Bagwork vid

YoungCashMoney

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score

Critique/comment what you see. I'm aware of my lazy left hand that needs to be brought back to my chin after my jab and am keeping an eye on it. Gloves are 20oz so I may appear slower than usual (definitely feel slower than usual) & the bag is 150lbs.

I'm no stranger to injuries and since I became healthy again I've had zero problems with injuries since I started training, feel like I have a new body. However a few months ago I injured my hand/thumb in sparring on somebodies elbow and after 2 weeks of not being able to move it, I went to the doc to get it checked out and turns out I had a hairline fracture there. They didn't do much but wrap it up and tell me to lay off it for 6 weeks. So I've been taking it easy since previous vids, gonna get back to real serious training soon.

My injury has nothing to do with my bones being weak or testosterone being low or anything, just a fluke accident of me trying to dig a hook as hard as I could into a 180lber's body and catching his elbow perfectly. (he was beating my ass so I figured I'd at least leave a hole in his stomach or something, joke was on me cuz I broke my hand and had to spar 2 more rounds with him lol)

your right is looking solid but your leaving yourself open when your powering it up. the left is looking dangerous as always but sometimes your throwing a bit wide, step in a little closer and to your left before unloading. you positioning with the left hook was a lot better towards the end of the round.

Critique/comment what you see. I'm aware of my lazy left hand that needs to be brought back to my chin after my jab and am keeping an eye on it. Gloves are 20oz so I may appear slower than usual (definitely feel slower than usual) & the bag is 150lbs.

I'm no stranger to injuries and since I became healthy again I've had zero problems with injuries since I started training, feel like I have a new body. However a few months ago I injured my hand/thumb in sparring on somebodies elbow and after 2 weeks of not being able to move it, I went to the doc to get it checked out and turns out I had a hairline fracture there. They didn't do much but wrap it up and tell me to lay off it for 6 weeks. So I've been taking it easy since previous vids, gonna get back to real serious training soon.

My injury has nothing to do with my bones being weak or testosterone being low or anything, just a fluke accident of me trying to dig a hook as hard as I could into a 180lber's body and catching his elbow perfectly. (he was beating my ass so I figured I'd at least leave a hole in his stomach or something, joke was on me cuz I broke my hand and had to spar 2 more rounds with him lol)

I hope you learned your lesson now with your hand......

@YoungCashMoney

If that video is you being "slow" I am
an aquatic sloth boxing underwater.

Very smooth movement like always. Waiting for your next fight ;)

Your punches look good and your technique is good, I don't know how you were doing before you got the hand injury, but you seem to be doing good with it, one thing that I think might help against a bigger guy, that is if you were having a lot of problems with him is to when you throw a hook, duck down like 3 inches when you throw it, and use a lot of hip rotation that would help. Otherwise your doing really good for a recovering hand.

your right is looking solid but your leaving yourself open when your powering it up. the left is looking dangerous as always but sometimes your throwing a bit wide, step in a little closer and to your left before unloading. you positioning with the left hook was a lot better towards the end of the round.

Gotcha thanks will look out for it.

I hope you learned your lesson now with your hand......

No more sparring super middle weights lol. Also if I'm gonna load up to the body, make sure I place my shot properly and am aware of them catching the shot on their elbow.

@YoungCashMoney

If that video is you being "slow" I am
an aquatic sloth boxing underwater.

Very smooth movement like always. Waiting for your next fight ;)

Coming soon! Thanks

Your punches look good and your technique is good, I don't know how you were doing before you got the hand injury, but you seem to be doing good with it, one thing that I think might help against a bigger guy, that is if you were having a lot of problems with him is to when you throw a hook, duck down like 3 inches when you throw it, and use a lot of hip rotation that would help. Otherwise your doing really good for a recovering hand.

Hand feels great now, my thumb still doesn't bend right but I can't feel no pain. Trust me there was a lotta hip rotation when I threw the hook that hurt my hand lol, I put everything I had into it cuz I was being outclassed like a mf by someone who's like my big brother so we always got a little rivalry. Result? broken hand smh

Gotcha thanks will look out for it.

