Are Garcie Academies Overated?

You are definitely the exception, not the rule.
Yes I know. The downside is I drive over 60 miles each way. But I like it, the style fits me better than the schools near me, and I get tons of one-on-one time with my instructor.

The one I'm looking at is 8 classes a month @$150 a month. The coaches for the Gracie Combatives class are both blue belts.

If you have a different school nearby why are you even considering it? Or is it a troll thread?

I just moved to Palm Springs, California and found a certified Gracie JuJizu gym out here. They seem to have all there ducks in a row with the curriculum they have and everything.

That all being said, is a Gracie academy really that much better than any other BJJ gym? Seems to be a bit more money than most BJJ gyms so are you paying for the name or are they significantly better?

I'm going to try out the gym tonite and see how I like it but I'd love to hear everyone's opinions on if the Grancie Academies are over rated or as good as they're hyped up to be. Thanks!

Good luck my friend!

I think it depends on what you are looking for. Gracie academies core teaching are basics and Jiu-Jitsu as a mean of self defense. They are not nearly as technical as academies who seek Jiu-Jitsu as a means for sport and self defense.

That being said, it always annoyed me. The Gracie's always dismissed parts of "modern Jiu-Jitsu" as ill equipped for street defense, thus dismissing technique, and not learning it, even for the sake of countering it. This seems not only short sided and detrimental to their style, but it also is arrogant in it's implicitly, because it assumes that the normal person is not smart enough to differentiate sport from street. But perhaps they just make a fuss about it, as a guide, so as a to hold a medium that allots them the opportunity to maintain somewhat of a relevance in the Jiu-Jitsu world.

The Gracie's always dismissed parts of "modern Jiu-Jitsu" as ill equipped for street defense, thus dismissing technique, and not learning it, even for the sake of countering it.

This is incorrect. The Gracie Academy curriculum introduces sport guards, passes and counters starting at blue belt.
Knowledge expectations and curriculum requirements at Gracie academy:
1 stripe blue belt - butterfly guard, spider guard.
2 stripe blue - x - guard, butterfly and spider guard passes
3 stripe blue - x guard passes, DLR guard, deep half
4 stripe blue belt - DLR passes, sit up guard.

Gracie Academy also starts teaching foot locks, toe holds, knee bars and heel hooks at blue belt.

The one I'm looking at is 8 classes a month @$150 a month. The coaches for the Gracie Combatives class are both blue belts.

Hold on here.

Are you paying that much money for blue belt to teach you?

How long is the class for?

Let say they are 90 minutes each.

That is $12.50 per hour you are paying for in a group class taught by a blue belt.

If it is 1 hour. Then it is 18.75 you are paying per hour.

Last edited:
I just moved to Palm Springs, California and found a certified Gracie JuJizu gym out here. They seem to have all there ducks in a row with the curriculum they have and everything.

That all being said, is a Gracie academy really that much better than any other BJJ gym? Seems to be a bit more money than most BJJ gyms so are you paying for the name or are they significantly better?

I'm going to try out the gym tonite and see how I like it but I'd love to hear everyone's opinions on if the Gracie Academies are over rated or as good as they're hyped up to be. Thanks!

Not by me. I rate them pretty low, and have never been disappointed.

Hold on here.

Are you paying that much money for blue belt to teach you?

How long is the class for?

Let say they are 90 minutes each.

That is $12.50 per hour you are paying for in a group class taught by a blue belt.

If it is 1 hour. Then it is 18.75 you are paying per hour.
1 hour long... I really want to go to the school for the master cycle but everyone has to go through the Combatives classes that are taught by the blue belts.

1 hour long... I really want to go to the school for the master cycle but everyone has to go through the Combatives classes that are taught by the blue belts.

I charge 16$ USD for 2 group classes per week.

Each group class is 2 hours long and includes 1 hour rolling.

Maximum 25 people on the mats.

Two ibjjf first degree black belts instructors on the mats teaching and rolling.

We also have access to an additional 4 free judo class per week.

But yeah. We are not combatives certified or Gracie approved.

Best of luck.

^^^
16 a week I take it? Still that's super competitive!

Isn't the master cycle just the same Jiu Jitsu everyone else is teaching?

I think the real question is, who is this Garcie fella and why are a peoples on the internets all het up about his academy?

You're joking right...?

Does this look like the face of someone joking too you?

26204585135_daa0d0872c_c.jpg

Last edited:
You just blew my freaking mind man... Shit, I actually never thought of that...

Well if you already knew that/felt that way/knew that's the majority opinion. then it what are you asking?
Is the cost worth it to you to learn BJJ through the Torrance curriculum?
That's really your preference...

I think it is a personal decision. I would recommend checking out the schools, and see if the culture and system resonates with you. What might be attractive or appeal to one person may not appeal to another for a variety of different reasons. Good luck and have fun!

Back