Are we ok with this lie from dana?

more like resolved to it.

counting Dana's lies (untruths, half truths, obfuscations, etc - but in this case i actually just think he's hedging his bets) got old for me overa a decade ago. this is just the latest one.

so waddyagonnado, get mad? maybe. we've all done it. for me it's usually because i wish the sport would migrate back more toward sport on the entertainment-to-sport spectrum. but usually those fits of anger die down, and i just move on and accept it.

so far his lies - or the move toward entertainment on the entertainment-to-sport spectrum - hasn't chased me or you away. what will? certainly not another lie.

I don't think there was a lie on the latest Dana statement. Dana was smart enough to play it safe. "Until the fight happens between Khabib & Tony". Conor is still the champ. Tony is holding an interim belt...it's simply technical at this point. Tony did won an interim title. Once they reach the ultimatum which is the fight day between Khabib - Tony...without reason not to fight. Conor gets stripped or has to vacate the belt. But as I said before, that is how they can market the Khabib Tony fight (to make $$$). Once they get past that. As soon as Conor decides to fight the winner or Nate...they can again market that Conor vacate the belt...he never lost it...by the eyes of fans, he's still the champ...it's all about marketing ploy.
ok so no lie, and lots of speculation about what may happen.

You're the most confusing poster on Sherdog. A couple of months back you were a huge Conor fan and now you are saying fuck Conor. Where do you stand mate ? You seem very disloyal to me.
i mean, loyalty to fighters is stupid. if they do shit to piss you off, it's not confusing to get pissed off and change your view.

ok so no lie, and lots of speculation about what may happen.
pretty much...Dana has been caught with lies before and I think he is getting smarter with his words...I mean...the guy probably goes to sherdog forums in his free time...

pretty much...Dana has been caught with lies before and I think he is getting smarter with his words...I mean...the guy probably goes to sherdog forums in his free time...
most of his "lies" are not explicit lies. they are either exaggerated opinions or things that he changes his mind on.

I'm not sure Dana can just leave. Sometimes there are contracts involved. He may have agreed to give WME a certain number of years before he leaves, shit like that. Just seems really weird to me that Dana refuses to talk about it or answer questions about it. Seems completely uncharacteristic of him, at least to me.
you might be right.
Good catch, I didn't think of some contractual clause..... well, if that is the case, it must kill him to not be able to speak his mind like he did since day one...
Heh. the difference it makes when the owners are your childhood friends...

I swear I'm not arguing against this being a shit move, but what media exactly?

Yeah the MMA reporters might comment on it, but as you've said most are paid off by the UFC or too terrified of Dana's wrath to say much.

The general media however don't know a damn thing about Khabib or Tony, all they'll report is what Dana tells them which will be along the lines of how "Conor is bravely coming back against the only fighter who beat him in the Octagon" & they'll lap it up.
well, seeing that the main MMA media nowadays is TMZ, I can see your point... we are fucked... :(

I'm beginning to dispute the numbers. Its difficult to understand how the UFC can pay McGregor massive amounts of money and still be making enough to justify what they doing with the LW belt right now. Seems like Conor is probably going to want about 20 million for his next fight. That's my guess, seems completely believable that he wants 20 considering he just made 100 against Floyd.

Well if he has a PPV with 1 million buys X 60 bucks you get 60 million - Conor's 20 = 40 for the UFC (Yes I understand there are other fees and taxes associated with business and PPV.)
Lets say they paid GSP 5 million for his last fight, which they never have paid him that much but lets say 5 and it sold 875,000 =52.5 million -5 million = 47.5 million for the UFC. That's more than they would have made on a million buy card paying Conor 20.

So I dunno anymore, are they really making that much on Conor if he demands 20 times the pay of most of the roster?
Well, don't forget they have a lot of sponsors who would throw money at them for an exposure of one million buyers... they might even get some bonuses if they go over 1mil.
So the numbers don't seem too far-fetched to me...unfortunately

well, seeing that the main MMA media nowadays is TMZ, I can see your point... we are fucked... :(
ya. the reporters aren't The Washington Post. they aren't trying to uncover Watergate. with a few exceptions, they aren't investigative journalists.

they're just giving fans what they want to read, TMZ-like.

so what DO fans want to read? apparently this: https://www.mmamania.com/2018/1/23/...e-demonstrates-pecker-dip-wake-lost-wager-mma

so who is more pathetic here; the folks giving the fans what they want....or the fans for what they want?

