Arjan Bhullar!

I know refs aren't suppose to pay mind to time left, but stopping a fight for timidity with less than a minute left seems crazy. The cards would have done the job in 50 seconds.
Maybe they don't get paid if they got dq'd.

It feels suspicious. The UFC is no bastion of morality, but I do not Herb doing this on a big UFC card. At least I haven't, ever, or any other ref for that matter.
UFC doesn't have to play the pretend game unlike the honorable org filled with bullied heroes and 3,225 world champions.

I know refs aren't suppose to pay mind to time left, but stopping a fight for timidity with less than a minute left seems crazy. The cards would have done the job in 50 seconds.
You must be part of a union with your let the lazy people be lazy mentality. The punishment was due my friend.

You must be part of a union with your let the lazy people be lazy mentality. The punishment was due my friend.
But the same outcome was going to happen less than a minute later. It's not like he was turning his back and running away. He was just backing up from bullrushes. Don't get me wrong, he fought like shit. I just don't see it. His laziness wasn't going to be rewarded either way. Felt like a message.

Seen fights like this thousands of times at this point, and they don't get stopped like this. I guess you can say it's the right thing to do if you think so, but it does feel unprecedented.

But the same outcome was going to happen less than a minute later. It's not like he was turning his back and running away. He was just backing up from bullrushes. Don't get me wrong, he fought like shit. I just don't see it. His laziness wasn't going to be rewarded either way. Felt like a message.

Seen fights like this thousands of times at this point, and they don't get stopped like this. I guess you can say it's the right thing to do if you think so, but it does feel unprecedented.
No the outcome would not be the same. He was given multiple warnings already but you want to ignore that fact. This should be happening more often but then again fights this are this bad aren't the most common thing.

No the outcome would not be the same. He was given multiple warnings already but you want to ignore that fact. This should be happening more often.
He would have won, then? I feel like on face value, to a casual spectator, a DQ looks worse on the winners record than just a solid W. He would have lost either way.

All I'm saying, is either way, he was going to lose. So just let it play out.

He would have won, then? I feel like on face value, to a casual spectator, a DQ looks worse on the winners record than just a solid W. He would have lost either way.

Rules how do they work? lol you really would make a great union steward or even a great defence lawyer. imo Trying to defend this guys bitchness is a very weird hill to choose to die on.

Rules how do they work? lol you really would make a great union steward or even a great defence lawyer. imo Trying to defend this guys bitchness is a very weird hill to choose to die on.
I get the rules. Just think they are a little fishy, compared to what we've seen before a million times. I don't think I'm dying on any hill. I genuinely don't give a shit at all about Bhullar and am far from a fan. I also don't get how you don't understand what I'm saying, but oh well. Carry on.

The referee told him to do something and he did not do it. The ref does not make calls based on how much time is left.

This is as silly as when guys are getting gnp'd and the fight is stopped with a few seconds left and the round and someone complains.

The funny thing you said this is suspicious for doing something that doesn't even actively help the product, and yet you want the referee to do something that is clearly bias.

The referee told him to do something and he did not do it. The ref does not make calls based on how much time is left.

This is as silly as when guys are getting gnp'd and the fight is stopped with a few seconds left and the round and someone complains.

The funny thing you said this is suspicious for doing something that doesn't even actively help the product, and yet you want the referee to do something that is clearly bias.
Yes, I noted the fact that ref's aren't supposed to pay attention to time left in my original post in this thread. But that usually applies to when someone is getting beaten to a pulp with little time left, not when nobody is in danger. You can't possibly say we haven't seen more timid performances than this hit the final bell.

And I do kinda think that this stoppage does help the brand, in the sense that "we won't let boring fights happen." If you know what I mean.

This comparison doesn't work at all.

This wasn't the equivalent of DQing a team for not throwing enough 3s or having too slow a pace, this was the equivalent of DQing a team for going out there and standing still and not playing.

This also doesn’t work. Because fighting is a whole different beast. You’re asking the guy to be reckless because “Just bleed fuck yeah!” instead of accepting that he, as the fighter, should get to pick his strategy. He wasn’t just standing there. He was clearly trying to avoid getting clobbered, moving backwards (not standing still) and waiting for a spot that never came.