No more sparring super middle weights lol. Also if I'm gonna load up to the body, make sure I place my shot properly and am aware of them catching the shot on their elbow.

Coming soon! Thanks

Hand feels great now, my thumb still doesn't bend right but I can't feel no pain. Trust me there was a lotta hip rotation when I threw the hook that hurt my hand lol, I put everything I had into it cuz I was being outclassed like a mf by someone who's like my big brother so we always got a little rivalry. Result? broken hand smh

You must've been sparring some Russians or something, or maybe you didn't do the punch properly. That could be it the punch didn't land right. And you could've been getting overwhelm too so that's probably why the punch didn't land right.

Last edited:
Looking sharp.

Off topic. Where do you find 20 oz gloves? The biggest i found was 18 oz

Looking sharp.

Off topic. Where do you find 20 oz gloves? The biggest i found was 18 oz

They are 16oz Cleto Reyes hook & loop that for some reason weigh 20 ounces. Some bs honestly, I was noticing I felt way more tired than usual, and the gloves just feel heavy. So I ended up weighing them on my scale and found out one of em weighs like 19.7 and the other weighs 20.2 ounces.

After that I weighed my other gloves to see if maybe my scale was off, and my 16oz Rivals were pretty much 16 on the dot. My 14oz winning were exactly 14oz, and my 14oz cleto lace ups were almost exactly 14. So I'm not sure why my other Cleto's are off by 4 ounces, but oh well, better conditioning workout for me

They are 16oz Cleto Reyes hook & loop that for some reason weigh 20 ounces. Some bs honestly, I was noticing I felt way more tired than usual, and the gloves just feel heavy. So I ended up weighing them on my scale and found out one of em weighs like 19.7 and the other weighs 20.2 ounces.

After that I weighed my other gloves to see if maybe my scale was off, and my 16oz Rivals were pretty much 16 on the dot. My 14oz winning were exactly 14oz, and my 14oz cleto lace ups were almost exactly 14. So I'm not sure why my other Cleto's are off by 4 ounces, but oh well, better conditioning workout for me

I had same issue, was confused why my kid was getting tired so quickly on the pads and I weighed his cleto reyes hybrids and theyre 15.5 ounces lol (he's 9). I think they spread the weight all over the glove as opposed to title gloves that are a bit more knuckle-end heavy

I'm not surprised you had issues with your joints the way you throw that left hook. You exert tremendous amount pressure on it, arm punching it that way. It does not look healthy. My wrist would break 100% punching like that.

I'm not surprised you had issues with your joints the way you throw that left hook. You exert tremendous amount pressure on it, arm punching it that way. It does not look healthy. My wrist would break 100% punching like that.
Drink milk.

Meh.....you already know what you're doing right. Got that Mayweather Sr schooled jab. Quick flurries. Nice hooks.

What I don't like is the range you put your work is the same always. Mid.
Your defensive rhythm in between is also a bit monotonous at times. The left-right slip.
And you stick around too long afterwards , a lot of times.
I don't see much variety in the jab either.
The right's a bit short too but I think you're doing that because you're subconsciously are too much in love with that left hook. But it's a nice hook and its especially fun throwing it on a bag Iike that.

Not bad though.

{<redford}

I had same issue, was confused why my kid was getting tired so quickly on the pads and I weighed his cleto reyes hybrids and theyre 15.5 ounces lol (he's 9). I think they spread the weight all over the glove as opposed to title gloves that are a bit more knuckle-end heavy

A bit unprofessional for such a touted brand..

I can assure you it is not an arm punch, I just add the snap of my shoulder blade for another way to generate momentum and power, but it is just one piece of the puzzle when I throw the shot, starts with the feet then the hips then a full rotation of my core added with the snap of my shoulder. I had issues with my joints because I had a brain tumor that gave me the recovery and strength of a 150 year old man. My right hand was always the bigger issue since thats the one that required surgery from a TFCC tear. Just gotta keep the forearm and wrist tight and there shouldnt be an issue throwing it the way I throw it.

