At what age does a BJJ player peak?

DanMMAleague

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Age categories start at 30.

However, to look at MMA you see the likes of Yoel doing well at 40, Wonderboy at 35, Woodley at 36 and the list is vast.

So the seniors at 30 doesn’t seem to make sense.

What age do you think they are at their best?

You always have the option to compete in the adult division if you want. Masters divisions exist so that guys with careers can compete against each other without getting mowed down by 20-25 year old "professional BJJ athletes".

The Masters 1 guys in BJJ are still in their prime, it's just a category for those who aren't good enough for the adult brackets.
Hard to at what age you can still win at top level as the champions of the far past even if they where still in their prime aren't technical enough to win nowadays anyway.

The Masters 1 guys in BJJ are still in their prime, it's just a category for those who aren't good enough for the adult brackets.
Hard to at what age you can still win at top level as the champions of the far past even if they where still in their prime aren't technical enough to win nowadays anyway.

Who are some of the oldest BJJ champs, any idea?

The ability to do several tough matches in a day declines faster than the ability to beat individual youngsters, IMO. You'll see more of the 35+ crowd successful in an individual match/super-fight format than when they have to bounce back up to fight for the sixth time in an afternoon.

What age an athlete peaks depends on what age they started and how many injuries they have had usually

The ability to do several tough matches in a day declines faster than the ability to beat individual youngsters, IMO. You'll see more of the 35+ crowd successful in an individual match/super-fight format than when they have to bounce back up to fight for the sixth time in an afternoon.

Probably this.

I'm 36 yet have no issues mowing down half of the people at my academy who are younger than me and even at same belt level. I'm not the best but not the worst there either, but definately one of the older ones.

Its more about endurance and recovery than a one-on-one stand alone match IMO. We have a young guy in his early 20s who just did a competition and did both gi and no gi for a total of like 12 matches in one day. To me thats just insane and there is no way I can do that many in a single day and competition

As more and more time passes I'm honestly begining to believe that my main challenge is not age or even injuries, but family and work obligations. I still train 5 times a week at least but its getting harder and harder as the kids schedules keep changing and my wife gets more and more pissed off with me training so much

As more and more time passes I'm honestly begining to believe that my main challenge is not age or even injuries, but family and work obligations.

Roger Gracie claimed that this the biggest reason for his retirement.

Cobrinha was a worlds gi and ADCC champion in 2017 at 37.

Cobrinha was my first coach and one of my all-time favorite competitors, but even though he keeps winning I think he's looking progressively more human these past few years. He *barely* squeaked by Shane Hill-Taylor last year. He may have 1-2 more in him but I think Father Time is sneaking up.

Biologically your 20's is your peak decade. But in a skill sport you can compensate.

I’m 51 and still getting better. I’ll let you know when I finally peak.

Cobrinha was my first coach and one of my all-time favorite competitors, but even though he keeps winning I think he's looking progressively more human these past few years. He *barely* squeaked by Shane Hill-Taylor last year. He may have 1-2 more in him but I think Father Time is sneaking up.

But 2017 was his first win in years?

And the sport has become more competitive.

But 2017 was his first win in years?

And the sport has become more competitive.

Rafa was stopping Cobrinha from the golds for a long time. Rafa retired recently. BTW Rafa is less acrobatic than Cobrinha (but more technical) despite being younger.

Still waiting for that Marcelo vs Mendes super fight.

People are missing one of the most important parts. Especially the older people who never done real sports before Bjj..

How competitive those world class players actually are

How competitive those world class players actually are

You mean that the world class players or completely different than the regular hobbyist? Or that they are a long way past their peak and keep winning due to their sheer drive?

I'd imagine somewhere in your late 20's, like most athletes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back