Are Stipe's opponents "that" impressive in retrospect.

There are similiarities btw Stipe´s & Sergei´s game...

He didnt almost win, 1st 2 Rds were close, the last 3 he was out.

If you reduce almost every single aspect of their games down to "they both hit hard" then sure. That's it though

And nope that's not true at all. Fight was close the entire way through, Stipe had an edge early, JDS took over around halfway through

Blaydes is definitely better than Ngannou. Volkov is better than Werdum.

That's why he lost to him easily? It wasn't even a close fight lol Ngannou beat him with ease, stuffed his TDs, got up immediately when he did get taken down and badly outstruck him

and this Werdum maybe. The one who fought Cain and Stipe would have schooled him

If you reduce almost every single aspect of their games down to "they both hit hard" then sure. That's it though

And nope that's not true at all. Fight was close the entire way through, Stipe had an edge early, JDS took over around halfway through
"they both hit hard": u didnt watch Sergei in Pride.

JDS fight: U didnt watch the fight.

"they both hit hard": u didnt watch Sergei in Pride.

JDS fight: U didnt watch the fight.

You didn't if you think his game is at all similar to Stipe's. Ridiculous thing to say

You can make anyone bad if you want to, but the reality of things is he took cars to his face and still won, right there is a huge achievement unlike Fedor who was ko’d By a middle weight! Lol

You didn't if you think his game is at all similar to Stipe's. Ridiculous thing to say
The fact that u came back with this ridiculous "both hit hard" argument exposed u, Im afraid.

This is obviously a thinly veiled hate thread!

The fact that u came back with this ridiculous "both hit hard" argument exposed u, Im afraid.

It wasn't an argument it was mocking how ridiculous the comparison was when their fighting styles and skillsets aren't at all similar

Everybody knows that HW sucks, but Stipe is clearly the best in that sucky division. He's fighting the best guys available to him.

I previously created a thread called "Is Stipe Miocic Overrated", and I mapped out my thoughts on who he had beaten and how they may be a little past it, I think it's now worth revisiting this idea.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/is-stipe-miocic-overrated.3615989/#post-133703029

First off, you can only beat who's put in front of you, so with that said we all know that Miocic has a great resume. He's a good fighter, tough son of a bitch and has been very consistent as of late.

On the flip side, we all know how bad the Heavyweight division is and I think we fall in love with the names and memories of these fighters. Overeem used to be great, dos Santos used to be great, Werdum used to be great - but all these guys are completely over the hill at this stage.

I'll be very interested to see Stipe fight DC, and perhaps Volkov and Blaydes somewhere down the line. I feel like he has been very fortunate in terms of when he has fought these guys and also who he's fought in some sense also. Roy Nelson is a poor excuse for an athlete, a guy who could probably make Light Heavyweight with any semblance of a diet, Mark Hunt is a fan favourite but if we keep it real has no grappling skill, Arlovski is a slow, plodding, over the hill striker, Fabricio is over the hill, Overeem has no chin left, dos Santos looks like a shell of himself since USADA showed up and Ngannou has literally zero grappling skill also. Is it too much to ask for a well rounded fighter to show up for once?

Wouldn't it have been great to see him against Velasquez? I genuinely feel like that would have been the perfect match-up to see him in, and it looks like we'll never get that now.

I'll leave you with the records of the fighters he beat since he beat them:

Roy Nelson - 4-7
Mark Hunt - 3-3
Andrei Arlovski - 2-5
Fabricio Werdum - 3-2 (All 3 wins were over very mediocre talent)
Alistair Overeem - 2-2
Junior dos Santos - 0-0 (Fighting an unranked opponent in his next fight)
Francis Ngannou - 0-0 (Fighting Derrick Lewis next)

I think Stipe is a product of a very, very, very bad division.

What relevance is what their records were post-Stipe?

For anyone who wants a reminder of how bad some of his opponents are, please watch this.

I love Overeem, but I'm tired of his K1 championship being brought up as a qualifier of how amazing his striking is. The guys is straight up trash these days and is making a habit of being brutally KO'd.

He literally gasses inside of 2 minutes in this fight and throws a total of about 10 strikes. Even with that small output, he manages to put Stipe on his ass. Also, go back and remind yourself of how bad the performances of Werdum (running straight forward with no defense), Ngannou (gassed worse than any fighter I've ever seen), dos Santos (didn't even put his hands up) were.

Overeem has no confidence in being able to take a hit and it shows with his striking. It's wide open, very tentative, and he rarely puts together combinations.

TS is right Stipe makes everyone look bad. I'm sure DC is old and washed up and never that good at HW and couldn't even finish Mir and what other BS after July 7th.

It's been half a decade since Cormier has competed at HW and he's 39 years old.

That's why he lost to him easily? It wasn't even a close fight lol Ngannou beat him with ease, stuffed his TDs, got up immediately when he did get taken down and badly outstruck him

and this Werdum maybe. The one who fought Cain and Stipe would have schooled him

You could argue that Blaydes has improved more since that fight than Ngannou.

From what I've heard Ngannou barely even bothers to train his ground game.

It's been half a decade since Cormier has competed at HW and he's 39 years old.

Hahaha this BS has already started.

Why don't we look the other way around. Cormier has evolved to be a much more complete fighter since the last time he was a HW. People give Blaydes (the no.1 contender at HW) no chance against DC in the other thread. Without the weight cut problems he will be in even better shape to perform.

Y'all really have no clue who Stipe Miocic is do you?

He ko'd werdum after Werdum was on a streak of knocking out Hunt and then absolutely destroying the supposed hw goat in Cain.

Overeem was on a bit of a tear himself when Miocic levelled him. So many people on here thought Econoreem was gonna sledge him.

Back