At which point does Size triumph over Skill?

What if we turned it into a hypothetical one year of training before the fight? Is a year long camp enough for LeBron to beat Keith Hackney in a fight?
What if we gave keith hackney the super soldier serum

what is Grasso doing there

depends what the size is, and how equal they are in other areas. a fat, slow, unathletic, timid giant will lose to a fast, skilled, athletic manlet. but if the only disparity is size and skill, eventually size (and commensurate strength) becomes the decisive advantage.

more generally, raw physicality can trump skill at a certain point. just look at francis’s mma career.

100%, Takase wouldn't even make welterweight today
He would be a small WW today indeed but lets not exaggerate

He was 175lbs vs Horn being skinny in his very early 20s.
Most recently he weighted in at 220lbs vs HW journeyman Carlos Toyota (obviously overweight, but still).

Btw he suffered one of the most brutal KOs I can recall at the hands of Nate Marquard, who has one of the best HL KOs ever in the sport imo (Takase KO ranks #3 in this video)

Saw this (seemingly ridiculous) picture and wondered: at which point does size beat skill? How much of a size advantage would it take for a person with the fighting knowledge of an early 20th century farmer to beat an MMA champion in a fight?
View attachment 1031470

Size prevales over skill when both men have the same skills or general knowledge in a skill set
If the big guy knows bjj
Even though the little guy is a bjj pro he may not be able to do shit to him regarding grappling..

If the big guy is a state champ wrestler and the little guys d1 the big guy is gonna win.. more than likely

Unless this little guy has crazy fight iq

He would be a small WW today indeed but lets not exaggerate

He was 175lbs vs Horn being skinny in his very early 20s.
Most recently he weighted in at 220lbs vs HW journeyman Carlos Toyota (obviously overweight, but still).

Btw he suffered one of the most brutal KOs I can recall at the hands of Nate Marquard, who has one of the best HL KOs ever in the sport imo (Takase KO ranks #3 in this video)

Fucking brootal knee. I thought he weighed in at like 167 for Yarborough which is why I though he'd probably cut to lw, didn't know he fought up to 175 against Horn and didn't realize he's actually 6 foot tall.

If skill could overcome significant physical advantage than we wouldn't need WMMA.

A reasonably in shape sherdogger over six feet tall 200 pounds plus could simply sit on most of the 145 division and they’d have to tap out. Even some of the small 155ers one could simply keep them at bay by outstretching your arm and putting your hand on their forehead. A few punches after the manlets get tired out whaling their arms in an attempt to strike you and you’d have them knocked out.

Depends on how athletic the bigger guy is and if hes completely useless or has some basic level of ability. Also depends on whether the bigger guy is significantly taller with a longer reach or just heavier.

Overall i'd say an elite level FW for instance would lose to a C level MW.

Yes, I wasn't talking exclusively about fat people, I just thought the size difference of Mills Darden at 7'6" 800lbs and DJ at 5'3" 125 was the most David and Goliath one I could think of as unlike other historically huge people, Mills was mobile and upright to his dying day, showing incredible strength such as being able to over power a bull and pull it backwards. Dude must have had the strongest quads of all time.
Pic says 860. Guinness accepted 1020. Where'd you get 800?

Anyway, a farmer that size... What could MM do? Imagine they meet inside a barn. Dude wouldn't chase him, can't be taken down, MMs strongest flying kick would barely reach Darden's liver. MM would run away, unharmed.
Imagine a 125lbs dude mounting a 1020lbs man while he's asleep. The giant would get up without noticing it was MM and not his small dog on top of him.

Also, his wives must've been at least 6'8 400lbs. Like Brian Shaw and Hafthor.

When the big guy bear hugs the skilled guy.

I don't think he would go down easy, Keith is an old ripper, but I do think a guy Lebron's size connecting with even a few good shots is lights out. Semmy Schilt never had the slickest kickboxing technique, but he put beatdowns on a lot of guys by being extremely efficient with his range and size.

Semmy spent his life in the fight game, he wasn't just size. Can LeBron even throw a punch?

At whichever point the bigger guy beats the smaller guy. It's a sliding scale for both factors with a bit of luck thrown in for spice.

Back