Are fat people hard to take down?

I drop seo nagi'ed a 240lb plus ultra in Phoenix this last year with ease and I was a LW.

The thing with the big guys is that they know they are big. They know they have the weight advantage and they basically want to use it. They love the "fat guy" trip to set up their timber into side control where they use their weight to push your far arm into a kimura/americana. So I just use that mentality against them.

I know the jerk/snapdown is coming and stay light on my feet for it. Once it inevitably comesin, I don't resist it and let that movement set up my drop seo nagi. I mean they ARE lifting and moving their own arms practically in the same way that I would be trying to setup the throw anyway, so I just use it to put me into position to drop.

As for landing on you, the weight it nothing. You should be so deep on them, so quickly that they are not going to be sprawl out on your drop. Their body will be so far foward, past where you are, that the only weight you will feel is their legs as they slide over your head.

I understand - but I think until I get good with it, I'll practice on small people.

I understand - but I think until I get good with it, I'll practice on small people.

Hahahaha!

My first throw as a white belt taught to me by a judo guy was the drop seo nagi. I drilled, drilled, drilled, and drilled that shit forever to get it down.

Almost 5 years later, I am just now starting to change up my entry into it to camouflage it and add a couple of solid trips for it.

Hahahaha!

My first throw as a white belt taught to me by a judo guy was the drop seo nagi. I drilled, drilled, drilled, and drilled that shit forever to get it down.

Almost 5 years later, I am just now starting to change up my entry into it to camouflage it and add a couple of solid trips for it.

I like to use it in no gi against people with a really strong collar tie.

There are a lot of comments from people who are thinking what will work. Fuck that and just use what has always worked from the beginning of wrestling: Head snaps and off balances. Do you honestly think a sweep single or a footsweep is going to work on a 300lb giant? Watch ANY college match with two fat guys and its headsnaps and off balances the whole match.

There are a lot of comments from people who are thinking what will work. Fuck that and just use what has always worked from the beginning of wrestling: Head snaps and off balances. Do you honestly think a sweep single or a footsweep is going to work on a 300lb giant? Watch ANY college match with two fat guys and its headsnaps and off balances the whole match.

Yea, watch TWO fat guys and it is all headsnaps and off balance shit.

The problem for me comes up in the absolute when my 166lb, 5'5" ass can't even reach my opponents ginormous melon head because he is 6'3" and there is no way in hell I am snapping down shit.

The problem for me comes up in the absolute when my 166lb, 5'5" ass can't even reach my opponents ginormous melon head because he is 6'3" and there is no way in hell I am snapping down shit.

Then you break his balance.

At 166, why are you going takedowns with guys over 300lbs?

Arm drag to standing back control and a backwards trip seems to be the easiest way for me to get the takedown. Usually wind up in side control too.

Nothing worse than shooting in and getting sprawled on by someone 80 lbs heavier than you.

At 166, why are you going takedowns with guys over 300lbs?

Are you suggesting pulling guard against someone that much bigger than yourself? I would never give a 300lber a free pass to playing top.

I don't think fat people are universally hard to take down. Some fat people are terrible at wrestling. It's like asking if short, or skinny people are easy to take down. They're all different.

You can't force them to do anything, you have to get them to move themselves then work with that.

Pick up a leg and drive through with your shoulder. Knee tap if its there. Or low outside single. Don't do anything that could get all/most his weight on you. In mma/street there's often an overhand right to the chin waiting on a platter. Don't get clinched.

Yarb was hard to take down because of his sumo background not simply his size.

Kazushi is kazushi. Break the balance of an untrained fat man and he will fall hard.

Just make sure your knee doesn't land underneath him.
That was Daiju Takase not Kazushi Sakuraba who beat Yarborough

That was Daiju Takase not Kazushi Sakuraba who beat Yarborough

He is referring to 'kuzushi', the romanized spelling of the japanese judo term for unbalancing the opponent (which prefigures a throw), not Saku.

Also pretty sick necro.

Last edited:
Really good necro. He came in sideways with an interesting thing to say, even if misplaced. I give it a solid 7 out of 10.

Back