Movies Austin Powers Trilogy

Saw the first one in theaters on on opening night and it was one of the funniest movies I ever saw in my life, the scene where Austin is trying to reverse the cart hes driving in that tiny hallway still cracks me up everytime I see it

Also saw the other two in theaters on opening night and the second had its moments but it didnt come close to matching the magic of the original, by the third the joke was so played out it wasnt even fun anymore

I appreciate the post but I have other novels to read. I'll be back. And read yours though I'm sure

Saw the first one in theaters on on opening night and it was one of the funniest movies I ever saw in my life, the scene where Austin is trying to reverse the cart hes driving in that tiny hallway still cracks me up everytime I see it
I will revisit it. I will also heed this advice and not bother with the sequels.

Done right, I wouldn't hate a new Austin Powers flick. Maybe go full blown Daniel Craig realistic Austin Powers. Shot like a serious movie, but with only stupid shit happening.

<mma4>

Dude that's a seriously great idea. I'd watch the shit outta that

The one trilogy I honestly cant say which of 3 is best. It's more like what's my mood. All 3 are great none is really better as all have unique stuff. Grest trilogy

Even the female leads (bond girls) are so damn close. Primes of Hurley , Graham, Beyonce
I lean slightly in favor of Graham but really close

Mike Meyers career was over after Love Geru, he attempted another Shrek movie but that fell flat too. It's unfortunate, his impressions are excellent and he can still bring great comedy with the right script.
Meyers was an all time asshole on set n few folks I heard could stand to work with him after he became a big name. Sad as his Powers movies and Wayne's world were greatness.

Movie 1: International Man of Mystery

View attachment 1021274

Synopsis: A world-class playboy and part-time secret agent from the 1960s emerges after thirty years in a cryogenic state to battle with his nemesis Dr. Evil.

My Rating: 8/10

I watched this over the weekend and it was my first time seeing it in a very long time. Just like the countless times prior I love this movie. Mike Meyers can make me laugh or smile with ease playing Austin & Dr Evil. Vanessa is easily the hottest Austin girl but in all of the movies I think Alotta Fa gina is easily the sexiest. Everything in this movie hits for me, the comedy, the characters, the story and the ending. It holds up really well and is still one of my fav comedies of the 90s.

Movie 2: The Spy that Shagged Me

View attachment 1021276

Synopsis: Dr. Evil is back and has invented a new time machine that allows him to go back to the 1960s and steal Austin Powers' mojo, inadvertently leaving him "shagless".

My rating: 8/10

I put the first 2 films on the same level but for different reasons. While the first film is regarded as the "better" film, it's the characters in the 2nd that makes this film much more memorable (Mini me & Fat Bastard) plus the additions of Graham and Lowe were enough to make the characters in the sequel far superior than the original.

I didn't like losing Elizabeth Hurley for Heather Graham or making Hurley a fem bot (basically ruins everything she did in the first film) but they do make it work and the opening sequence is hilarious and even better than the first film.

The funniest scene to me is the Jerry Springer scene with Dr Evil & Scott. The chemistry between Meyers and Green is excellent and it gets funnier in the film (at the table)
I also liked Dr Evil is more comedic in this film, he is arguably the funniest character in the film ( at least my favourite)

Overall the first film is the better film but the second film is the one you'll most likely remember or quote afterwards because of how great the characters are in the second film. The jokes are slightly better in the first film but the characters in the second are so strong they help bring the laughter even if a few jokes don't land/are dull.

Movie 3: Goldmember

View attachment 1021293

Synopsis: Upon learning that his father has been kidnapped, Austin Powers must travel to 1975 and defeat the aptly named villain Goldmember, who is working with Dr. Evil.

My Rating: 6/10

It's decent at best. There are some really good jokes/laughs but for the most part it's not very good at all. I would rather watch YouTube clips instead of watching the entire movie again. They tried to do too much at once and for me it didn't work.

I thought Beyonce was absolutely terrible. I get she was the biggest female star at the time but they should have cast someone else. There is 0 chemistry between her and Mike Meyers, she's a mediocre actress and she isn't funny at all. I didn't like the new character Goldmember either. Huge miss with both characters.

