Are tall skinny fighters weak for not moving up?

No I'm a 4'8 girl and beat up 6'6+ guys and monsters all the time, the short people just need to learn to Stand Short and Proud.

Serious answer - none of the current champions are freakishly tall for their class, there's probably a point where being too tall and skinny is no longer a benefit. No reason to be sold on Zabit being some world beater with an unfair advantage when the best opponent he's beaten so far is... um...

Lmao so Khabib is a manlet? Ur wilding bro... Have u seen footage of Khabib wrestling Saltrocks?

To dutch people, and to those who are at least 6'4", many people are manlets.

Didn't Kendall Grove fight at MW and even WW acouple of times? Dude was 6'6.

I dont understand what the double standard is on this topic.

People blaming Zabit for fighting at 145? Isnt that what the game is evolving to?

Some people praise other fighters for their height and reach at a division... At what point does it become to much?
A bunch of the greats had a height advantage that were mostly praised for.

I mean, has Zabit even missed weight in the UFC?

Its the meta of the game right now. Cut down as much as you can and be the biggest in the smallest division you can cut to

Dont hate the player... Hate the game
It's become the Ultimate Weight-Cutting Championship. While obviously size isn't the be all-end all of fighting, weight cutting provides a massive advantage to a fighter that has nothing to do with martial skill or knowledge. The top ten of every division except heavyweight is full of guys who cut a massive amount to get there. And considering some people physically can't cut weight very well, I think it's creating a glass ceiling where a lot of talented individuals are kept from reaching the top. Weight cutting was never meant to be a part of the sport, it was a loophole that there was no reasonable way to plug. Now, with advances in technology and blueprints like OneFC's system around, it needs to be stopped. Fighters should have to fight at their lean, natural weight providing an allowance of 5-10 lbs at most. This 25-35 lb cut is as ridiculous as it is dangerous, yet it seems that somebody will have to die in the UFC from a failed cut before measures are taken to rectify it.

I dont understand what the double standard is on this topic.

People blaming Zabit for fighting at 145? Isnt that what the game is evolving to?

Some people praise other fighters for their height and reach at a division... At what point does it become to much?
A bunch of the greats had a height advantage that were mostly praised for.

Its the meta of the game right now. Cut down as much as you can and be the biggest in the smallest division you can cut to

Dont hate the player... Hate the game
The tall skinny ones have that all-important reach advantage, and research has shown (from Prof. Hooman Estelami of Fordham University) that fighters with decent reach advantages are significantly more likely to win. So yes, there may be a bit of strength sacrifice in Zabit's case, but he has that reach advantage which he's an expert at exploiting. And being tall and skinny doesn't mean that any speed, cardio, or skill will be sacrificed....maybe just some power. But the good ones like Zabit are powerful enough to do some damage, for sure.

Last edited:
It's become the Ultimate Weight-Cutting Championship. While obviously size isn't the be all-end all of fighting, weight cutting provides a massive advantage to a fighter that has nothing to do with martial skill or knowledge. The top ten of every division except heavyweight is full of guys who cut a massive amount to get there. And considering some people physically can't cut weight very well, I think it's creating a glass ceiling where a lot of talented individuals are kept from reaching the top. Weight cutting was never meant to be a part of the sport, it was a loophole that there was no reasonable way to plug. Now, with advances in technology and blueprints like OneFC's system around, it needs to be stopped. Fighters should have to fight at their lean, natural weight providing an allowance of 5-10 lbs at most. This 25-35 lb cut is as ridiculous as it is dangerous, yet it seems that somebody will have to die in the UFC from a failed cut before measures are taken to rectify it.
I couldnt agree more. Before i joined this website a friend explained to me how everything it works and i was dumbfounded.
I dont really know how they can prevent it, but they should

I couldnt agree more. Before i joined this website a friend explained to me how everything it works and i was dumbfounded.
I dont really know how they can prevent it, but they should
OneFC put in a system that essentially involves regular weighing and hydration testing. There's absolutely no reason the UFC, with it's much deeper pockets, couldn't do the same, but it would thoroughly fuck with the rankings and divisions.

Cormier is going to destroy Stipe and establish manlets as the baddest men on the planet

Imagine Cowboy Cerrone at LHW. He’s the same exact height as Fedor, yet fights at LW/WW. Is he a bitch?

if you can make weight, you make weight.
It would be an interesting dynamic if fighters also had to make height.

After the weigh/height ins fighters will be guzzling water and re-heighrating on a rack.

Are short stocky fighters fat for not moving down?

i don't care about the height but guys who cut a rediculous amount of weight? yea fuck that
to think 25-30lbs is a normal cut these days

George Roop is cool
20131105045208_5D3_9157.JPG

<{danawhoah}>

He weighed in at 149.9 for a FW fight and twice 146.2 which were oddly both title fights in which he won and defended the title.In the UFC no.As far as this thread i'm not going to bother reading any posts,weight cutting threads are generally filled with stupid posts.

For fight sports, weight cutting has always existed. It's not evolution. It's logic. A logic that was agreed upon long ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back