It would have resulted in a decision loss and if ONE want to cut him, that’s fine.

You cannot, in a fight, dictate how the fighter selects to fight.

Yes, I noted the fact that ref's aren't supposed to pay attention to time left in my original post in this thread. But that usually applies to when someone is getting beaten to a pulp with little time left, not when nobody is in danger. You can't possibly say we haven't seen more timid performances than this hit the final bell.

And I do kinda think that this stoppage does help the brand, in the sense that "we won't let boring fights happen." If you know what I mean.

ONE is a just bleed org, and punishes fighters very severely even for legitimate out-fighting (ie landing strikes from the outside and evading), much less flat out running like Arjan. I think there actually haven't been many fights more timid than the Arjan one in ONE Championship.

For better or worse, ONE is the most offensive of the main orgs. The UFC doesn't have a yellow card system, so Herb Dean of course would treat the situation differently in the States.

This also doesn’t work. Because fighting is a whole different beast. You’re asking the guy to be reckless because “Just bleed fuck yeah!” instead of accepting that he, as the fighter, should get to pick his strategy. He wasn’t just standing there. He was clearly trying to avoid getting clobbered, moving backwards (not standing still) and waiting for a spot that never came.

It would have resulted in a decision loss and if ONE want to cut him, that’s fine.

You cannot, in a fight, dictate how the fighter selects to fight.

Yes, you can dictate how fighters select to fight, that's what rules are.

Yes, ONE wants Arjan to go in there and get knocked out - but Arjan did not even meet them half way. Plenty of fighters get their ass kicked and try to avoid contact in ONE but at least move forward enough to not get 3 yellow cards.

I don't think you're allowed to get 3 yellow cards, so he was DQ'd. I could be wrong about that.

Last edited:
ONE is a just bleed org, and punishes fighters very severely even for legitimate out-fighting (ie landing strikes from the outside and evading), much less flat out running like Arjan. I think there actually haven't been many fights more timid than the Arjan one in ONE Championship.

For better or worse, ONE is the most offensive of the main orgs. The UFC doesn't have a yellow card system, so Herb Dean of course would treat the situation differently in the States.
I wonder if both Carla and Rose would have been DQ'd under their banner.

Or Francis and Lewis.

I wonder if both Carla and Rose would have been DQ'd under their banner.

Or Francis and Lewis.
They would have got yellow carded for sure - how they react to that is anyones guess. I'd assume Lewis and Francis would at least start fighting after that, but I could be wrong.

I've never really seen fights like those in ONE before.

They would have got yellow carded for sure - how they react to that is anyones guess. I'd assume Lewis and Francis would at least start fighting after that, but I could be wrong.

I've never really seen fights like those in ONE before.
I appreciate that you are being reasonable. Respect.

My only issue was that there was very little time left, and Bhullar got stopped not running away, or falling to his ass, but just evading an onslaught. He looked like shit, certainly. But I feel like it's not something I haven't seen many times, and it's not something that I haven't seen Herb play out to decision in all of his years. It felt like there was a worm in his ear to stop it to prove a point.

I'm almost surprised that the UFC didn't take on this tactic before ONE, honestly.

I've never seen a "high level" fight stopped like that, under those circumstances, in my many, many years of fandom.

I appreciate that you are being reasonable. Respect.

My only issue was that there was very little time left, and Bhullar got stopped not running away, or falling to his ass, but just evading an onslaught. He looked like shit, certainly. But I feel like it's not something I haven't seen many times, and it's not something that I haven't seen Herb play out to decision in all of his years. It felt like there was a worm in his ear to stop it to prove a point.

I'm almost surprised that the UFC didn't take on this tactic before ONE, honestly.

I've never seen a "high level" fight stopped like that, under those circumstances, in my many, many years of fandom.

The UFC probably would if they could. They don't have much control over the scoring criteria or the refs.

Orgs in Asia have more autonomy over their rule set.

Back