At what age does a BJJ player peak?

Cobrinha was a worlds gi and ADCC champion in 2017 at 37.

Daniel Beleza was a runner up at worlds in 2015 I believe at age 40. he lost to a miyao in the finals .

He also got bronze in 2013 at 38 .

Pretty sure it's different for everyone.

What age an athlete peaks depends on what age they started and how many injuries they have had usually

I've heard this is why American powerlifter's set records later in life - they don't get into it until they'really in their late 20''s or even 30's so they peak later.

If everyone started super young I'm sure most would reach their genetic potential in their 20's.

The current crop of AOJ kids are a good example of people who will reach this in the next few years.

That'a kind of the cool thing about getting into athletics later in life. Your baseline is 0 so every year is your best year lol.

You mean that the world class players or completely different than the regular hobbyist? Or that they are a long way past their peak and keep winning due to their sheer drive?
Both, when hobbyists or new people ask some variation of the question “is it still possible for me” etc. I invariably find that they are never competitive enough to even approach world medals

You are correct. Another thing to think about though, starting at 13 and starting at 35 totally changes your timeline. I could get more into it but for a basics an injury three years into your career that requires surgery like a knee surgery would be easy and quick to recover from at 16. At 38 your body in no way will react as well as the 16 year olds. Also on top of the fact the 38 year old may question his sports participation if it is causing injuries that take him out of work and family stuff. I guess that comes back to the post of life situations limiting careers.

More than all that, it's the total amount of injuries preventing full on year round training multiple times a day. I dont care what age you are, if you, like me, have had 2 knee surgeries and 4 total knee injuries, you will not be able to make every day a great training day and get the most out of you athletics. Thus effecting when you peak as an athlete

If I had to give a number i'd say late 20's. Best combination of recovery,strength, and maturity.Most BJJ World champs are in their late 20's. That said, it is a combination of things. One important aspect is total mat time. Most of the older BJJ champs started BJJ later in life. Cobrinha started BJJ at 21 and Quiexinho(over 30) started in his late teens. As kids are getting more competitive at younger ages, I see the average World Champion peak years getting younger. It is hard to maintain the competitive drive and physical ability over decades.

There has been a study about peak performance of Greco Roman wrestlers. For heavier weight classes peak performance is later due to the amount of time it takes for strength to mature. But accounting for experience peak performance for the lowest weight class is 23.89±3.41 so from about 20 to 27 and for the heaviest weight class 25.35±3.75 or about 21 to 29.

I found this part very interesting:

Information can be found in literature saying that wrestlers achieve their best results at the age between 24 and 27 years (Bompa, 1999). It is an interesting fact that various strength parameters also peak at this age. From 2002 to 2012 the trend of wrestlers’ peak performance age was decreasing; the wrestlers won their first European medals at a younger age despite the fact that better wrestlers were older according to more recent studies (Lopez-Gullon, et al., 2011; Pallares, et al., 2012). The trend decreased from 2003–2004 to 2010–2011 for approximately three years. The explanation for the decrease of the trend should be looked for in the progress of sports training and all relevant factors related to it, like for the decrease in the training experience trend.

So it appears that peak performance age dropped due to better training methods.

Link to study here https://hrcak.srce.hr/file/188790

There has been a study about peak performance of Greco Roman wrestlers. For heavier weight classes peak performance is later due to the amount of time it takes for strength to mature. But accounting for experience peak performance for the lowest weight class is 23.89±3.41 so from about 20 to 27 and for the heaviest weight class 25.35±3.75 or about 21 to 29.

I found this part very interesting:

Information can be found in literature saying that wrestlers achieve their best results at the age between 24 and 27 years (Bompa, 1999). It is an interesting fact that various strength parameters also peak at this age. From 2002 to 2012 the trend of wrestlers’ peak performance age was decreasing; the wrestlers won their first European medals at a younger age despite the fact that better wrestlers were older according to more recent studies (Lopez-Gullon, et al., 2011; Pallares, et al., 2012). The trend decreased from 2003–2004 to 2010–2011 for approximately three years. The explanation for the decrease of the trend should be looked for in the progress of sports training and all relevant factors related to it, like for the decrease in the training experience trend.

So it appears that peak performance age dropped due to better training methods.

Link to study here https://hrcak.srce.hr/file/188790
I agree with this for sure. One thing to think about is the different athletic requirements between wrestling and jiu jitsu. I believe strength and explosiveness is much more important in wrestling as opposed to jiu jitsu. I know it is close between the two, but I believe an aging wrestler is at a bigger disadvantage due to conditioning decline rather than a jiu jitsu guy who had learned to be more efficient and has a huge wealth of technique knowledge .

Biologically your 20's is your peak decade. But in a skill sport you can compensate.

Even in a sport of pure athleticism Gatlin was champ in sprinting at 35 and Merlene Ottey won bronze at the world championships at 40.

i feel i get better and better with age i got my brown at 20 in 2012 i just turned 27 and i remember back then feeling alot weaker than i am now people say they dont wana fight young 20 year olds but i feel u really start to get stronger around 26 is when i really noticed i became naturally stronger more explosive

Back