Movies Austin Powers Trilogy

The Good The Bad The HBK

Pitbull Owner
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Movie 1: International Man of Mystery

6-austin-powers-aw-220412-33afa8.jpg

Synopsis: A world-class playboy and part-time secret agent from the 1960s emerges after thirty years in a cryogenic state to battle with his nemesis Dr. Evil.

My Rating: 8/10

I watched this over the weekend and it was my first time seeing it in a very long time. Just like the countless times prior I love this movie. Mike Meyers can make me laugh or smile with ease playing Austin & Dr Evil. Vanessa is easily the hottest Austin girl but in all of the movies I think Alotta Fa gina is easily the sexiest. Everything in this movie hits for me, the comedy, the characters, the story and the ending. It holds up really well and is still one of my fav comedies of the 90s.

Movie 2: The Spy that Shagged Me

austin-powers-2000-c271620e2d2a4456b650c35c33a40148.jpg

Synopsis: Dr. Evil is back and has invented a new time machine that allows him to go back to the 1960s and steal Austin Powers' mojo, inadvertently leaving him "shagless".

My rating: 8/10

I put the first 2 films on the same level but for different reasons. While the first film is regarded as the "better" film, it's the characters in the 2nd that makes this film much more memorable (Mini me & Fat Bastard) plus the additions of Graham and Lowe were enough to make the characters in the sequel far superior than the original.

I didn't like losing Elizabeth Hurley for Heather Graham or making Hurley a fem bot (basically ruins everything she did in the first film) but they do make it work and the opening sequence is hilarious and even better than the first film.

The funniest scene to me is the Jerry Springer scene with Dr Evil & Scott. The chemistry between Meyers and Green is excellent and it gets funnier in the film (at the table)
I also liked Dr Evil is more comedic in this film, he is arguably the funniest character in the film ( at least my favourite)

Overall the first film is the better film but the second film is the one you'll most likely remember or quote afterwards because of how great the characters are in the second film. The jokes are slightly better in the first film but the characters in the second are so strong they help bring the laughter even if a few jokes don't land/are dull.

Movie 3: Goldmember

jk53ly6e14541.jpg

Synopsis: Upon learning that his father has been kidnapped, Austin Powers must travel to 1975 and defeat the aptly named villain Goldmember, who is working with Dr. Evil.

My Rating: 6/10

It's decent at best. There are some really good jokes/laughs but for the most part it's not very good at all. I would rather watch YouTube clips instead of watching the entire movie again. They tried to do too much at once and for me it didn't work.

I thought Beyonce was absolutely terrible. I get she was the biggest female star at the time but they should have cast someone else. There is 0 chemistry between her and Mike Meyers, she's a mediocre actress and she isn't funny at all. I didn't like the new character Goldmember either. Huge miss with both characters.

I did like Michael Caine as Austin's father but I didn't find him that funny either. To me Dr Evil and Scottie carried the film. The storyline with them should have been more of the focus.

I hated the younger school versions of the characters as well. There was nothing funny about the entire scene. I also didn't like Austin and Dr Evil teaming up/getting along plus the whole thing with them being brothers.

Overall it's decent at best, there is some good comedy in it but inferior to the first 2 films.

Overall

Story - International

Comedy - International/Spy

Characters - Spy that shagged me

Music - Spy that shagged me

Ending - International

Last edited:
The 1st one was my favorite. Besides being off the wall, a good satire retro/throwback, and hilarious it had a lot of heart. Was like a 9-9.5/10 for me.

Was bummed when they got rid of Elizabeth Hurley in the 2nd but I have to admit adding Mini Me was hilarious and yeah the Scott and Dr. Evil scenes were gold. Probably a 9/10.

And the 3rd was awful, other than that fake trailer at the beginning with Tom Cruise and Danny DeVito. Goldmember was lame and Beyonce is beyond terrible. Like you said zero chemistry with Mike Myers, can't act worth a shit, and terrible catchphrase over and over. Also so much recycled material. Probably like a 3-4/10.

The original made me laugh so much when I first saw it as a kid. The 2nd was decent and it was kind of played out by the 3rd, but the first was easily one of my fondest movie memories from my childhood

The original made me laugh so much when I first saw it as a kid. The 2nd was decent and it was kind of played out by the 3rd, but the first was easily one of my fondest movie memories from my childhood

Same.

I don't think I've ever laughed so hard as i did in the first.

First one is legendary.

Second and third dropped off pretty hard respectively after that.

I love the Austin Powers movies. First two are great. The third one sucks and feels like a spoof of the first two.

Mike Myers needs to make another trilogy of these.
Think he's too scared after how bad The Love Guru was

Same.

I don't think I've ever laughed so hard as i did in the first.
The who does #2 work for scene with Tom Arnold had me laughing till it hurt, but so many classics. Sharks/sea bass with laser beams, 1 million dollars, Austin having zero idea how to play blackjack, turning around the cart in the narrow hallway, Joe Son throwing shoes, so many great bits.

I liked all three but obviously the first one is the best by a wide margin. I don't really go into these kinds of movies with high expectations and don't really bother trying to rate different aspects of the films.

123 is the correct order I agree. But I'd give the first around a 9.5, second around an 8.5.

Goldmember I'd give around a 7 or so. Weakest one but Michael Caine adds a bit of something to it.

When i watched the first one it was one of the funniest movies id ever seen, and that's how i still look at it.

First - 9/10
Second - 8/10
Third - 6.5

Its an underrated comedy

Tried to rewatched them recently. First one was good, 2nd one less so and 3rd one kinda crap with some fun scenes.

That said, I'm very confused why there isn't a 4th one. Seems like a brand that could be milked for some more. And has some nostalgia to it as well now.

Done right, I wouldn't hate a new Austin Powers flick. Maybe go full blown Daniel Craig realistic Austin Powers. Shot like a serious movie, but with only stupid shit happening.

Back