Atari First Game Console In 20 Years

Another NVidia Tegra or similar system-on-chip platform I'm guessing running an Android-based OS.

[Atari's] first official console in over 20 years
Are they implying that a defunct company has been releasing unofficial consoles for 20 years?

This+stupid+meme+can+die+faster+if+you+point+them+_a3a9085c80445f4eb0e9cd0c039e58fb.gif

Another NVidia Tegra or similar system-on-chip platform I'm guessing running an Android-based OS.

No I am pretty sure they said it was going to be built on an X86 compatible chip that means unlikely ARM based device running Android could be wrong because so little has been talked about in the console.

Is there enough nostalgia for this to sell?

Doubt it.

I smell a flop... unless it turns out to be dirt cheap.

You can already buy a variety of Steambox's a.k.a. Console-PC's.

Atari games do not age well.

Or maybe I was simply too young? Owned an Atari once but most of those were games were simplistically compared to NES games. Once I saw Super Mario Brothers on NES I knew I couldn't go backwards from anything past that point timewise.

So this is a new console that will be competing with PS4/XBone or Switch???

I am so confused... What exclusives could they possibly have that would steer me to buy one? Primal Rage???

http://m.ca.ign.com/articles/2017/09/26/ataribox-will-be-a-full-pc-experience-for-the-tv

Ive been kind of out of the loop for years, but isn't Linux shit for gaming? How's this a "full PC experience for the TV" when it can't do what most PCs can?
It's not. By declaring that it is Linux based, I can now concretely say that you will be better off just getting a Rasberry Pi, throwing some emulators and Kodi on it. You will be much better off at a 1/4 of the price.

$250 to $300?! Really?!

It's also very telling that they are deciding to crowd fund through IndieGoGo. Unlike Kickstarter, you don't need a working prototype to crowdfund a physical product on IndieGoGo. Furthermore, if it doesn't reach their funding goal they are in no way required to return any of the crowd funds gathered.

This shit has red flags all over it. It smells worst than the Coleco Chameleon at this point.

It's not. By declaring that it is Linux based, I can now concretely say that you will be better off just getting a Rasberry Pi, throwing some emulators and Kodi on it. You will be much better off at a 1/4 of the price.

$250 to $300?! Really?!

It's also very telling that they are deciding to crowd fund through IndieGoGo. Unlike Kickstarter, you don't need a working prototype to crowdfund a physical product on IndieGoGo. Furthermore, if it doesn't reach their funding goal they are in no way required to return any of the crowd funds gathered.

This shit has red flags all over it. It smells worst than the Coleco Chameleon at this point.

At this point someone would need to be retarded to support the project since this is literally NOT the Atari company from the early 80s. This is a completely new company that has simply purchased the trademark "Atari".

What a shit show:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/10/08/atari_architect_quits/
Here is a short version of our two-week investigation:

• The Atari VCS will be extremely limited as a console. It is effectively a $250-ish PC in a nice-looking retro box.
  • Atari’s main architect has quit, claiming he has not been paid in months.
  • Penny-pinching throughout the development process has resulted in a range of bad decisions that effectively prevents the Atari VCS from calling itself a dedicated games console.
  • No original games developers have signed up to the Atari VCS, two years after launch. And they are unlikely to in future, either.
  • There will be no native apps, and services like Netflix will be accessed through a modified browser.
  • The Atari VCS is unlikely to hit its March 2020 deadline, and may in fact never launch.

We now know that Atari did not even have a working prototype when it re-relaunched its VCS console in June with a new launch date of March 2020. The first prototype motherboard designed by Wyatt arrived three months later in September. That’s last month.

At least Ouya released a product. I doubt this ever gets produced.
I agree somewhat but this is still the Atari brand name even in name only. But looking at the motherboard it looks like there is no custom ASIC'S and a huge amount of discrete components.

Hardly breakthrough product. Not looking good but it would have been nice to have the brand rebooted. This really isn't a steam console because the steam console needed a powerful GPU an CPU.

Back