Are Garcie Academies Overated?

AJay

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I just moved to Palm Springs, California and found a certified Gracie JuJizu gym out here. They seem to have all there ducks in a row with the curriculum they have and everything.

That all being said, is a Gracie academy really that much better than any other BJJ gym? Seems to be a bit more money than most BJJ gyms so are you paying for the name or are they significantly better?

I'm going to try out the gym tonite and see how I like it but I'd love to hear everyone's opinions on if the Grancie Academies are over rated or as good as they're hyped up to be. Thanks!

You're paying for a brand. Use the free introduction class and get a feel for them. Then check out other places and do the same thing. Find a place you feel is the best fit then sign up

Most important thing about picking out a school is how comfortable you feel at the place. I think most schools you train at will make you a good grappler. The question isn't who teaches better but who's style of teaching you prefer and do you feel comfortable at the club.

if the Grancie Academies are over rated or as good as they're hyped up to be. Thanks!

The biggest one in Torrance kind of sucks. You should check all the gyms you are considering out.

What about the Torrance academy you not like yetanother? I always just assumed it be top notch school

What about the Torrance academy you not like yetanother? I always just assumed it be top notch school

I haven't trained there myself, when the used car salesman brothers post videos of rolling with their students their students seem to always suck. In impossible to loose scenarios (three on one or both hands tied) the students manage to loose anyway by not thinking one little bit about any strategy. The students try some stuff but I think they seriously lack a "how can I win this mindset".
The whole academy seems to have a super soft vibe which doesn't prepare you for competition or a fight.

It depends what you are looking for. I would be a good academy for let's say a middle aged wishing to be convinced he was turned into a badass.

Last edited:
I hear what your saying yetanother. I always wondered if that softer approach you mention came from Helio. I read back in the day Helio use the approach that students rather do the technique than the technique being done on them. It made the student feel good about himself. Wish I remembered where Rorion talks about this. Basically Rorion said Helio found students don't come back if they are getting beat up so it's better to allow the student to practice the technique and feel good about himself. It's almost like it better to let the student leave feeling good about himself than to put him through the ringer and make him better if you want the school to make money. Not saying this approach is bad but maybe why the Gracie Academy has more of a soft approach.

Just over a year, never trained GI though. MMA was my focus.

Then it will not make much difference to you.

Bjj is not Gracie jiu jitsu but since you only did nogi stuff.

You really have not learn enough Bjj to find Gracie jiu jitsu as a similar or different art.

So just attend a class and see if you like.

Most important thing about picking out a school is how comfortable you feel at the place. I think most schools you train at will make you a good grappler. The question isn't who teaches better but who's style of teaching you prefer and do you feel comfortable at the club.

As someone who has called 5 different schools "home", I agree with this 100%. The best instruction and best training partners didn't equal most happiness. I went through different phases over the years. During my early years, being at a competition orientated school was most important. Right now, having a gun relaxed environment is most important. In a couple years, I may be in a different phase.

You pay what you can afford and what is "worth it" to you.

Gracie Certified Training Centers are outrageously overpriced for the frequency and quality of instruction.

At the one nearest me you can pay $140 a month for 3 hours a week with a purple belt.

That said, I do like the curriculum. I don't like the lack of sparring at white belt.

Gracie Certified Training Centers are outrageously overpriced for the frequency and quality of instruction.

At the one nearest me you can pay $140 a month for 3 hours a week with a purple belt.

That said, I do like the curriculum. I don't like the lack of sparring at white belt.

I'm fortunate enough to be able to attend a CTC that's almost half that price, a legit black belt instructor, and five classes per week.

I hear what your saying yetanother. I always wondered if that softer approach you mention came from Helio. I read back in the day Helio use the approach that students rather do the technique than the technique being done on them. It made the student feel good about himself. Wish I remembered where Rorion talks about this. Basically Rorion said Helio found students don't come back if they are getting beat up so it's better to allow the student to practice the technique and feel good about himself. It's almost like it better to let the student leave feeling good about himself than to put him through the ringer and make him better if you want the school to make money. Not saying this approach is bad but maybe why the Gracie Academy has more of a soft approach.

They talk about it on this video called "what's a blue belt - EVERYTHING about the blue belt" or something like that. Funny enough just watched it today.

I'm fortunate enough to be able to attend a CTC that's almost half that price, a legit black belt instructor, and five classes per week.

The one I'm looking at is 8 classes a month @$150 a month. The coaches for the Gracie Combatives class are both blue belts.

You are definitely the exception, not the rule.

The one I'm looking at is 8 classes a month @$150 a month. The coaches for the Gracie Combatives class are both blue belts.
I'm on the road heading home from Chicago tonight but if you want feel free to p.m. me for my honest opinion on everything regarding CTC. I'll give you my opinion on The Good The Bad and The Ugly.

Back