Meh.....you already know what you're doing right. Got that Mayweather Sr schooled jab. Quick flurries. Nice hooks.

What I don't like is the range you put your work is the same always. Mid.
Your defensive rhythm in between is also a bit monotonous at times. The left-right slip.
And you stick around too long afterwards , a lot of times.
I don't see much variety in the jab either.
The right's a bit short too but I think you're doing that because you're subconsciously are too much in love with that left hook. But it's a nice hook and its especially fun throwing it on a bag Iike that.

Not bad though.

{<redford}

Yo thanks for the breakdown, I see what ur saying about always working from the same range and my right hand not being fully extended sometimes, for that bag in particular I look at it as practicing my "sweet spots" where my punch gains maximize leverage, for my right hand it is exactly where u see it it in the video, about 5 inches away from my full reach where I can drill through the target. The 2 lead right hands I do in the vid are about as maximum as Ill throw, obviously against an opponent my punch isn't gonna stop there, its gonna keep traveling til it maximizes my range.

Sorry bout my monotonous defensive rhythm lol, thats just me trying to remind myself to have some sort of proactive defense, keep myself moving even if its slight. My main line of defense is catching shots with my shoulder/hands, which I do go through the motions of on the bag for certain counters. Head movement is something I need to work on. I'm also rocking side to side to lure the bag into a rhythm that I can break, its why I always do it before I throw my lead right, its the only way the punch will land on an opponent cuz obviously no one is just gonna give u a right hand.

Stick around too long afterwards, can u give me an example of where so I know exactly what ur talking bout?

U right I should be throwing more jabs to the body/head and mixing it up with up jabs/spear jabs and all that jazz. All these things are a lot to remember doing something relatively boring like heavy bag work lol.

Another thing about being stuck in mid range : When I put my head close to the bag and dig the body, that's close range isn't it? then when I post with the jab to set up my other punches, aren't I then on the outside? Regardless, its less about me being in love with my hook as it is me trying to be in position to let every punch in my arsenal go, and mid range does that for me. Allows me to work uppercuts, hooks, and straights effectively and on the heavy bag I'm trying to rip my combinations off.

I do love my hook though. it's my most effective punch, they are so natural and easy to throw for me that doubling/tripling/quadrupling it up isn't an issue and changing from body to head is the most effortless thing.. It's been like that since day 1, I had a naturally "educated" hook in terms of finding its way to my opponent. I remember one of my first sparring sessions at tocco's when I had just began, they were calling me Captain Hook because of how often I threw a check and lead hook and could get it to the target. I've said it here a few times tho , my straight right hand is my money shot. Maybe cuz I'm right handed, maybe cuz I'm a bit tall/lanky (or I was) for my weight class, but my right hand is the one that I know can turn the lights off against most people.

A bit

Yo thanks for the breakdown, I see what ur saying about always working from the same range and my right hand not being fully extended sometimes, for that bag in particular I look at it as practicing my "sweet spots" where my punch gains maximize leverage, for my right hand it is exactly where u see it it in the video, about 5 inches away from my full reach where I can drill through the target. The 2 lead right hands I do in the vid are about as maximum as Ill throw, obviously against an opponent my punch isn't gonna stop there, its gonna keep traveling til it maximizes my range.

Sorry bout my monotonous defensive rhythm lol, thats just me trying to remind myself to have some sort of proactive defense, keep myself moving even if its slight. My main line of defense is catching shots with my shoulder/hands, which I do go through the motions of on the bag for certain counters. Head movement is something I need to work on. I'm also rocking side to side to lure the bag into a rhythm that I can break, its why I always do it before I throw my lead right, its the only way the punch will land on an opponent cuz obviously no one is just gonna give u a right hand.

