As a Persian, I watched 300 and...

300 gets a hell of a lot funnier when you read that Zack Snyder apperently thinks that it's about 90% accurate to what happened.

The details are all embellished and fanciful but the broad events are reasonably accurate though. Fighting in the chokepoint, rebuilding the wall, storm wrecking some of the Persian navy, the betrayal and final stand etc

90% is a bit much obviously as they went for the over the top depiction of those events

Those "stuntmen" would be gym rats with access to modern training, nutrition, and whatever amount of roids they want to pump themselves full of. Spartan males were trained on a restricted diet and learned what it was like to starve. Based on their diet and training they would be a lot leaner and less muscular.

The evidence we have of spartan warriors is that they were 5’7-5’10 tall. Only a tad shorter than your average Hollywood stuntmen (probably around 5’9.5). They likely had sufficient sources of high quality protein (game meat, their protein drink ration etc), as well as a eugenics program and a lifetime of physical training, indeed it was the artwork and depictions of Spartans that inspired modern strength and conditioning, from weightlifting to bodybuilding, with the Spartans appearing to have truly great genetics and epic physiques.

11.jpg

They didn’t just have the 300 six packs, they’ve got the pecs, they got the bi’s, tri’s, Yoel Romero like V tapers, Woodley badonkadonks, cobra lats/traps, hell even glute/ham separation! Modern humans had to invent bodybuilding (and really PED’s) to recreate such physiques.

They haven't made it yet but Chinese empire might be the subject of the next movie.

But how will they include westerners in it? Maybe it about the Opium Wars or Boxer Rebellion. That be interesting.

It was such a confusing movie. It is banned in Iran but I don't understand! It was so over the top that its hardly worth getting upset over. I mean, the Persian immortals seemed like some anime horror army.

Also, the only human looking Persian was the black dude that got kicked in the hole. Funny thing is, the Persian immortals look more badass in the movie than in real life who had beards/no mask and colorful uniforms. In real life, most of them looked like Gerard Butlers character except smaller.

I know I am late to the party, but a third movie is on the way which evolves the Chinese empire, so I thought I would watch to see how it made me feel. I don't really understand why the Persian immortals were so fictionalized in Japanese armors and scream style masks while being deformed demons and having that crazy monster but it was fun to watch.
Are there still parties like this over there?

Also, is the current leader kind?

It was such a confusing movie. It is banned in Iran but I don't understand! It was so over the top that its hardly worth getting upset over. I mean, the Persian immortals seemed like some anime horror army.

Also, the only human looking Persian was the black dude that got kicked in the hole. Funny thing is, the Persian immortals look more badass in the movie than in real life who had beards/no mask and colorful uniforms. In real life, most of them looked like Gerard Butlers character except smaller.

I know I am late to the party, but a third movie is on the way which evolves the Chinese empire, so I thought I would watch to see how it made me feel. I don't really understand why the Persian immortals were so fictionalized in Japanese armors and scream style masks while being deformed demons and having that crazy monster but it was fun to watch.

I went into that move expecting a serious fact-based film, and I came out sorely disappointed. The fantasy element completely ruined it for me.

The Spartans weren't the good guys.

Lmao the truth is hilarious.

It's not a serious history, and there are very strong subtextual readings that the Spartans are actually the "bad" guys (i.e. radical Islam) while the Persians represent us (i.e. post-Enlightenment Westerners).

The only way to fix this if iran makes their own super exagerated movie which ends with the real life event of burning athens.

A lot of "based on a true story" movies are pretty far out there.

I remember when The Strangers came out and everyone was researching the case that it was based on. Turns out it's based upon someone coming to the directors home when he was a child and creepily asking for someone who didn't live there.

I went into that move expecting a serious fact-based film, and I came out sorely disappointed. The fantasy element completely ruined it for me.

How did you manage to go in expecting that? I remember pretty much everything about the promotion of this film making it clear it would be highly fantastical.

Indeed the main thing I remember about it is still that teaser trailer...

How did you manage to go in expecting that? I remember pretty much everything about the promotion of this film making it clear it would be highly fantastical.

Indeed the main thing I remember about it is still that teaser trailer...

I never saw the trailer. I had only ready that it was based on the real event, and was expecting a production like Gladiator.

Last edited:

The Spartans weren't the good guys.

Lmao the truth is hilarious.

Cracked know less than fuck all about history. Is that the video where they try to claim the Achaemenid Persians were anti-slavery? They should try actually researching a subject before vomiting their shitty, uninformed opinions all over the Internet.

In the West Leonidas, and the Spartans are the heroes, and the Persians are the villains. But in real life the the Persian Empire at the time was the shining beacon of righteousness, no the Greeks.

Whats this chinese empire one?

Lol bullshit. Persians were nicer than Babylonians but we would all rather live in Athens than any Persian city.

Cracked know less than fuck all about history. Is that the video where they try to claim the Achaemenid Persians were anti-slavery? They should try actually researching a subject before vomiting their shitty, uninformed opinions all over the Internet.

It’s cool to be anti-Western.

In real life, Sparta later teamed up with Persia against Athens btw.

Later they allied with Athens, I think, against Thebes. Or was it Thebes and Athens together against Sparta?

Because Athens hated the Beotians...

Shit I read Thucidydes recently and I forgot.

Thing is with Greek history, everybody was allied and enemy of eachother at some point or another. That period was extremely unstable.

They got a lot wrong in that movie. The Immortals looked nothing like that. Xerxes looked more like King Lionitus and so on.

Back