Assistance With Programming Texas Method

Also, Doing 6 sets of 3 cleans after squatting heavy and pressing/benching heavy is going to be tough. I think that's why Glenn suggests doing cleans on your second day. Gives you a better opportunity to ensure good form. Preferably, I'd do 3-5x5 rows on Monday and do 5x3 cleans on Wednesday.

Switched. Thanks for the tip.

Are you going to rotate through 1, 2 and 3RM on Fridays?

That's what SL's recommends. Does this not sound feasible?

True maxes are all out efforts that you don't/can't make every week because they're too draining. It's why Powerlifters deload after a competition, even though the volume done is nothing compared to most workouts.

Start by doing working up to a single that's around 90%, maybe even a bit lighter. With any routine, it's better to start on the light side, rather than too heavy. The important thing is that the weight you work up to for a heavy single increases, not that you hit a true max. As Wendler says, "you're training for something greater than today".

When you're at the point you feel you can't, or it's too draining to increase the weight you do for a heavy single each week, then start working up to heavy doubles or triples some of the time instead.

The rest looks good.

Noted.

So, in summary, I've switched Clean and Row days, dropped Clean sets by 1, will not focus on "testing" on Fridays, will progress on each individual day, and may deload by a small amount and increase reps by 1 or 2 for Friday's, depending on the lift. The focus is long-term progression and ensuring there is always room for that, is what I've gathered from all of this.

That's what SL's recommends. Does this not sound feasible?

Yes that is a good idea and it's what I did. Just wanted to check that you weren't going to do singles every Friday.

Thanks Doc.

It appears as though I've finally come to a conclusion, which is pretty fast considering this was posted yesterday. Thanks SnC for your input and patience.
For any lurkers following along, here is my final workout plan:

Week 1

Monday: Stress

1. Squat | 5x5
  2. Overhead Press | 5x5
  3. Rows | 3x3
  4. Weighted Dips | 3x5
Wednesday: Rest
  1. Front Squat | 3x3
  2. Bench Press | 3x3
  3. Powercleans | 5x3

Friday: Test
  1. Squat | 1x1
  2. Overhead Press | 1x1
  3. Deadlift | 1x1
  4. Sexy Ab Time

Week 2

Monday: Stress

1. Squat | 5x5
  2. Bench Press| 5x5
  3. Rows | 3x3
  4. Weighted Pull-ups | 3x5

Wednesday: Rest
  1. Front Squat | 3x3
  2. Overhead Press | 3x3
  3. Powercleans | 5x3

Friday: Test
  1. Squat | 1x2
  2. Bench Press | 1x1
  3. Deadlift | 1x2
  4. Sexy Ab Time

By the third week the Squats and deadlifts will be at 3 reps with Bench at two. On the fourth week I'll cycle Squats and deads back down to 1 rep, with bench at 3. And so on and so forth.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing I'd echo is that you switch up the BW exercises on Monday. Doing all that every Monday is going to be too much I think. I'd go with toonie's suggestion of doing dips when you bench and chinups when you press splitting them between Monday and Wednesday.

I'm copying that, just so you know law bob. Starting TM on monday

Pretty sure that Monday ain't gonna happen, man. I hate to be a party pooper but you won't have the gas for all those lifts.

My recommendation would be

Monday Week 1:
Squat 5x5
Press 5x5
Rows 3x5
Chin ups 3x failure

Monday Week 2:
Squat 5x5
Bench 5x5
Rows 3x5
Dips 3 sets 10-20 (however many you can do)

Pretty sure that Monday ain't gonna happen, man. I hate to be a party pooper but you won't have the gas for all those lifts.

My recommendation would be

Monday Week 1:
Squat 5x5
Press 5x5
Rows 3x5
Chin ups 3x failure

Monday Week 2:
Squat 5x5
Bench 5x5
Rows 3x5
Dips 3 sets 10-20 (however many you can do)

I'm copying that, just so you know law bob. Starting TM on monday

I must have somehow skipped over that. I'll reedit the workout.

So I did TM yesterday, and you guys weren't joking about needing more sleep: I passed out two hours earlier than usual.

That's a great workout.

Back