Stick around too long afterwards, can u give me an example of where so I know exactly what ur talking bout?

U right I should be throwing more jabs to the body/head and mixing it up with up jabs/spear jabs and all that jazz. All these things are a lot to remember doing something relatively boring like heavy bag work lol.

Another thing about being stuck in mid range : When I put my head close to the bag and dig the body, that's close range isn't it? then when I post with the jab to set up my other punches, aren't I then on the outside?

Problem with a big bag like that is it can really shorten that right hand if you're not paying attention. There's a huge area to throw n land the left hook but the right gets stopped short. The left hook should be thrown a bit more to the front of the bag to even it all out and lengthen the right. A guys head is the smallest body part we aiming at anyways. Anyways that's how I feel.

By sticking around too long I don't mean u stand stock still after, though you do in spots , I mean you still be in range for counters. You'd have to have some otherworldly reflexes AND body quickness to anticipate that.
There's a number of times you just hang around and throw a lazy punch or so or just walk around the bag IN RANGE.
I can't believe you made me watch the whole video again but I did, and no I'm not going to time stamp all the instances but try this........watch it but imagine you're the bag or the guy in the video is boxing up on you. What do you see ? Where all do you see yourself slamming home the counters ?

Cmon son ! That's when you gotta work those jabs ! You've got some of the best ppl to emulate. And if it's not showing on the even in spurts, then it's not being used in real life. At least not as much as you think and not now.

The rhythm thing, it's a good to have a proactive defense but you should never keep doing the same thing or at the same speed / rhythm. Sway back sometimes, high guard it, backstep it, hop back, double slip left or right etc etc
Nobody's going to give you a right hand but nobody's gonna fall for that same move over n over.
Where's the slip / backstop n right over the top btw ?

When you post your head on the bag is close range but you did that very rarely. It's a 5 minute vid but there's barely 20 seconds of that. And close range isn't just punching. Where's the holding, the spin n punch, the step arounds, the slip n body digs ?
And the lead hand posts don't count as outside fighting. Not in my book. And especially at that height. 5'9-5'10 at 160ish ?
Outside fighting is a short leap/step in to land. A long jab right, long hooks. Lighter footwork. The transition from outside touching range to your favourite range is important.
Most guys ain't gonna let you come in the wheelhouse so easy. Not without paying a toll on the way.
You be Floyd vs Cotto-ing the bag and I'm talking Floyd vs Berto (1st three rounds) :)
You already know all this shit but it seemed a bit lazy to me. By Sherdog standards it's golden of course but if I saw you in the gym I'd think A) he's tired after a hard session or B) got skills but lazy.......fking prime meat for the taking.

Though I guess it's hard to be pumped when doing bag work by yourself at a home gym or something.

Problem with a big bag like that is it can really shorten that right hand if you're not paying attention. There's a huge area to throw n land the left hook but the right gets stopped short. The left hook should be thrown a bit more to the front of the bag to even it all out and lengthen the right. A guys head is the smallest body part we aiming at anyways. Anyways that's how I feel.

By sticking around too long I don't mean u stand stock still after, though you do in spots , I mean you still be in range for counters. You'd have to have some otherworldly reflexes AND body quickness to anticipate that.
There's a number of times you just hang around and throw a lazy punch or so or just walk around the bag IN RANGE.
I can't believe you made me watch the whole video again but I did, and no I'm not going to time stamp all the instances but try this........watch it but imagine you're the bag or the guy in the video is boxing up on you. What do you see ? Where all do you see yourself slamming home the counters ?

Cmon son ! That's when you gotta work those jabs ! You've got some of the best ppl to emulate. And if it's not showing on the even in spurts, then it's not being used in real life. At least not as much as you think and not now.

The rhythm thing, it's a good to have a proactive defense but you should never keep doing the same thing or at the same speed / rhythm. Sway back sometimes, high guard it, backstep it, hop back, double slip left or right etc etc
Nobody's going to give you a right hand but nobody's gonna fall for that same move over n over.
Where's the slip / backstop n right over the top btw ?

