Are you supposed to take a step with your jab?

conceptfighter0432

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
This might be a stupid question considering how long I've been training boxing (10 Months now, Sparring 8 Months). But my trainer does not ever have me take a step when I jab. This has made me "reach" for punches during sparring and I ultimately am never really aggressive. Every time I take a step when jabbing or doing any sort of combination during mitt work my trainer always tell me to "remain planted for more power." While I agree with this, it seems limiting because it forces me to wait until my opponent is in range to attack. I've got good length in the arms for my size. (5'10, 68.5in Reach) and would like to be a Amir Khan style linky combo puncher.

Am I wrong here? Should I take a step when throwing? Thanks.

Try it in sparring. You can jab standing still, jab while strafing, jab while backing up, etc. He's right - you lose power when you are not planted. But there are other types of jabs to throw.

Ever go to our Standup Forum here? There is a thread about this stickied.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/the-magical-jabs.877950/

Edit:

I'll add that while online sources and coaches and fighters and videos etc etc can open a new world of possibility of different strategy, methods and techniques... ALWAYS LISTEN TO YOUR COACH FIRST. Its ok to supplement, but always take his word over ours.

Last edited:
What you need to do is actually JUMP in the air, flare out your elbows and feint a knee to your opponents head. This is of course advanced shit, but it will make sure your jab lands.
As you land on the floor, you go sideways on your opponent Lomachenko style and then shift your weight forward Golovkin style.

You can jab in almost any way imaginable. There are so many different ways to jab, static, going forward, sideways and backward. Of course you can step or how else would you find someone who's going backwards?

That should be long enough for you to get the fundamentals down (the only reason I could see him wanting you to stay planted) and start stepping when you punch. Watch the feet of any boxing match and nobody is throwing every punch planted. It's a dynamic movement-oriented sport and stepping as you punch is a must-have skill. That goes for the jab for sure. Doing combinations just standing in the same place on the mitts will ingrain bad habits. I mean how are you going to close the distance if you don't throw on the way in? Jabbing while stepping is a big part of boxing. Not sure what this trainer is doing. Unless he's delaying it to teach it to you later, but if you've already been sparring for months then it's beyond me why he would put you in there and expect you to only jab when your feet are still. It's even more bizarre with the jab since that isn't a power punch you pivot from.

AS aries said, a jab is like your own signature, no two jabs are alike, throw it however you please as long as its effective

You can jab in almost any way imaginable. There are so many different ways to jab, static, going forward, sideways and backward. Of course you can step or how else would you find someone who's going backwards?

this. but eventually as you progress you should be able to find your range and land jabs without having to rely on stepping in.

this. but eventually as you progress you should be able to find your range and land jabs without having to rely on stepping in.
Interesting. I'm not sure what you mean though? Someone has to move forward in order to be in their range. Whether it's me or the opponent unless we are both remaining in each other's striking distance. That seems pretty risk don't you think? Shouldn't you want to remain outside of each other's distance and step in to start your offense?

Interesting. I'm not sure what you mean though? Someone has to move forward in order to be in their range. Whether it's me or the opponent unless we are both remaining in each other's striking distance. That seems pretty risk don't you think? Shouldn't you want to remain outside of each other's distance and step in to start your offense?

definitely use your footwork to move within range and then jab but from your op, i got the impression that you are taking a step every single time you jab.

edit: read ctrlaltdelete's post - the thread he linked is stickied for a reason

What you need to do is actually JUMP in the air, flare out your elbows and feint a knee to your opponents head. This is of course advanced shit, but it will make sure your jab lands.
As you land on the floor, you go sideways on your opponent Lomachenko style and then shift your weight forward Golovkin style.
This

definitely use your footwork to move within range and then jab but from your op, i got the impression that you are taking a step every single time you jab.

edit: read ctrlaltdelete's post - the thread he linked is stickied for a reason
What does "op" mean? Original Position?

all kinds of situations and uses for a jab, not a power punch and yes, you should be taught how to advance with it before anything in my opinion. of course a jab where you can throw it planted, going backwards, moving laterally are all great but stepping in should be first. it's a punch that sets up other punches so you have to get closer. Now, if you're a tommy hearns who only had to wait for guys to come to him, you can jab his ears off and not move but hell, watch any fighter, they'll all step in with it. don't know anything about your coach, don't know what his credentials are but doesn't sound right.

You sure can. You can jab anywhere at any time. It's the multi-tool of punches. Maybe you just want to stop the guy coming in. Jab. Maybe you want to close the distance and break his nose - step in behind a hard jab you shoot with your shoulder snap.

A guy with a good jab can beat up pretty much most neophytes. And guy with a great jab can neutralize some of the most powerful guys in the business (good feet help).

Unless you have shoulders like a prepubescent girl, you do not have long arms for your size.

If that's good length in arms for size,then what should mine be called with same height but 76in reach.
Death by 1000 jabs.

More commonly the jab is taught as a moving punch. As someone else said, each jab is different and ultimately you can move however you like, but there are some good guiding principles with a jab:

* Don't jab off the ropes:
A jab can leave you quite exposed and off balance if not thrown correctly or at the right time. As the power is generated linearly instead of through torque like most other punches, your line of attack and retreat requires you to have space behind you. Long story short, jabbing with your back against the ropes gives a good opponent ample opportunity to counter you.

* Alter your volume and cadence:
As it's the most common punch, it's also the most commonly countered punch. A good way to reduce the chance of getting stung is to throw varying numbers of jabs each time.
If you keep throwing double jabs at the same speed every time you engage, it's a foregone conclusion that it will get countered once the opponent figures out the timing.
Try 2, then 3, then 1, and keep changing.

* Jabs aren't just for coming forward:
Learning to jab well and generating forward force while retreating is a great tool to keep people off you. Couple with good footwork, a jab off the backfoot makes you very hard to get to if you don't want to engage (see Larry Holmes).

If that's good length in arms for size,then what should mine be called with same height but 76in reach.
Death by 1000 jabs.
I have longer reach than you and Ross Pearson would kick my ass. Problem?

Back