AvaCore - Core Control RTX

Adrenaline87

White Belt
Reaction score
I HAVE seen mention of this product before, however, after repeated attempts to use the search function I gave up and decided to make this thread. I was researching the product known as "Avacore Core Control" CoreControl and was pretty interested from what the website was claiming, I then went to Google in an attempt to get a less biased opinion on the product and how exactly it works and how much it costs. I found a few videos

YouTube - CoreControl video-doc part 1
YouTube - CoreControl video-doc part 2
YouTube - CoreControl video-doc part 3 - Multiple Sclerosis Relief
also
BBC NEWS | Programmes | World News America | The gloves to wear in a sweat

but I feel like a lot of the information being present to me is anecdotal and lacking strong numbers (perhaps they are just not presented). So my question/request of my fellow conditioning posters are - What do you know about this product? Is it a legitimate product? How much does this "miracle device" run?

I also found a website that is selling what would appear to be shirts that have some form of a liquid coolant system built into them.

Cool Shirt - Cool Vest - Personal Cooling

Not quite sure if these shirts will offer the same results as the AvaCore, Core Control product, but the more information on this subject the better.

Found another article, with some more information

Players for the San Francisco 49ers trotted off the field during Sunday's game against the Detroit Lions and grabbed for the requisite towels and Gatorade. A few went for something else on the bench, slipping their hands into a coffee-pot-like contraption that stops cramping and overheating.

The device, called the Glove and invented by two Stanford biologists, is used by the Niners during games and at practice for players' health. But its applications are far broader: from treating stroke and heart attack victims to allowing soldiers to remain in the field longer under intense heat.

It's also a proven athletic performance enhancer - billed as better than steroids without any ill effects.

"We use the Glove primarily for health reasons," said Dan Garza, the 49ers' medical director. "But outside of sports, it has potential for a lot of exciting things. This technology is a much more effective way of cooling the core temperature than what we would typically do - misting, fanning, cold towels, fluids."

The Glove works by cooling the body from inside out, rather than conventional approaches that cool from outside in. The device creates an airtight seal around the wrist, pulls blood into the palm of the hand and cools it before returning it to the heart and to overheated muscles and organs. The palm is the ideal place for rapid cooling because blood flow increases to the hands (and feet and face) as body temperature rises.

"These are natural mammalian radiators," said Dennis Grahn, who invented the device with Stanford colleague Craig Heller.

Grahn and Heller also found that cooling overheated muscles dramatically improved physical performance, allowing athletes to work out harder and longer, and hold on to their gains.

"We learned that you can actually reverse that muscle fatigue in a short amount of time," Heller said. "And if you cool muscles during rest, you get a much greater recovery than if you rested without cooling."

In the early 1990s, Heller and Grahn first began looking at using controlled heat to halt tremors in patients coming out of anesthesia. When they put their device over the hand and arm of a patient at Stanford Medical Center, "The core temperature went up so fast," Grahn said, "we thought our recording equipment had broken." The tremors stopped.

Once the license for their heating technology was sold by Stanford, they shifted their focus to cooling. The two were interested in exploring therapeutic uses of lowering body temperature, particularly for people with cystic fibrosis and multiple sclerosis. They turned to exercise as a way to build up a person's internal heat load and then worked to figure out how to "pull it out through vascular structures," Grahn said.

Their first "aha" moment in cooling came after they talked their assistant Vinh Cao into doing his regular workouts in the lab instead of at the gym. His routine included 100 pull-ups. One day, Grahn and Heller started using an early version of the Glove to cool him for 3 minutes between rounds of pull-ups. They saw that with the cooling, his 11th round of pull-ups was as strong as his first. Within six weeks of training with the cooling breaks, Cao did 180 pull-ups a session. Six weeks later, he went from 180 to 616.

"I'll never forget the number 616," said Heller. "He tripled his capacity in six weeks. We were like, 'Wait a minute, this is crazy!' "

While a set of pull-ups might take less than a minute, it's enough for the temperature of those muscles to rise, Heller said. "We learned that you can reverse that muscle fatigue in a short amount of time. And if you cool muscles during rest, you get a much greater recovery than if you rested without cooling."

