Arjan Bhullar!

There's a difference between doing a Kalib Starnes and just not wanting to walk directly into clubbing swings.

Look, I didn't like Bhullar's performance, he deserved to lose, and I don't get why he didn't try to wrestle.

But if we're going to start DQing athletes every time they have a poor performance, I'm out.

ONE Championship looked desperate as fuck. The prelims were great, then the main card came round and it stank of fear - and not from the athletes, from the promotion itself.

Shameful day of Mixed Martial Arts.

ONE don't just DQ them every time they have a poor performance. You're massively exaggerating it there.

The reality is Bhullar was throwing around 3-4 strikes per round while also not trying to wrestle either.

You can't just get in there and not even attempt to do anything. That's not a poor performance. That's just not performing at all.

You bring up Starnes/Quarry, but Bhullar did way way less than Starnes did lol. He literally threw 50 strikes to Bhullar's what? 8 or so?

And it isn't like Herb just DQd him first chance he got either. He gave him almost the entire fight and 2 warnings, but Bhullar didn't want to fight at all.

The DQ was completely justified.

Imagine a referee in basketball DQing a team because they didn’t take enough 3s or their pace was too slow. Imagine an NFL referee DQing a team because they weren’t throwing down field enough.

This comparison doesn't work at all.

This wasn't the equivalent of DQing a team for not throwing enough 3s or having too slow a pace, this was the equivalent of DQing a team for going out there and standing still and not playing.

ONE don't just DQ them every time they have a poor performance. You're massively exaggerating it there.

The reality is Bhullar was throwing around 3-4 strikes per round while also not trying to wrestle either.

You can't just get in there and not even attempt to do anything. That's not a poor performance. That's just not performing at all.

You bring up Starnes/Quarry, but Bhullar did way way less than Starnes did lol. He literally threw 50 strikes to Bhullar's what? 8 or so?

And it isn't like Herb just DQd him first chance he got either. He gave him almost the entire fight and 2 warnings, but Bhullar didn't want to fight at all.

The DQ was completely justified.

Did you watch the show though? Do you know the context?

I'm not trying to call you out, if you saw the whole thing, you saw it and that's your judgement, fair enough, dude.

But we had another main card fight where Thanh Le and Kang Tai were looking for openings, and they both got shown yellow cards - TWICE.

Kang Tai was the aggressor and I heard him asking Herb Dean why he got a yellow card in the first round, and Dean made whatever excuse he made.

What the fuck did he, or ONE, expect Kang Tai to do? He was walking down Le, and Le was looking for openings and body kicks and the like cognizant that he'd been KO'd the fight before by this very same dude.

What an absolutely absurd situation that he's getting two yellow cards and fined a large portion of his fight fee because someone was clearly shitting their pants about entertaining the Qatari crowd.

Look, I put in the PBP that referees acting like that was equivalent to having the officials hold up "THIS FIGHT/SHOW SUCKS" banners. It made no sense, it wasn't warranted, and it was a disgrace. I know some people will automatically like any measure that might lead to more action, but this show sucked because of the desperation. And the cards didn't even fucking work.

He wasn't fighting enough during the fight and got DQd after 2 yellow cards for inactivity.

lol ONE isn't the UFC where you can get away with backpedaling for 3 or 5 rounds and then just throw a flurry in the last 10 seconds and say you "fought".

Yeah, but Chatri attacking him like this? That's very unexpected to me.

Was the fight really that bad?

No.

But ONE's debut in Qatar will be remembered for being absolutely horrible because multiple fights saw multiple yellow cards, one fighter got DQ'd for not doing anything (allegedly), and another guy got DQ'd for an illegal slam.

Because of the overzealous officiating/panic the card will be remembered as one-of-a-kind bad. Not today, but when people look back, they'll wonder WTF happened on that card to make it such a horrific mess.

And the answer is, nothing. One bad suplex from Jarred Brooks, that's it. And they didn't even announce his opponent was the champion in the aftermath.

A horror show of ONE's own creation.

I'm not trying to call you out, if you saw the whole thing, you saw it and that's your judgement, fair enough, dude.

But we had another main card fight where Thanh Le and Kang Tai were looking for openings, and they both got shown yellow cards - TWICE.

Kang Tai was the aggressor and I heard him asking Herb Dean why he got a yellow card in the first round, and Dean made whatever excuse he made.

