Aren't "reach advantages" misleading?

It can be misleading too. I have a reach equal to my height, but my shoulders are quite wide which is more of that reach than it is for most peoples build so i'm rocking some t-rex arms. Not quite artem lobov level t-rexin though. If they're going to measure reach they should honestly measure the length of the arm individually. Simple finger tip to finger tip measurement dosen't really say a lot.

Usually when you punch shoulders don’t stay stationary like rock m sock m robots, you’ll turn your hips (sideways) so wide shoulders are actually an advantage

Are you serious? Dude was UFC LW champion and also fought at WW when LW division was mothballed. He fought Hughes and GSP at WW and BJ at LW. tiny T Rex arms though.

There's no way that dude was a lightweight he's got muscles on his fuckin muscles dude. Check your facts.

There's no way that dude was a lightweight he's got muscles on his fuckin muscles dude. Check your facts.
04710654.jpg

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Sean-Sherk-277

They can be misleading for sure.

It doesn’t matter if you have long reach and don’t know how to use it.

For example Conor has a very long reach and he knows how to use it to his advantage. Hate the guy but he’s a monster with his ability to utilize his reach. Neil Magny on the other hand has a freaking 80 inch reach and he can’t utilize it for shit cause he sucks at measuring/controlling distance.

It also doesn’t matter if you have shorter reach and you’re able to control/close distance in a hurry. Hendricks has an abnormally short reach (69 inches) but he was KOing guys early in his career cause he wasn’t able to close distance. Gastelum holding his own at MW with only a 71.5 reach. At HW Hunt, Big Country etc. Garbrandt gave up 5 to almeida and 3 to Cruz but he wrecked them both cause he understands distance control and he can close like non other.

It’s all about that ability to measure, control and ultimately close....explosively.

KmiLato.gif

It is cool to know that someone has an 80 inch reach. But sometimes fighters with the advantage don't use. All depends on their fighting still to have it as an advantage.
This. Struve is a good example of a guy who could have used reach much better to his advantage but didn’t.

Isn't reach measured between outstretched finger tips?

A fighter with a reach of 70" compared to 72" is given "a two inch reach advantage".

But the advantage should be how much further away a fighter can stand from another and still land a strike, right?

That would mean you have to think about HALF the reach. So in the above example the fighter with the longer reach should only be able to stand 1" further away and land a strike, not 2".

I guess I'm missing something?

Thanks for your help.
Not to mention that they ignore the fact that you have even longer reach with your legs.

Back