Aren't "reach advantages" misleading?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by weakandweary, Oct 19, 2017.

1. weakandweary White Belt

weakandweary
    Isn't reach measured between outstretched finger tips?

A fighter with a reach of 70" compared to 72" is given "a two inch reach advantage".

But the advantage should be how much further away a fighter can stand from another and still land a strike, right?

That would mean you have to think about HALF the reach. So in the above example the fighter with the longer reach should only be able to stand 1" further away and land a strike, not 2".

I guess I'm missing something?

Thanks for your help.

2. Magooglie Steel Belt

Magooglie
    They're measuring wingspan. I think they should also measure armpit to fist and also the leg, from inseam to the toe off an extended foot.

alaskamma, The Bard, trav0614 and 6 others like this.
  3. Blanqa Blanqua Double Yellow Card

Blanqa Blanqua
    Hhhhm what if fighter has 5 foot wide shoulders and only 1 foot length on each arm TS?

Hmmm,

Or his fingers are a foot long.

Hmmmm.

4. weakandweary White Belt

weakandweary

Fair point. Perhaps that is a better way of measuring. Something else should be done to give a more accurate idea of how much "advantage" there it. The "wingspan" way isn't accurate, right?

5. Bogeyman Red Belt

Bogeyman
    The promotion gives zero shits about it. Forums like this put things under a microscope. A few inches of reach advantage won't make or break a fighter in an actual fight.

6. Kung Fu Tze MMA Moderator

Kung Fu Tze
    It is cool to know that someone has an 80 inch reach. But sometimes fighters with the advantage don't use. All depends on their fighting still to have it as an advantage.

Ottawaguy and Bogeyman like this.
  7. The Pied Pooper Blue Belt

The Pied Pooper
    Guys, come on. The current method of measuring reach is insensitive. Reach should be recorded by what reach the fighter identifies with, that way nobody will have to feel like they aren't being accepted for who they are on the inside. And guys, what's on the inside is what really matters.

8. LockardTheGOAT Blue Belt

LockardTheGOAT
    People way over exaggerate how much reach matters, that's for sure. There's an endless category of fights where the person with the longer reach lost. It's never mean much of anything unless the reach difference is massive (at least seven inches or more) and it doesn't always mean anything then.

9. Workaholic Black Belt

Workaholic
    Joe? Is that you?

Gregoire1, sadowolf and lagofala like this.
  10. kibz Green Belt

kibz
    Typically it’s not overrated. Ask Jon Jones opponents.

But your reach is as advantageous as your opponent is skilled in controlling the range and sliding in and out closing distance with accurate powerful strikes (eg Garbrant, McGregor, Cormier, Hunt).

Reach combined with your ability to control the range with offensive threats is dangerous. Again, Jones is a good example...Gus slightly less, but still good....but on the far end you have fighters like Struve.
    Steven Struve has all the reach in the world but sucks at controlling the range so he gets folded up against skilled fighters who can close the distance AND have power (e.g., Hunt).

11. weakandweary White Belt

weakandweary
    Agreed. I, too, think the idea of reach shouldn't be overly important. But it does have SOME weight, right? I mean, how simple it would be to just say "fighter X has a 2" reach advantage" instead of 4".

Seems like a simple correction. Whether reach is the "be all, end all" of parameters is besides the point.

12. Tylerl90 Blue Belt

Tylerl90
    I think the way a fighter covers distance is way more important than reach, in most cases. Fighters can have a 70" reach but fight like they have an 80" reach.

Hypetrainofthemonth likes this.
  13. bigmacbub Green Belt

bigmacbub
    All depends some fighters know how to their reach effectively more than others. Struve is pretty bad at it for example.

Tylerl90 likes this.
  14. Tylerl90 Blue Belt

Tylerl90
    Fuck I'm glad you said it. You'd think Struve would be a destroyer but he's atrocious at using his reach.

bigmacbub likes this.
  15. P4PSHERGOAT Blue Belt

P4PSHERGOAT
    Well most mma fighters suck donkey dick at using their reach but in something like boxing it’s really important. Although it is true that they should measure it closed fist to closed fist

16. Xaero Brown Belt

Xaero
    Jones is one of the fighters that uses his reach advantage to the fullest.

He throws a jab with extended fingers for maximum penetration and reach.

trav0614 and frandie2b like this.
  17. P4PSHERGOAT Blue Belt

P4PSHERGOAT
    Here’s the thing though, when you punch you turn your body incorporating some of your shoulder and chest plus you’re already standing slightly side on so measuring just arm length wouldn’t really work. But yeah your actual reach advantage I gues depends on a couple of factors like how bladed you are and how much you turn into your punch

g*r*b likes this.
  18. maxi diablo Brown Belt

maxi diablo
    Jones is still 6 inches closer to Cormier.

Thepaintbucket likes this.
  19. Dorkman Black Belt

Dorkman
    It can be misleading too. I have a reach equal to my height, but my shoulders are quite wide which is more of that reach than it is for most peoples build so i'm rocking some t-rex arms. Not quite artem lobov level t-rexin though. If they're going to measure reach they should honestly measure the length of the arm individually. Simple finger tip to finger tip measurement dosen't really say a lot.

Kung Fu Tze likes this.
  20. tasticles Black Belt

tasticles
    This isn't boxing so it's not that relevant. A kick has more reach than most punches.