Soon, members of the Stanford football team began paying visits to the Grahn and Heller lab. "After a while, we were watching these guys and saying, 'Oh gee, he only did 700 sit-ups today,' " Grahn said. Their findings were published in the American Journal of Applied Physiology, and in 2003, they received a $3 million grant from the Pentagon's science division, DARPA: the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency.
User friendly

The Glove is now being distributed and redesigned by a company called Avacore Technologies of Ann Arbor, Mich. Grahn and Heller are board members and working with the company to create a more user-friendly version of the coffee pot-shaped model - which they call "klutzy" - to make it look and feel like an actual glove. Avacore is in contract with the military to deliver the new, streamlined gloves by the end of the year. Some 100 units of the cooling device are in Iraq with the 101st Airborne Division.

It is also being used by other football teams, including the Oakland Raiders and the Miami Hurricanes, and by American cyclists who competed in this year's Tour de France.

"The real benefit to humanity from this technology is that we will be able to induce hypothermia and hyperthermia," said Chuck Hixson, Avacore's president. "This is beneficial in medicine because when you have a heart attack or a stroke, if you can lower the core body temperature below 35 degrees Celsius (95 degrees Fahrenheit) in the first hour, you will substantially eliminate the chance of permanent damage of the heart muscle or brain."

The Grahn-Heller lab, tucked away on the Stanford campus, is full of the ****l, wire, mesh and neoprene carcases of earlier cooling and heating gadgets. The biologists, who have worked together since 1986, are a bit of an odd couple. Grahn, 58, a former minor-league hockey player, arranges his office into piles, stacks and more piles. He says, "I keep my exercise levels appropriate for my age and general state of decrepitude."

Heller, 65, on the other hand, is upbeat, organized and exceedingly fit. He dipped into the lab's candy jar - using the Glove to work up to 1,000 pushups on his 60th birthday.

Still, the two agree that the development of the Glove has been a "long slog" that is nowhere near over.

"We've put a lot of years into this," Heller said, "and it's a big deal for us. As biologists, we're not into inventions. We're into mainly how biology works. So it doesn't frequently translate into something that's going to market."

Grahn said their real interest remains in understanding temperature management "for potential medical disorders. We just got sidetracked for 10 years."

Grahn allows, though, that use of the Glove by athletes also has real potential.

"Everyone in sports knows that if you stick a syringe full of steroids in a padded area of your body it will make you play better," he said. "Well, we want to say, 'Instead of that, try sticking your hand in the Glove for three minutes and you'll play better.' "
What is the Glove?

The Glove, formally known as Core Control, is available through Avacore Technologies of Ann Arbor, Mich. It retails for $2,500, but is available at select times throughout the year for less than $2,000. The price is expected to come down with the second generation of the Glove, now in development. Information: CoreControl

Cool invention helps tired players bounce back

Sorry for the thread necro but this item crossed my mind and I was looking for the price of it.

I've never used it personally, but I do know that Robert Weir, who was the guinea pig for the article, was an absolute monster of a man, a total beast who could military press what I could bench, and I'm not a small man at all.

If he thinks something works, I'd weigh that heavily.

Sorry for the thread necro but this item crossed my mind and I was looking for the price of it.

I've never used it personally, but I do know that Robert Weir, who was the guinea pig for the article, was an absolute monster of a man, a total beast who could military press what I could bench, and I'm not a small man at all.

If he thinks something works, I'd weigh that heavily.

How about if he says he thinks it works because he is paid money to? Did you think of that?

How about if he says he thinks it works because he is paid money to? Did you think of that?

impo3_145201.jpg

why not save the money and take an ice bath post workout?

EDIT: It only cools your fucking hand????

I have used it. i realize that this is a single individual report, and therefore anecdotal.its not statistically significant, so keep that in mind before reading anymore.you can not draw a conclusion from a single data-point

the unit operates exactly as advertised.it is made (with pride) in the US, from durable materials, and is very well designed

unfortunately for me ... it did not work at all. i train intensely with free weights, and tried to use it as was recommended by their instructional videos, but seemed to get nothing out of it.i used it between sets.i used it after my workouts.the outcome was still the same.i went over their videos multiple times too.technically i am no slouch either, i work on race cars and i am quite adept at taking things apart and putting them back together, i am really good with my hands.it is possible there exists a segment of population, for which this widget just will not work, you know...the 'hard-gainers' as some people call them.

