Are there any divisions without a clear GOAT????

Lionheart7167

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Of all the UFC divisions, I feel like most of them have a clear GOAT. Stipe, Jones, Silva, GSP, Khabib, DJ are my (and most) top guys in the higher weight divisions.

Which division do you think is murky?

I'd say BW, for me, is. There are good arguments for Cruz, Dillashaw or Aljo. I don't know if Cruz (the consensus fave, actually is the GOAT there)
FW too. At this point I'd say Volk has proven himself but there is an argument for Jose or Max

I think FW and BW are the biggest tossups.

Volk has strength of schedule and dominance on his side. Aldo has longevity and some truly remarkable performances.

BW I think most people consider Cruz the GOAT, but there are arguments to be made for TJ and Aljo.

Aljo's title fights were too competitive to put him over Cruz imo. Also he has less title defenses. Dillashaw isn't in the running, the guy never won more than 4 fights in a row and one of his title defenses is against a bum who subbed in on short notice.

Islam will be the LW GOAT. All he needs are 2 more conservative defences. If you allow peds then every other division has a clear GOAT. If Alex gets 2 more defences he takes FW GOAT status from Aldo.

Imo, there is no clear cut LW GOAT. Every other division has a clear GOAT. But BW, and LW are the ones that will likely have a new GOAT sometime in the near future. And FW, with Alex. Possibly HW as well. But NOBODY on the horizon is going to surpass DJ, GSP, Silva, and Jones.

The only one where it's not clear is 135 and 145.

Lightweight is a bigger tossup. Islam just needs 2 wins to surpass Khabib. Volk needs 5 wins to surpass Aldo.

Yeah, that could become another longevity vs dominance discussion. IDK how you deterimine the stronger schedule between these 2. If Charles manged to get over on Islam in a rematch (which I wouldn't bet on) he'd be right in that discussion as well IMO.

LW is murky but based on my eye test I say Khabib for his pure dominance. BJ in his prime was insane tho

BW I'd say Cruz but because of his injuries I feel like he would have better separated himself had he not had those issues.

I agree with BW being the hardest to determine. Cruz literally sat on the sidelines while the division developed over the years. He benefited from not having to fight the contenders while Barao and Faber did it all for him. He ain't no GOAT for me, not even top 3.

Islam will be the LW GOAT. All he needs are 2 more conservative defences. If you allow peds then every other division has a clear GOAT. If Alex gets 2 more defences he takes FW GOAT status from Aldo.

Imo, there is no clear cut LW GOAT. Every other division has a clear GOAT. But BW, and LW are the ones that will likely have a new GOAT sometime in the near future. And FW, with Alex. Possibly HW as well. But NOBODY on the horizon is going to surpass DJ, GSP, Silva, and Jones.
Funny how often these days gsp gets left out of goat talk. Even Dana says khamzat just beat the ww goat.
GSP seems like a clear ww goat and overall he's one of the top tier p4p

They’re all pretty clear. The only division I see that’s even possibly murky is LW, where Khabib, Benson Henderson, and BJ Penn all have good arguments for it.

The rest are extremely clear: Fedor, Jones, Silva, GSP, Aldo, Cruz, and Mighty Mouse.

I agree with BW being the hardest to determine. Cruz literally sat on the sidelines while the division developed over the years. He benefited from not having to fight the contenders while Barao and Faber did it all for him. He ain't no GOAT for me, not even top 3.

Cruz beat:
Joseph Benavidez 2x
Urijah Faber 2x
TJ Dillashaw
Demetrious Johnson
Brian Bowles
Ian McCall
Scott Jorgensen

That's with losing 4 years of his prime. Now compare to Barao's best wins.

It's crazy how the dominace of Barao and Faber is practically non existent history now days.
I would agree with this but beating TJ at TJ's arguable peak is extremely impressive considering the way he annihilated Barao. You could argue his win over TJ is the best win among BW GOAT candidates.

Back