AT&T & Comcast to give $1,000 bonuses to more than 200,000 employees because of tax bill passage

$1000 is a paltry sum of money, hardly enough for a month's worth of rent in most places. Not to mention that by offering it as a bonus it will be taxed more heavily than if they would have had the decency to offer these people actual raises.

Corporations are not your friends. Fuck anyone itt propping up att and Comcast. You people are fucking retarded for taking their bait
I bet nobody showed up to your birthday parties when you were a kid.

You’re psychotic. You have to be to function in the vacuum from which you choose to live. You’ve completely ignored that the United States corporate rate is ridiculously higher than the rest of the developed world and based it all on Boeing.

S&P 500 top 20 largest companies provided by Washington post:

ATT - 32.5%
Berkshire Hathaway - 27.5%
Apple -25.5%
CVS-39%
Exxon - negative - has been 33%
Costco - 34%
Kroger - 33%
Chevron - all over - had been 39%
Walmart - 30%
AmerisourceBergen - 33%
General Motors - 21%
McKesson - 24%
UnitedHealth - 40%
Ford - 32%
Amazon - 37.5%
GE - negative
Verizon - 35%
Cardinal Health - 35%
Walgreens - 23%
Fannie Mae - controlled by gov

So, by lowering the rate down to what, 21% How is America competitive with Ireland, or English channel Islands, or any number of other havens? Multi national corporations see a loss of hundreds of millions, if not billions, by keeping their money in America. And since none of the loopholes were closed on the expatriation of money, why should they keep it in America? Also, do you guys think jobs are going to come back to America, given labor is far cheaper in other parts of the world?

According to Bernie Sanders, allowing people to keep more of their own money is "Highway Robbery". Leftists are vile.

I thought the bill was going to kill people?

http://thehill.com/business-a-lobby...-att-to-give-1000-bonuses-to-more-than-200000

AT&T on Wednesday hailed Congress’ passage of tax cuts and announced it would invest an additional $1 billion in the United States next year, and pay a one-time $1,000 holiday bonus to more than 200,000 U.S. employees.

The bonuses would be deducted from the profits they would be taxed on anyway so a tax cut wouldn't be a factor. The investment in infrastructure would also be deducted from the taxed profits.

Only an idiot would fall for this.

According to Bernie Sanders, allowing people to keep more of their own money is "Highway Robbery". Leftists are vile.

But we should cut taxes for the super rich and drive up the deficit?

We should focus on cutting spending. Start with the military and defense budget

Last edited:
The bonuses would be deducted from the profits they would be taxed on anyway so a tax cut wouldn't be a factor. The investment in infrastructure would also be deducted from the taxed profits.

Only an idiot would fall for this.

Except these companies weren't handling out bonuses and raising their wages before the bill.

Feel free to cry about more money in your pocket...

Exactly!

You want the federal government to subsidize your state income tax. That’s why you’re pissed.

That’s the only thing you mentioned that actually affects the math. The rest is all your emotion and opinion.

This is hilarious. You rant and rave about loopholes and deductions now look at you when yours is eliminated. Nevermind the fact your problem lies with Colorado - not the federal government.

Why I’m not pissed? I’m happy I don’t have to subsidize your state tax. I’m happy the corporations that you’ve chosen as enemies will now repatriate millions because our corporate tax rate isn’t as retarded as Democrats made it. This will create economic growth when these companies reinvest this money (to make more money) and Democrats will continue to act confused when GDP skyrockets. I’m happy my family gets to keep $2,000 of the money I earned. I’m happy hundreds of thousand of middle class families that work for companies like ATT and Comcast recieved a bonus as a result of this bill.
You're wrong. My state taxes are taken from my check why should I have to pay Fed tax on them? I don't ever touch it.
And stated tax rate means nothing. It's the effective rate that counts. Do you understand the difference?

You're wrong. My state taxes are taken from my check why should I have to pay Fed tax on them? I don't ever touch it.
And stated tax rate means nothing. It's the effective rate that counts. Do you understand the difference?

Haha.

You can’t even grasp the simple concept that your state income tax was federally deductible.

Merry Christmas! Now take your bonus and gtfo.

Hundreds of metro AT&T employees laid off just before Christmas

On Thursday, leaders of the Local 6360 Union held a meeting to offer help and share resources with workers who have been laid off. The meeting falls on the same night AT&T announced $1,000 bonuses for more than 200,000 U.S. employees in response to the GOP Tax Plan passing. Those recently notified of these job cuts say the bonuses seem like a slap in the face.

“How can you lay people off and then give them $1,000 and say that there’s going to be more jobs available? I wish someone could tell me how that’s possible because I have to explain that to my members, and right now at this time of year, this is a difficult pill to swallow,” said Joseph Blanco, president of Local 6360 Communication Workers of America Union.

“It makes no sense. It creates a lot of tension and, quite frankly, a lot of our members are on edge because they don’t understand the direction of this company and its mentality of how they’re being treated,” he said.

the winning continues

Hundreds of metro AT&T employees laid off just before Christmas
On Dec. 16, the company announced a surplus affecting an estimated 600 employees in Illinois, Wisconsin, Missouri, Michigan, Indiana and Ohio. The workers affected are both indoor and outdoor technicians.

Many of the layoffs in the metro area affect Direct TV technicians and employees at a local call center.

On Thursday, leaders of the Local 6360 Union held a meeting to offer help and share resources with workers who have been laid off. The meeting falls on the same night AT&T announced $1,000 bonuses for more than 200,000 U.S. employees in response to the GOP Tax Plan passing. Those recently notified of these job cuts say the bonuses seem like a slap in the face.
http://fox4kc.com/2017/12/20/hundre...725&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

sounds like a bunch more companies are giving bonuses, increasing minimum wage, hiring more employees, etc....
I don't care if it is just PR.

A bonus for employees who don't have a bonus as a part of their compensation package is just fucking charity. They could afford to do this before the tax plan but didn't do it. Comcast made $9 billion in profit last year and AT&T made $13 billion in profit. They are doing it now for the press hoping that it increases support for this tax plan and even more regressive tax cuts in the future.

If this was the direct result of the tax cuts which are permanent then you'd expect these bonuses every year but I guaran-fuckin-tee you that there will be no bonuses next year.

I wonder if AT&T will continue with these bonuses to offset their employee's taxes being increased in a few years while AT&T's remains decreased by 30% plus permanently.

A bonus for employees who don't have a bonus as a part of their compensation package is just fucking charity. They could afford to do this before the tax plan but didn't do it. Comcast made $9 billion in profit last year and AT&T made $13 billion in profit. They are doing it now for the press hoping that it increases support for this tax plan and even more regressive tax cuts in the future.

If this was the direct result of the tax cuts which are permanent then you'd expect these bonuses every year but I guaran-fuckin-tee you that there will be no bonuses next year.

These companies have recognized that taking care of their employees and investing in America is good PR. I think we should take this time as consumers and reward these companies for investing in their employees and the country.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back