What the fuck did he, or ONE, expect Kang Tai to do? He was walking down Le, and Le was looking for openings and body kicks and the like cognizant that he'd been KO'd the fight before by this very same dude.

What an absolutely absurd situation that he's getting two yellow cards and fined a large portion of his fight fee because someone was clearly shitting their pants about entertaining the Qatari crowd.

Look, I put in the PBP that referees acting like that was equivalent to having the officials hold up "THIS FIGHT/SHOW SUCKS" banners. It made no sense, it wasn't warranted, and it was a disgrace. I know some people will automatically like any measure that might lead to more action, but this show sucked because of the desperation. And the cards didn't even fucking work.

I have to wonder what happened behind the scenes. If this card was that important to them, then what they should have done is put on a card with the most exciting fighters they have and let every fighter know before booking them that they were going to have to be aggressive and lay it all on the line (and reward them accordingly).

You're absolutely right that the sport doesn't need any more Dana White tantrums.

Yeh, I watched the whole show.

I'm not trying to call you out here either, mate, just having a discussion, but what context are you referring to? That they were debuting in Qatar and wanted to have a strong showing? I'm only looking at each fight individually. It wouldn't have mattered if the card was back in Thailand. The refs would have still been handing out those cards. I've seen them hand out yellows when the guys were actually engaging quite a bit.

I'm honestly surprised Bhullar was allowed to not fight for as long as he did.

The Le/Kang fight wasn't as bad, and I don't really understand why Kang got the cards either. Sure, he was doing a lot of not-engaging himself, but it's a lot harder when your opponent is mostly avoiding you like Le was. I thought Kang getting the cards was wrong. I understood the background of the fight and why Le was more timid than he might have been, but at the end of the day, he still just wasn't engaging enough, despite numerous feints and the odd kick.

The way I see it, both ONE and the fighters are at fault.

ONE have their ruleset, and they're welcome to do it their way. But if that's the case, there's no reason to even have Bhullar when they knew full well he could have "fought" like that. He was mostly shit-scared against Anatoly as well recently. He had another hard hitter in front of him in this fight, so there was always a decent chance that he'd be terrified again. It was dumb matchmaking and roster management.

Le/Kang was another unfortunate matchup considering the previous fight, but it was a unification bout, so there wasn't really any avoiding it.

If ONE don't want those sorts of "fights", then they need to either not have those fighters or make those matchups. That was their fuckup.

On the other hand, the fighters know full well what ruleset they're fighting under. They know about the cards. Bhullar knew he was doing absolutely fuck all and Le knew he wasn't engaging enough.

If fighters want to come into ONE and not engage enough, then ONE really just isn't the place for them. And it's not like this is some new ruleset. ONE have been like this forever. The fighters know what's required of them.

And the cards did half work. Sure, Bhullar didn't do anything and just kept not fighting in there until the DQ, but Kang got aggressive and finished the fight like 2.5 mins after Herb handed out the second set of yellows.

I don't know why Chatri is saying that's the first time they've ever handed out a red card for inactivity either, because I'm almost certain they gave a red out to another sloppy HW in the third round of a fight. He'd actually done a ton more fighting than Bhullar did too.

Yeh, I watched the whole show.

I'm not trying to call you out here either, mate, just having a discussion, but what context are you referring to? That they were debuting in Qatar and wanted to have a strong showing? I'm only looking at each fight individually. It wouldn't have mattered if the card was back in Thailand. The refs would have still been handing out those cards. I've seen them hand out yellows when the guys were actually engaging quite a bit.

I'm honestly surprised Bhullar was allowed to not fight for as long as he did.

The Le/Kang fight wasn't as bad, and I don't really understand why Kang got the cards either. Sure, he was doing a lot of not-engaging himself, but it's a lot harder when your opponent is mostly avoiding you like Le was. I thought Kang getting the cards was wrong. I understood the background of the fight and why Le was more timid than he might have been, but at the end of the day, he still just wasn't engaging enough, despite numerous feints and the odd kick.

The way I see it, both ONE and the fighters are at fault.

ONE have their ruleset, and they're welcome to do it their way. But if that's the case, there's no reason to even have Bhullar when they knew full well he could have "fought" like that. He was mostly shit-scared against Anatoly as well recently. He had another hard hitter in front of him in this fight, so there was always a decent chance that he'd be terrified again. It was dumb matchmaking and roster management.

Le/Kang was another unfortunate matchup considering the previous fight, but it was a unification bout, so there wasn't really any avoiding it.

