuries than impact. watch any boxer with a strong left hook, their technique will vary greatly to the pivot twist bullshit they teach in boxercise.

not trying to knock you, that right hand is a dangerous weapon but whenever i watch someone i'm always thinking what punch would i look for against that person. i'm that tall super middle and the main thing i would try to do if i was sparring you, would be to beat you to the punch with a right. if you fake the right first them throw the hook or slip outside right counter you won't get beaten to the punch as often by taller fighters. your not drawing a lead enough before dedicating yourself to the hard punch. everything i mentioned are faults that i have that is why i am aware of them.
Naw.....you wouldn't be beating his right by throwing your own. He's fast n short enough that you wouldn't see it coming. Obviously he'd be throwing it from his range and not yours......if you is tall.

The fake right-left hook/left straight is always a good move.

I'm a 6'4 middleweight with a 79 1/2" reach (walk around 176-178). A tall guy should catch n roll his right on the arm easy cuz of the height difference but that left hook of his would be a real problem. It's strong and he throws it in multiples. And while I love throwing that short left hook counter , you'd have to avoid it with him.
The plan with a shorter guy like him is to preemptively launch that fast lead right at him but it's tricky with an explosive or fast left hooker. It gives him an opportunity to close that distance, offensively, even if he don't land something big.
A tall guy standing more sideways and being thin n long, with more gaps, makes defending left hooks trickier than I like.

If you have a good jab, which everyone should, then with him one should keep moving to his right , pump the jab over under and at him. Keeping him real long and far away from his left hook range. Lots of pump fakes and doubles n triples with long left hooks in between. The occasional fast right hand with no shoulder. The fast right - left straight. All that to get him a bit desperate and attempting to throw that left from too far off his optimal range just so one can power that right hand on him.
The fast right hand with no shoulder. The fast right - left straight. Also helps to bait that left hook so you can throw that right over top.
When he does manage to get in, as any good boxer will at least some time , block the first left and then over hook his left arm with that left forearm on his neck.

^thats how I'd do it. Or should.
Of course, everyone has a plan till............

Last edited:
Naw.....you wouldn't be beating his right by throwing your own. He's fast n short enough that you wouldn't see it coming. Obviously he'd be throwing it from his range and not yours......if you is tall.

The fake right-left hook/left straight is always a good move.

I'm a 6'4 middleweight with a 79 1/2" reach (walk around 176-178). I could catch n roll his right on my arm easy cuz of the height difference but that left hook of his would be a real problem. It's strong and he throws it in multiples. And while I love throwing that short left hook counter , I'd have to avoid it with him.
The plan with a shorter guy like him is to preemptively launch that fast lead right at him but it's tricky with an explosive or fast left hooker. It gives him an opportunity to close that distance, offensively, even if he don't land something big.
Me standing more sideways and being thin n long, with more gaps, makes defending left hooks trickier than I like.
I have a good jab so with him I'd keep moving to his right , pump the jab over under and at him. Keeping him real long and far away from his left hook range. Lots of pump fakes and doubles n triples with long left hooks in between. The occasional fast right hand with no shoulder. The fast right - left straight. All that to get him a bit desperate and attempting to throw that left from too far off his optimal range just so I can power that right hand on him.
The fast right hand with no shoulder. The fast right - left straight. Also helps to bait that left hook so I can throw that right over top.
When he does manage to get in, as any good boxer will at least some time , block the first left and then over hook his left arm with that left forearm on his neck.

^thats how I'd do it. Or should.
Of course, everyone has a plan till............
sounds like we have similar builds but different approach, i like the bob foster approach. draw leads from a middle distance and counter. i was always pretty slow so i don't like to fight to far on the outside as it makes it hard to land a solid punch. i'm much more the cover and counter type than a mover. your right about not seeing the right coming, but only if he isn't throwing it too hard. his is giving it away be the relaxed lead shoulder roll thing, every hard right he threw was with a low lead without a lot covering it. you can see him relax the lead the moment before he throws a hard right.

on second watch the rights that are thrown in combination are excellent, it's mainly the single rights like at 4:13 that seem a bit vulnerable. also you can catch fighters that are much faster if you have correct anticipation and longer reach. the fight between mosley and forrest is a classic example of this. despite ycm's superior speed drawing the right and then countering is usually the more effective option for someone at a reach disadvantage. you can see him working on this with the pull right hand counter. i doubt the super middle that was giving him trouble was faster, he more than like was catching him with right hands as he closed the gap. i'm only making assumptions based on the limited amount i have seen though.

his is giving it away be the relaxed lead shoulder roll thing, every hard right he threw was with a low lead without a lot covering it. you can see him relax the lead the moment before he throws a hard right.
yea, I think that slight twitch / slackening of his left is him imagining a rolling a right then throwing his own quick counter.