the other issues had to do with usage and convenience.first, when the unit is filled with ice-water, it gets somewhat heavy to haul around, unless you are a big strong person.that along with a big gym bag...well you get the picture.second, it is big and cumbersome, and somewhat embarrassing to use in public (especially if you are the only 1 using it), such as a large gym, and it makes quite the audible noise too, when in operation.and since it did not work, i became the butt of jokes in the gym, after i stopped using it

my theory is this: the original prototype (which didnt look pretty if you have ever seen it) definitely worked, but the latest generation of the apparatus works differently, or not at all.this and/or perhaps i got a somewhat defective unit.or the fact that i am just a hard-gainer,and something like this widget just wasn't meant for me ~i am really not sure

i have read elsewhere that using an ice bath or ice packs would work equally well, and i heard that from my gym buddies too.but according to the research, you really do not want to do that after a workout,unless you are injured or have swollen joint, then localized ice would help.an ice bath would constrict the blood vessels around the joints, therefore depriving them of fresh oxygenated blood, and this after a strenuous workout, is just a terrible idea.even Dr. Gabe Mirkin, the developer of RICE therapy, has changed his mind, and now advocates RICE or PRICE for about 5 minutes locally to the injured area.sitting in a ice bath for 20-30minutes like i see on the Ultimate Fighter show is not supported by scientific studies to be efficacious in any way, and may just be a placebo effect!the information is out there ~do your research before committing to any type of therapeutic activity.the thing that worked the best for me was the stiff foam roller.doing that between sets and after a workout does wonders for me, and there are a lot of youtube videos demonstrating how to use a foam roller for evacuating or mitigating lactic acid accumulation after a workout.

just a personal anecdote ~please keep that in mind

It works. It cools the blood in your hand and your body redistributes the cool blood, allowing you to continue training. I first heard about it on the UG training forum. Scrapper got his hands on one and raved about how amazing it was. If you know who scrapper is you know why his testimony carries weight. All the big names of the forum (including Kenny Florian's S&C coach) have had long and illuminating discussions on it.

I believe it works. I would love to try it.

A couple of studies show it might work in circumstances involving exhausting conditioning workouts under particularly hot weather conditions. The theory behind it is also plausible.

There is no evidence and (to me) it doesn't seem particularly plausible that it would substantially benefit strength/power/explosiveness work under anything bellow extreme heat.

It works. It cools the blood in your hand and your body redistributes the cool blood, allowing you to continue training. I first heard about it on the UG training forum. Scrapper got his hands on one and raved about how amazing it was. If you know who scrapper is you know why his testimony carries weight. All the big names of the forum (including Kenny Florian's S&C coach) have had long and illuminating discussions on it.

I believe it works. I would love to try it.
- @JosephDredd - LOL - you begin by saying "It works" than end ur post by sayin "I would love to try it" - that's hilarious - u never tried it, and yet u r here promoting it! what a shill! Apparently, the avacore cooling system sucks so badly that the company no longer sells it! imagine that, that's how well it really works! if it worked, dont u think the company would have been bought out by GE or Nike or Tapout? It does NOT work, or if it works, it works marginally! Actually, Nike is developing its own core-cooling tech, look it up

A couple of studies show it might work in circumstances involving exhausting conditioning workouts under particularly hot weather conditions. The theory behind it is also plausible.

There is no evidence and (to me) it doesn't seem particularly plausible that it would substantially benefit strength/power/explosiveness work under anything bellow extreme heat.
@miaou - it did NOT work 4 me in any way shape or form. it was a big waste of money 4 me

why not save the money and take an ice bath post workout?

EDIT: It only cools your fucking hand????
an ice bath works differently. avacor uses vaccum tech along with cooling water - and it doesnt work, sorry to say! even the ice bath is a horrible idea, since it pinches all your blood vessels, depriving them of much needed fresh oxygenate blood w/ nutrients, which is critical after a workout! ice baths work for swollen joints and or injuries, but in general? naaaahhh

I HAVE seen mention of this product before, however, after repeated attempts to use the search function I gave up and decided to make this thread. I was researching the product known as "Avacore Core Control" CoreControl and was pretty interested from what the website was claiming, I then went to Google in an attempt to get a less biased opinion on the product and how exactly it works and how much it costs. I found a few videos

YouTube - CoreControl video-doc part 1
YouTube - CoreControl video-doc part 2
YouTube - CoreControl video-doc part 3 - Multiple Sclerosis Relief
also
BBC NEWS | Programmes | World News America | The gloves to wear in a sweat

but I feel like a lot of the information being present to me is anecdotal and lacking strong numbers (perhaps they are just not presented). So my question/request of my fellow conditioning posters are - What do you know about this product? Is it a legitimate product? How much does this "miracle device" run?
if i could rate the avacore system, i would give it zero out of five stars - it didnt work 4 me, sorry 2 say. why do u think it was discontinued, if it was such a great system? Nike would have bought the company if it were so effective - hope u didnt waste ur money!

Back