Atari First Game Console In 20 Years

PEB

Sunflower in support of Ukraine
@Steel
Reaction score

What is known it's PC compatible looks like it's not going to be cheap and not just for playing retro games.

Looks like it''s going to resemble a high end stereo component then a PC. Unless it has mind blowing computing power I don't know how well it will sell.

Looks like they are following the marketing strategy for Metroid Prime 4. haha

I've been a console gamer all my life and have stayed away from PC gaming for the simplicity. What I love about a console is I buy a game for my console and it works. No bullshit about how will it run, will it be optimized, is my hardware buff enough to run it, etc. But I have to say the idea of something like the Steambox is kind of interesting to me. Again, I have no desire to build or upgrade my own PC, but I would love to have access to Steam and it's library. I was hoping that Xbone or Xbone X would have a Steam App or something along those lines to play Steam games, but of course that's just wishful thinking.

So I don't know... if this thing is simple to use, works well, and can play 99.9% of games without any bullshit, I could see a serious market for something like this. Guess we'll have to see what ends up happening with it all, but I'll keep an eye out.

Best of luck to one of the pioneers in the industry.

I love new consoles but I dont know what to expect from this. Exciting though.

I've been a console gamer all my life and have stayed away from PC gaming for the simplicity. What I love about a console is I buy a game for my console and it works. No bullshit about how will it run, will it be optimized, is my hardware buff enough to run it, etc. But I have to say the idea of something like the Steambox is kind of interesting to me. Again, I have no desire to build or upgrade my own PC, but I would love to have access to Steam and it's library. I was hoping that Xbone or Xbone X would have a Steam App or something along those lines to play Steam games, but of course that's just wishful thinking.

So I don't know... if this thing is simple to use, works well, and can play 99.9% of games without any bullshit, I could see a serious market for something like this. Guess we'll have to see what ends up happening with it all, but I'll keep an eye out.

I've gone back and forth on PC gaming and console gaming. At the end of the day I just can't stand using a mouse and keyboard so PC always loses. I can't even hope to compete with people online with a controller. I love everything else about PC gaming but that controller thing destroys everything. Everything else I can adjust my PC to mimic a console.

I've gone back and forth on PC gaming and console gaming. At the end of the day I just can't stand using a mouse and keyboard so PC always loses. I can't even hope to compete with people online with a controller. I love everything else about PC gaming but that controller thing destroys everything. Everything else I can adjust my PC to mimic a console.
Why don't you just link a controller to your PC? You could even do it with a PS3/4 or XBOX controller.

Why don't you just link a controller to your PC? You could even do it with a PS3/4 or XBOX controller.

The problem is when I play online games like Overwatch, BF4, etc. I'm completely outclassed using a controller. I even found the steam controller to use for games like Pillars of Eternity and it was great but the final hurdle is online competitive games. There just is no way to get around the controller issue there. Don't see how they ever resolve that other than splitting the community between KB&M and Controller users which I don't see happening every.

My 1st console was 2600. Im curious and hopefully optimistic.

Atari is more than a brand name.... it's a culture. Watch the Atari documentary on Netflix... It was probably the best place to work back in the day. Guys would single handedly write a game in a matter of weeks. Programmers were true rock stars. Every line of code had to be written effeciently. Basically super talented programmers would do a bunch of drugs at work until they came up with a vision of what would make a fun game.

Before Atari there were'nt any other games to compare to. There were'nt really any game "genres" because nothing else like it existed. The sound tracks of those games 35 years later are still more recognizable than todays multi million dolalr productions.

Atari is more than a brand name.... it's a culture. Watch the Atari documentary on Netflix... It was probably the best place to work back in the day. Guys would single handedly write a game in a matter of weeks. Programmers were true rock stars. Every line of code had to be written effeciently. Basically super talented programmers would do a bunch of drugs at work until they came up with a vision of what would make a fun game.

Before Atari there were'nt any other games to compare to. There were'nt really any game "genres" because nothing else like it existed. The sound tracks of those games 35 years later are still more recognizable than todays multi million dolalr productions.
Yea but that culture and that company have been dead for decades
None of those people will have anything to do with this console or anything else that has the Atari logo slapped on it, its just a marketing tool now

Agree with everything you said here
Would love to check out Steam, would hate to have to deal with a PC

The big "ATARI" sign in the new Blade Runner trailer had me scratching my head. Now it all makes sense.

Good luck to them, but seriously, what properties does Atari still own the rights to? They must be banking on some serious third party support.

Yeah, but this isn't them.

Atari literally is nothing more than a licensed trademark that's changed owner like a dozen times since the 1984 video game crash.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari

This week, Atari sent out an email to unveil their official next-gen console, the Ataribox. The system was first teased at e3 last month, but the New York-based company opted to not reveal the product. Now, readying their first official console in over 20 years, the new Ataribox is set to have classic games (see: NES Classic), as well as deliver modern games with current-gen comparable specs.

Luckily, the company is taking their time with the release, as the system will come in models: black and red, and wood grain models. The new box includes four USB ports, for controllers and accessories; as well as an HMDI port – we’re assuming for 1080p (hopefully 4K).

Look for a list of games and video reveals to emerge, likely this holiday season. Although no price point was indicated, we’re hopeful the system is under $250. Take a look at the official images below.

atari3-750x422.jpeg

atari2-750x422.jpeg

atari1-750x422.jpeg

atari4-750x422.jpeg

http://onsmash.com/gaming/atari-unveils-first-images-of-next-gen-ataribox-console/

I'm not sure what they mean by "the company's first console in 20 years" since this company is not the one that even made the old 2600. This is a new company that bought the trademark to use the name "Atari".

Back