If thats not the case then thats a tell.
In that case, when u want to throw that lead left, it's better if you shorten the reaction time by bringing your right shoulder forward first. And if your right shoulder is forward, then bring that left hand up to guard your face, like in a high forward double guard. That should also hide that tell in your lead shoulder.
Then you can crash into the guy right after and bang him with that left.
Or post back up.

on second watch the rights that are thrown in combination are excellent, it's mainly the single rights like at 4:13 that seem a bit vulnerable. also you can catch fighters that are much faster if you have correct anticipation and longer reach. the fight between mosley and forrest is a classic example of this. despite ycm's superior speed drawing the right and then countering is usually the more effective option for someone at a reach disadvantage. you can see him working on this with the pull right hand counter. i doubt the super middle that was giving him trouble was faster, he more than like was catching him with right hands as he closed the gap. i'm only making assumptions based on the limited amount i have seen though.

The super middle I was sparring is as fast as fast gets, one of the quickest guys I've ever been in the ring with without a doubt. Not just hand speed fast but foot speed and reflexes with his upper body movement is unreal for his size.

That's who I broke my hand on. His height and his jab in particular make it very difficult to do anything, he is like a bigger version of myself with better timing and much more experience.

Crazy y'all talking bout me as a shorter fighter, never thought the day would come lmao I was originally always a lanky guy like y'all for the weight. I'm like average height right now for my current weight

The super middle I was sparring is as fast as fast gets, one of the quickest guys I've ever been in the ring with without a doubt. Not just hand speed fast but foot speed and reflexes with his upper body movement is unreal for his size.

That's who I broke my hand on. His height and his jab in particular make it very difficult to do anything, he is like a bigger version of myself with better timing and much more experience.

Crazy y'all talking bout me as a shorter fighter, never thought the day would come lmao I was originally always a lanky guy like y'all for the weight. I'm like average height right now for my current weight

well that would do it. fighting a guy with more reach and just as much speed doesn't really sound fair at all. you were certainly up against it with that guy. good boxer with great punch selection, i don't think he is quit as fast as you, but with that level of skill and the reach i'm sure it felt like trying to bottle lighting.

yea, I think that slight twitch / slackening of his left is him imagining a rolling a right then throwing his own quick counter.

If thats not the case then thats a tell.
In that case, when u want to throw that lead left, it's better if you shorten the reaction time by bringing your right shoulder forward first. And if your right shoulder is forward, then bring that left hand up to guard your face, like in a high forward double guard. That should also hide that tell in your lead shoulder.
Then you can crash into the guy right after and bang him with that left.
Or post back up.

U are correct it's on purpose, its like a feint of my shoulder roll to get them thinking then stinging em with the right hand. Just real slow cuz I was being lazy

Forrest didn't beat Mosley by drawing his right. He beat Mosley by being preemptive with it, by being physical and bringing it, not letting Mosley get off first , by putting him on the back foot where Mosley generally loses his offence and with a great jab.

Drawing the right to counter it, against a faster, much shorter guy is not a good move IMO.
Like I said, ideally , he's going to throw it from his range. Which is way inside yours. Less space to react and less time.
Even if you do catch n counter a couple , you will fk up some. That shit's gonna mess you up. Especially against a guy with a good left hook because guess what's coming after that right hand (whether it's yours or his right) ?
If he's smart, and most good left hookers are, he wants you to throw that right so he can bang home those lefts.

Throw it before he does. Or throw it after his left.

Last edited:
well that would do it. fighting a guy with more reach and just as much speed doesn't really sound fair at all.
On the plus side he gave me a lot of compliments even tho I got my ass whooped lol, said my punches felt like concrete, that it felt like my gloves had no padding (they are winning gloves tho), so I'm happy about that. Also caught him with an overhand right on the side of his head that he said he could still feel and he got a headache from it. Landed maybe 10 clean punches the whole 5 round spar sadly smh, boxed the last 2 with a broken hand.

The next day he boxed this 168lber who got a good amount of experience, but he often outclasses people and he was outclassing this guy and doing whatever he wanted with him, completely toying with him. Felt good on my end to see someone else going through the frustration of boxing a ghost lol, but afterwards he told me "I could play around with him but I had to stay sharp with u because of the talent difference. I aint bout to get caught with none of ur shit"

Watch out for him tho dude is the most talented boxer I've ever been in the ring with, regardless of his size

Forrest didn't beat Mosley by drawing his right. He beat Mosley by being preemptive with it, by being physical and bringing it, not letting Mosley get off first , by putting him on the back foot where Mosley generally loses his offence and with a great jab.

Drawing the right to counter it, against a faster, much shorter guy is not a good move IMO.
Like I said, ideally , he's going to throw it from his range. Which is way inside yours. Less space to react and less time.
Even if you do catch n counter a couple , you will fk up some. That shits gonna mess you up. Especially against a guy with a good left hook because guess what's coming after that right hand (whether it's yours of his right) ?
If he's smart, and most good left hookers are, he wants you to throw that right so he can bang home those lefts.

Throw it before he does. Or throw it after his left.
i was actually talking about the shorter faster guy drawing the right and countering against the taller fighter. with mosley vs forrest i was just talking about a slower fighter beating a faster fighter through reach and anticipation. forrest could anticipate mosley's movement by controlling it with the jab.

Back