I did like Michael Caine as Austin's father but I didn't find him that funny either. To me Dr Evil and Scottie carried the film. The storyline with them should have been more of the focus.

I hated the younger school versions of the characters as well. There was nothing funny about the entire scene. I also didn't like Austin and Dr Evil teaming up/getting along plus the whole thing with them being brothers.

Overall it's decent at best, there is some good comedy in it but inferior to the first 2 films.

Overall

Story - International

Comedy - International/Spy

Characters - Spy that shagged me

Music - Spy that shagged me

Ending - International
For me the first one is 6.5/10
Second one is 9/10
Third one I haven't seen.

I never heard that but meh the man is a genius either way

They say the same thing about ben Stiller. Honestly I dont always believe every X celebrity is an asshole story. With guys like Stiller and Meyers you're dealing with highly creative guys who are passionate about their projects and most likely arent going to be in a great mood all of the time.

Mike Meyers career was over after Love Geru, he attempted another Shrek movie but that fell flat too. It's unfortunate, his impressions are excellent and he can still bring great comedy with the right script.

Strangely comedy actors more than matinee idol leading men seem to find hard times once age really hits their face. Bill Murray didn't really carry blockbuster comedies as a charismatic lead for too much longer after Groundhog Day. Jim Carrey can't do that anymore either and Mike Myers once said that he was unthreatening on screen because he literally had no sex appeal...but even still time has done the same number on him as most others in terms of being in close ups on screen for two straight hours. Chevy Chase just lost his mojo altogether somewhere in the 80s and so did Dan Aykroyd. Eddie Murphy was in a fat suit and wigs to sell tickets by the 90s. Even when age doesn't really do a number on someone, and Murphy and Chase were largely spared, the comedy legs just seem to tire out more quickly. Comedy changes every decade and John Ritter's stuff in the 70s didn't sell in the 80s, Chevy's stuff in the 80s didn't sell in the 90s, Jim Carrey was mostly out of favor in the 00s, then it was the Judd Apatow era and now nobody makes a Judd Apatow type comedy anymore.

Meanwhile...it seems to take a lot longer for their dramatic counterparts to lose it if indeed they ever do.

They say the same thing about ben Stiller. Honestly I dont always believe every X celebrity is an asshole story. With guys like Stiller and Meyers you're dealing with highly creative guys who are passionate about their projects and most likely arent going to be in a great mood all of the time.

Yeah I can't imagine the stress they are under trying to make a movie funny. Being nice isn't a requirement for watching/enjoying a movie lol

Strangely comedy actors more than matinee idol leading men seem to find hard times once age really hits their face. Bill Murray didn't really carry blockbuster comedies as a charismatic lead for too much longer after Groundhog Day. Jim Carrey can't do that anymore either and Mike Myers once said that he was unthreatening on screen because he literally had no sex appeal...but even still time has done the same number on him as most others in terms of being in close ups on screen for two straight hours. Chevy Chase just lost his mojo altogether somewhere in the 80s and so did Dan Aykroyd. Eddie Murphy was in a fat suit and wigs to sell tickets by the 90s. Even when age doesn't really do a number on someone, and Murphy and Chase were largely spared, the comedy legs just seem to tire out more quickly. Comedy changes every decade and John Ritter's stuff in the 70s didn't sell in the 80s, Chevy's stuff in the 80s didn't sell in the 90s, Jim Carrey was mostly out of favor in the 00s, then it was the Judd Apatow era and now nobody makes a Judd Apatow type comedy anymore.

Meanwhile...it seems to take a lot longer for their dramatic counterparts to lose it if indeed they ever do.

Excellent take. Never really thought about it that way but it makes perfect sense. I think Bill Murray might be the only one that comes close to pulling it off.

Steve Martin seemed to do pretty good at rolling with the changes.

Like most people on here, the first and second where classics but the third one was unwatchable

Steve Martin seemed to do pretty good at rolling with the changes.

Did he roll with things better than I seem to remember? He was consistently a beast throughout the 70s and 80s then kind of had a moment in the 90s with Father of the Bride and a moment later on with the Pink Panther remake. Other than mostly stuff that didn't sell a lot of tickets or smaller projects although some relatively interesting ones like Novocaine.

Back