At what point does Karate, and Tae Kwon Do actually help you?

Frankie Baby!

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Me personally, I think if you're in high school, and do either, you're gonna get fucked up in a fight. But if you're like Anthony Pettis, and Sage Northcutt can mix it with boxing, and kickboxing, you can fuck people up.

Idk, I'm not too knowledgeable, and reliable compared to a lot more people on here, I've really only been watching MMA for over a year.

Discuss

It can work in highscool. Grade school even Hebrew school. It teaches stuff that won't always work but when it does it works big.

I trained karate as a child
In elementary school I kicked a bully in the nuts when he tried to fuck with me
I ran the playground after that
until I kid who trained jujitsu got me in a flying leg lock

Certain techniques I believe can help when a fighter isn't suspecting it but to use Tae Kwon Do and Karate as your main disciplines, I believe you won't get far.

I trained karate as a child
In elementary school I kicked a bully in the nuts when he tried to fuck with me
I ran the playground after that
until I kid who trained jujitsu got me in a flying leg lock
It's ok broseph. at least you're part of the Platinum Nation.

The movement/evasiveness of Karate (sport karate style) > movement/evasiveness of any other martial art.

Just watch Wonderboy and Michael Page fights (obv excluding the Woodley fights). They are rarely ever hit and avoid nearly everything. Both have a highly decorated sport karate/kickboxing background.

maybe post this in the Standup Tech section

Me personally, I think if you're in high school, and do either, you're gonna get fucked up in a fight. But if you're like Anthony Pettis, and Sage Northcutt can mix it with boxing, and kickboxing, you can fuck people up.

Idk, I'm not too knowledgeable, and reliable compared to a lot more people on here, I've really only been watching MMA for over a year.

Discuss
biggest thing it did for me was made me not scared to stand infront of someone to fight. That's a big part of fighting. Doing tournys and stuff just got you used to a fight scenario. But your right besides that, its not the greatest street fighting tool. But definitely made me more comfortable while in street fights

If you're actually any good at either (which most people who "train" aren't) then it absolutely helps. Your average Joe Meathead isn't at all expecting to get railed with kicks from distance, for instance.

giphy.gif

Machida pulled out the Crane Kick and it worked out well against Randy. He even lost his tooth.

No can defend

It can work in highscool. Grade school even Hebrew school. It teaches stuff that won't always work but when it does it works big.
Most people can't fight, so against the average person they'd be okay. Better than nothing.

If you want your kid to be able to defend themselves without to much hassle just enroll them in wrestling.

I did full 5 minute Tae Kwon Do pattern in front of a bully in school and he ran away crying.

It works.

Discuss

At the point when you can kick someone in the head or body accurately, with power, with timing so that they can't defend the blow, and last but most importantly with balance.

Anyone that's been wailing away at a bag or pads for a few months can usually wing their shin up to someones head, but to do it while maintaining balance so that you can evade or throw follow up shots is a different story.

Tae Kwon Do and Karate help you when you are in a spelling contest involving Asian words

Started in TKD and received a brown belt from a McDojo here. Worked against guys that absolutely know nothing. A kick to the ribs worked wonders and finished one guy in HS.

First time I got my asses kicked was a fat boy closing the distance and putting me in a cheesy school yard head lock and he beat my ass.

My first six months in Muay Thai helped more than the 3+ years in TKD, without a doubt. 2 years later, I spar with black belts in pure striking and beat "most" of them on the regular. I have also had 6 years BJJ and now laugh at how easy I could've escaped that headlock. But that's what training is all about; learning.

So as many have pointed out, better than nothing and very effective against untrained guys. If they train, not all that effective unless you are cross training other arts, imo.

TKD only works against people who can't punch. Karate depends. There are dojos where people are trained in a more kickbox-oriented karate style, which can be very effective

Back