Are you supposed to take a step with your jab?

I didn't want to go too into this discussion because it's not really possible to give a real good description on this forum of what I'm saying. Also, I honestly don't think their are that many good trainers around anymore in the US and the ones in other countries have different teachings and styles and in my opinion, not as advanced as our best techniques. When you watch a guy like Manny Pacquiao not have a clue about cutting off a ring you'll know what I'm saying.

At any rate, I was taught the jab by a guy who I only wished i could have been around more. It was a lot more complicated than just putting your left fist out there. He taught me to move my left foot forward before I punched, not only move it forward but slide it without lifting any portion off the floor which takes some practice, so, you push off your rear foot, you do not move your knee, your toes, anything on your lead leg, why? because it disguises the advance. Now, as you are in the process of stepping in, you do not move your left hand until after your foot is in motion why? because it's harder for your opponent to see coming. Elbows should be kept in pretty tight and your whole body moves in behind it, that's what really turns it into a power punch. If you only put your arm out and stepped in with it, you'd see how much weight is available just from stepping in like that. It's a tough thing to coordinate everything properly. Because to keep your lead foot from lifting up, you have to lift your whole leg up and fall foward with it, it's all very difficult and complicated. Most pros have developed past doing it this way and they have many other ways of doing it but it was the proper starting point. I only wished that trainer was around more than he was, I could have worked with him. And even now, i imagine him criticizing my form as I try to cover all the flaws when I train. Nothing being perfect, there are always flaws, recently i noticed that my jab moved slightly as I initiated it, a tell if there ever was one, so even after all these years, it's still not right.

This might be a stupid question considering how long I've been training boxing (10 Months now, Sparring 8 Months). But my trainer does not ever have me take a step when I jab. This has made me "reach" for punches during sparring and I ultimately am never really aggressive. Every time I take a step when jabbing or doing any sort of combination during mitt work my trainer always tell me to "remain planted for more power." While I agree with this, it seems limiting because it forces me to wait until my opponent is in range to attack. I've got good length in the arms for my size. (5'10, 68.5in Reach) and would like to be a Amir Khan style linky combo puncher.

Am I wrong here? Should I take a step when throwing? Thanks.

I'm guessing your trainer just doesn't want you getting into the habit of stepping in with your jab? Reason being that stepping in adds a visual cue, and if you make it a habit your opponents will start timing you with potentially nasty counters like in Marquez-Pacquiao IV.

Back