As much as I like TF, his chances against Khabib are very...

true_fan

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Slim just based on Kevin Lee almost finishing him in round 1. RDA is no joke on the ground and he is very strong, yet he was overpowered by Khabib. As much as I disliked Khabib's not making weight and lost lots of respect for his unprofessionalism, he is just too much for Elcucuy to handle! What do you feel?

Last edited:
i feel like it will take 2 more years for this fight to happen so i'll hold onto my opinion for now <seedat>

I think its a great fight, but Nurmagomedov is the next champ. He is a monster.

RDA fight with Khabib was 3.5 years ago. RDA wasn't a champ yet, hadn't gone on his huge championship run yet, and clearly still wasn't as good as he proved to be in his championship run. I don't put a whole lot of weight into that win anymore.

That, and Ferguson has a very different style of grappling than RDA. RDA is traditional in every sense, position before attack. It's part of the reason his top game is so absurdly efficient. It's also why he's, historically, been relatively defensive off of his back.

Ferguson is a lot more aggressive off of his back. The first round against Lee was really only dicey in the final moments of the round, but this "Lee almost finished him" is greatly exaggerated. Ferguson had made space and gotten out of trouble at the horn.

Frankly, what makes this fight hard to call is Khabib's inactivity. He's out for years at a time, shows up, beat some mid tier LW impressively (which we already know he can do), only to disappear for another year. Since RDA (again, which was three and a half years ago), he's fought twice. Once against a non ranked, short notice opponent, who people were a bit shocked he didn't man handle faster. The other against MJ, who has always been a fringe top 10 LW. He was at least fairly impressive in the latter outside of a couple early moments on the feet. But MJ has also struggled heavily with grapplers in the past.

I'm still not sold on Khabib. I'll hold any further opinions on his ability until after his fight with Barboza.

A year ago I would've been echoing these sentiments. Now? Not so much. Khabib can't even show up to fight, not to mention his body is most likely giving out on him and personally I believe his days at LW are numbered.

I find it hard to believe Khabib is physically the same as he was 3 years ago. Dude has spent most of the time since what, 2014 on the shelf? I'll take the guy fighting and winning, not the guy who can't even show up.

Tony's best bet against Khabib is his elbows. Khabib has never been cut before so we don't know how he'd react to that. Other than that, I highly favor Khabib against Tony.

If given any odds whatsoever, I'd say he pulls out with a hangnail, or misses weight. but hey, he's da next champ, if he can ever make it to the Octagon

A year ago I would've been echoing these sentiments. Now? Not so much. Khabib can't even show up to fight, not to mention his body is most likely giving out on him and personally I believe his days at LW are numbered.

I find it hard to believe Khabib is physically the same as he was 3 years ago. Dude has spent most of the time since what, 2014 on the shelf? I'll take the guy fighting and winning, not the guy who can't even show up.

His coach says Khabib has been looking better now than ever. Now it could be just bs marketing hype, but Khabib's performances have been improving incrementally every fight we've seen. He switched up his striking from his debut fight, he switched up his takedowns from the Tibau fight, he's been mauling people and improved his deadly GnP.

His coach says Khabib has been better now than ever. Now it could be just bs marketing hype, but Khabib's performances have been improving incrementally every fight we've seen. He switched up his striking from his debut fight, he switched up his takedowns from the Tibau fight, he's been mauling people and improved his deadly GnP.

His coach and team also said he was fine to fight Ferguson before he dropped out lol

Has it occured to you Tony had lee just were he wanted him? Probably not. I think it's an easy fight for Tony. He doesnt go down unless he wants to. He let Lee take him down to gas him and sub him. Not to mention he did more damage on bottom than lee did in mount so I'm not sure where you get this idea of 'almost finihsed" Tony didnt have starch on him.. Tony just has to many ways to win. Stand up. Wrestling. Subs. Endless cardio. Khabib makes one mistake he's getting subbed even with TD. Khabib does not do double legs like Lee he dips his head all the time and drives men towards fence perfect for snap down darce. Then Tonys rolls make very difficult to win a scramble on Khabibs body lock TDs

I thought "staph" Lee was having success against Ferguson until he gassed.

I think for this fight, Khabib wouldn´t have to worry too much about Ferg's hands, like against MJ or Barboza for example. I´m not saying Tony isn´t a good striker no, he´s a very good striker, but he is not exactly the hardest hitter at LW, so even if he connects, it´s not gonna be able to stop Khabib's grappling.
Khabib would be able to take Ferguson down, and capitalize on it before Ferg could pull a submission out imho. Khabib´s top control is great. I see Khabib getting a stoppage from gnp.

Assuming he makes weight...Of course.

Khabib would gas and get subbed like all of Tony's opponents do.

I wish UFC signed askren khabib vs askren would be a cool matchup

RDA fight with Khabib was 3.5 years ago. RDA wasn't a champ yet, hadn't gone on his huge championship run yet, and clearly still wasn't as good as he proved to be in his championship run. I don't put a whole lot of weight into that win anymore.

That, and Ferguson has a very different style of grappling than RDA. RDA is traditional in every sense, position before attack. It's part of the reason his top game is so absurdly efficient. It's also why he's, historically, been relatively defensive off of his back.

Ferguson is a lot more aggressive off of his back. The first round against Lee was really only dicey in the final moments of the round, but this "Lee almost finished him" is greatly exaggerated. Ferguson had made space and gotten out of trouble at the horn.

Frankly, what makes this fight hard to call is Khabib's inactivity. He's out for years at a time, shows up, beat some mid tier LW impressively (which we already know he can do), only to disappear for another year. Since RDA (again, which was three and a half years ago), he's fought twice. Once against a non ranked, short notice opponent, who people were a bit shocked he didn't man handle faster. The other against MJ, who has always been a fringe top 10 LW. He was at least fairly impressive in the latter outside of a couple early moments on the feet. But MJ has also struggled heavily with grapplers in the past.

I'm still not sold on Khabib. I'll hold any further opinions on his ability until after his fight with Barboza.

RDA was still a great fighter, especially in terms of grappling and on a win streak that included Dunham and Cerrone. To act like Khabib dominated him was just a fluke when the only real difference in Dos Anjos is that he has become more experienced under Cordeiro since then is ludicrous.

What Khabib does to guys should straight up be illegal.

Back