When you post your head on the bag is close range but you did that very rarely. It's a 5 minute vid but there's barely 20 seconds of that. And close range isn't just punching. Where's the holding, the spin n punch, the step arounds, the slip n body digs ?
And the lead hand posts don't count as outside fighting. Not in my book. And especially at that height. 5'9-5'10 at 160ish ?
Outside fighting is a short leap/step in to land. A long jab right, long hooks. Lighter footwork. The transition from outside touching range to your favourite range is important.
Most guys ain't gonna let you come in the wheelhouse so easy. Not without paying a toll on the way.
You be Floyd vs Cotto-ing the bag and I'm talking Floyd vs Berto (1st three rounds) :)
You already know all this shit but it seemed a bit lazy to me. By Sherdog standards it's golden of course but if I saw you in the gym I'd think A) he's tired after a hard session or B) got skills but lazy.......fking prime meat for the taking.

Though I guess it's hard to be pumped when doing bag work by yourself at a home gym or something.

Yep u right on all those points. As u can see by the sweat on my shorts at the start of the vid, that was the last round of a 16 round workout, so laziness/boredom was definitely kicking in but that is no excuse (problem of not having a coach on ur ass while u train when by urself), Looking at it from that perspective of the bag, I would make me pay heavily for getting lazy like that within punching range. Forgot to do the outside slip right hand counter, it gets replaced by my pull counter a lotta time which I do need to change it up.

I know exactly what u talking about now. The lack of creative techniques is due to me being tired and having them big ass gloves so I was doing a lot of simple things.

Also 5'9 147 right now but I definitely aint as tall as I used to be at 125 as 5'9 compared to my opponents.

Thanks for the tips and reminding me to keep sharp even if I'm tired/lazy!

Also 5'9 147 right now but I definitely aint as tall as I used to be at 125 as 5'9 compared to my opponents.

Lol......manlet detected !

Jking
Yea I figured you at 5'9 but I thought nobody in their right minds would admit that online. That's why I threw in the '10 so you can get a 3 digit fig leaf. As for the weight , I had you pegged at ~155 but I guess the camera does really add 20 lbs.

Thanks for the tips and reminding me to keep sharp even if I'm tired/lazy!

Hey , we take shit serious here on the Interwebz.

<Gordonhat>

i kinda disagree a bit on this one. i actually think he could be a bit closer in with the left hook and hitting the side of the bag more if anything. the right hand looks solid and i'm not really a big believer in extending the right too much, thats defensive boxing not power hitting. the only issue i really have with it is the way he is loading up the right with the left hand low, that only works if you are using the shoulder roll counter and his shoulders are slightly to square and he is not off centreline quit enough to be safe the way he is throwing it. i highly recommend he he fakes that hard right, comes back with the left hook, shoulder roll and then the power right. it would take away the opening for the right counter as he throws his own hard right.
oops.

Lol......manlet detected !

Jking
Yea I figured you at 5'9 but I thought nobody in their right minds would admit that online. That's why I threw in the '10 so you can get a 3 digit fig leaf. As for the weight , I had you pegged at ~155 but I guess the camera does really add 20 lbs.

Hey , we take shit serious here on the Interwebz.

<Gordonhat>

It's not the size of the dog in a fight, its the size of the fight in the dog!! Lmao I push 165 easy if I don't watch my diet. I keep under 2k calories a day even when I'm off on injury. U was real close with 155, I weigh about 153 after I eat a good meal and drink water after training. 147-148 is right when I get done training/sweating all that I'll hop on the scale.

as for the '10 to get my 3 digits.. I'm really like 5'9 and 3 quarters Lmao I'ma start rounding it up to 5'10 it sounds better <{MingNope}>

Deep down though I'm 5'9.. <2>It's cool though, where I live I'm way taller than the average. Living next to the Mexico border and all, average height here is like 5'5 lol

Back