If ONE don't want those sorts of "fights", then they need to either not have those fighters or make those matchups. That was their fuckup.

On the other hand, the fighters know full well what ruleset they're fighting under. They know about the cards. Bhullar knew he was doing absolutely fuck all and Le knew he wasn't engaging enough.

If fighters want to come into ONE and not engage enough, then ONE really just isn't the place for them. And it's not like this is some new ruleset. ONE have been like this forever. The fighters know what's required of them.

And the cards did half work. Sure, Bhullar didn't do anything and just kept not fighting in there until the DQ, but Kang got aggressive and finished the fight like 2.5 mins after Herb handed out the second set of yellows.

I don't know why Chatri is saying that's the first time they've ever handed out a red card for inactivity either, because I'm almost certain they gave a red out to another sloppy HW in the third round of a fight. He'd actually done a ton more fighting than Bhullar did too.

Fair enough on watching the whole show. What I meant by context is Qatar have previously provided 33 % of funding for ONE Championship, so they're a massive investor. ONE Championship appear to have been struggling financially and it's possible Qatar invested even further so long as they brought the show to the country.

The last part is pure speculation, of course, but the 33 % is provable as of 2021.

ONE have had minimal interest in the Middle East for years, but bringing the product to Qatari investors makes a ton of sense, great stuff, no issues here. But it does potentially crank the pressure up quite dramatically if further investment hinges on immediate establishment in a new territory.

Also, we can't pretend ONE Championship referees routinely dish out yellow cards. The last time I saw a yellow card on a ONE show was for (I think) 3 low blows in a row. And that was 2023, if not 2022.

So what's going on, am I missing the stringent measures ONE take each and every show, or just missing the many shows where yellow cards are handed out like popcorn?

Thanks for the good honest reply and conversation, my man, I really do appreciate it!

Aside from the yellow cards, it felt like ONE was really trying to please the Saudis when they held their first boxing match (and with a Saudi fighter) on today's card.

Fair enough on watching the whole show. What I meant by context is Qatar have previously provided 33 % of funding for ONE Championship, so they're a massive investor. ONE Championship appear to have been struggling financially and it's possible Qatar invested even further so long as they brought the show to the country.

The last part is pure speculation, of course, but the 33 % is provable as of 2021.

ONE have had minimal interest in the Middle East for years, but bringing the product to Qatari investors makes a ton of sense, great stuff, no issues here. But it does potentially crank the pressure up quite dramatically if further investment hinges on immediate establishment in a new territory.

Also, we can't pretend ONE Championship referees routinely dish out yellow cards. The last time I saw a yellow card on a ONE show was for (I think) 3 low blows in a row. And that was 2023, if not 2022.

So what's going on, am I missing the stringent measures ONE take each and every show, or just missing the many shows where yellow cards are handed out like popcorn?

Thanks for the good honest reply and conversation, my man, I really do appreciate it!

Yeh, I get that context with Qatar and why it meant a lot to them, but like I said, I've seen them give out warnings and yellows for way less on their Thai based shows.

You must have missed some shows, bro. I've only been watching ONE for like 2 years or so, and I've seen yellows and I think just one red before this card. They're not handing them out a lot, but they've still happened.

Mostly it's just warnings, and those are almost always enough and work as intended, but the level of inactivity is never as bad as what Bhullar was doing. A warning usually has them pick up the pace. Bhullar had gotten two yellows and still didn't want to engage.

Good convo with you too, mate.

Aside from the yellow cards, it felt like ONE was really trying to please the Saudis when they held their first boxing match (and with a Saudi fighter) on today's card.

That matchup backfired.

They kept saying the Saudi was the best boxer in the middle east, and then he got clowned on and outboxed by a MT fighter lol.

Getting disqualified for timidity is one of the worst possible ways to lose IMO. It also means that it's probably time for Bhullar to look for a new line of work. Maybe learn a trade.

Haven't found the fight on YouTube yet.

Did he simply wait for Ali to gas?

This fighter is Sherdog stage 1.
Dana wants an Indian champion because he wants UFC to keep growing globally.
So if this guy is good he'll get some Dana White privilege.

Honestly the red and yellow card system should be everywhere.

PRIDE Rules baby!!

Arjan was never my friend.

giphy.gif

I know refs aren't suppose to pay mind to time left, but stopping a fight for timidity with less than a minute left seems crazy. The cards would have done the job in 50 seconds.

Back