ironically, that's a pretty good metaphor for Conor himself, and why Dana treats him with kid gloves. they both know they'll both make a lot of $ off him, because it's simply what the fans want. not *every* fan. but a higher number of fans than that want any other one single thing.

so ya. it's your fucking fault, dear reader. look in the mirror, then smarten up!
~~~~~~~~~
but like i said, waddyagonnado, get mad? shit, i got free MMA because of all this: i used to have to wait until 4am to watch Pride events (or a few times, until the next weekend) twice or thrice a year. now it's on almost every weekend on FS1 or some shit. so for my own sanity, i decided to see and take the good with the bad. we'll never have events like Critical Countdown or UFC 46 again (though UFC 189 was at least as good as one of those), but we get more and better fighting today, just drawn out. and in general, Dana gives the fans what they want, even if they don't want to admit it to themselves.

Last edited:
I dont know if this is an inside jab about the tony ferguson call to serra's podcast, but that wasnt tony ferguson. It was a prank by one of the guys at the station.

Im only throwing this out there because i didnt know it was a prank either until yesterday when i listened to the end....and i really hated tony because of this 'interview.' Serra should probably take it down or change the name of the video.

No it wasn't directed toward Tony. I did watch the podcast and knew it was a hoax. I am talking about just how he has been acting since he got that interim belt. For example, the way he acted toward Werdum, and i don't even like Werdummy. Just saying i dont give a fuck who gets the real belt because i really don't like any of them. Sure i want to see them fight, but could care less who gets the belt, but somebody needs to fight or get stripped, thats for sure.

most of his "lies" are not explicit lies. they are either exaggerated opinions or things that he changes his mind on.
no...he flat out lies..."GSP is on his way to the hospital..."

ya. the reporters aren't The Washington Post. they aren't trying to uncover Watergate. with a few exceptions, they aren't investigative journalists.

they're just giving fans what they want to read, TMZ-like.

so what DO fans want to read? apparently this: https://www.mmamania.com/2018/1/23/...e-demonstrates-pecker-dip-wake-lost-wager-mma

so who is more pathetic here; the folks giving the fans what they want....or the fans for what they want?

ironically, that's a pretty good metaphor for Conor himself, and why Dana treats him with kid gloves. they both know they'll both make a lot of $ off him, because it's simply what the fans want. not *every* fan. but a higher number of fans than that want any other one single thing.

so ya. it's your fucking fault, dear reader. look in the mirror, then smarten up!
~~~~~~~~~
but like i said, waddyagonnado, get mad? shit, i got free MMA because of all this: i used to have to wait until 4am to watch Pride events (or a few times, until the next weekend) twice or thrice a year. now it's on almost every weekend on FS1 or some shit. so for my own sanity, i decided to see and take the good with the bad. we'll never have events like Critical Countdown or UFC46 again, but we get more and better fighting today. and in general, Dana gives the fans what they want, even if they don't want to admit it to themselves.

Yep.
I also blame on the "fans"... but then again, we should have seen this coming after Lesnar... the "show" became really a "show"... WWE without a script... or at least so we think...

Yep.
I also blame on the "fans"... but then again, we should have seen this coming after Lesnar... the "show" became really a "show"... WWE without a script... or at least so we think...
i would argue after TUF, actually.

but the fights aren't scripted. when the shoots become works, that's when it's time to bail.

To be honest I want to see Nate v Conor 3. But it shouldn't be for the belt. That should go to the winner of Ferguson v Khabib, then when Conor is done with the Nate fight let him fight the winner, then there is your Champion, providing that Conor wins, otherwise he'll have to start a fresh again and work is way up.

no...he flat out lies..."GSP is on his way to the hospital..."

What’s his motivation for lying there? If he thought gsp was coming to the presser why would he lie knowing he’d be proved wrong right after?

If they announce Nate vs Conor, Tony and Khabib should sue for breach of contract. There's no way Dana got EITHER of them to sign if it wasnt for the real belt.

Or they should just refuse to fight until Dana pulls his head out of Conors ass.
Ha, that's funny, because I was just thinking the same thing. I want to see this fight, but would be crazy if they both just say they can't fight like a week or two before the event. Problem is, they are not known like Conor, and they both had pulled out before when they were to fight. But had I been Ferg or Khabib, I wouldn't have signed nothing unless I was gettin a shit ton of money and guaranteed Conor next and was actually for the 'real" title.

Back