Are fat people hard to take down?

Check out some of Marcelo Garcia's absolute division matches. Armdrags to back all day long. His armdrag back-take on Ricco Rodriguez, followed by body-lock/knee tap is a good example.

All fat wrestlers ever do are snapdowns and off balancing. Why would you try to change the game plan when fat wrestlers have been doing the same thing to each other for 10,000 years?

I am a fan of the outside single with huge guys because if they do sprawl you will be outside of it and wont have a monster sitting on top top you. In fact if they do sprawl with a good outside single it is very easy to take the back or finish the TD.

That being said some guys are so big that they don't even sprawl at all bc it is just something they don't do. It can be a bummer.

Are fat people hard to take down or do you just suck at take downs?

outside singles are my favourite with fatties. You can cut the angle well even if they do sprawl heavy, and in some instances can even take the back..
The problem comes with being able to get to the leg and pick it up haha

In my last tourney, my 1st opponent had 110 pounds on me... and I'm 240.

Pretty much went like this... Circle, clinch... push / pull and shove him away for 30 - 45 seconds until he was frustrated. Eventually he reached and I chopped him down like a tree with an outside trip.

Run.. RUN LIKE HELL.... LOL.. but seriously.. If you faster than the person use it to your advantage.

-Outside <--- OUTSIDE leg trips.. (THis means sweet the leg from OUTSIDE towards the inside and PUSH like pregnant woman!!!!)

-Low outside singles is cool but if you get that one FAt guy that falls wrong and lands right.. YOUR FUCKED... lol (bad memories of high school practices)

- Best maneuver ive seen work is shrugs, throw-bys, duckunders, upper body slide moves.. (BUt i dont colar-tie at all to make it not noticable for my setup)

just walk up like your going to colartie and thow it.. if your movement is fast enough it will be easy to do and get it.. Ive done it in competition catchin people completely off guard

I've seen DJ Jackson take some big guys down, a lot of lapel and sleeve snap downs trying to get their balance off.

I've seen DJ Jackson take some big guys down, a lot of lapel and sleeve snap downs trying to get their balance off.

With the gi it's not as hard, if you can get them moving then footsweeps work just as well on huge guys as on little ones. Plus, you can drop seio-nage anyone if the opening is there and you get deep enough. I've thrown some huge ass guys with footsweeps and drop seio. The seio-nage is a lot harder if they aren't also tall, however.

Plus, you can drop seio-nage anyone if the opening is there and you get deep enough.

Yikes! I suck at that technique in general, but my spine hurts just thinking about failing that throw on a 350lb dude.

With the gi it's not as hard, if you can get them moving then footsweeps work just as well on huge guys as on little ones. Plus, you can drop seio-nage anyone if the opening is there and you get deep enough. I've thrown some huge ass guys with footsweeps and drop seio. The seio-nage is a lot harder if they aren't also tall, however.

yeah I see having the gi being a lot easier, Dj (when he was a purple belt) I watched in person take down some big guys, just constantly yanking on their arms/lapel, got them off balance and knocked them over. I think some bigger guys aren't used to getting that pace and/or a smaller guy whipping them around like that.

Yikes! I suck at that technique in general, but my spine hurts just thinking about failing that throw on a 350lb dude.

It's not so bad if you fail if you get way under him, because then his full weight isn't usually crashing down into you. But if you don't get deep enough with the initial entry...that can hurt.

Pace, two on one and Russian Ties and head outside singles.

I've stilled been squashed though!!

Against large people, for me:

Good grips + foot sweeps = timber (sometimes)

Arm drag to single or double = my face in mat (always)

I try to avoid working takedowns with the heavyset guy at my dojo. He's able to drop so much weight on me with his sprawl that I legitimately have safety concerns. He's popped one of my ribs before just by falling on me during a guard pass. And I've definitely been faceplanted before trying to go for the legs.

I've worked takedowns with bigger guys, but the way this dude's weight is distributed is just all in the middle. It's like getting a 260lb bowling ball dropped on you.

I drop seo nagi'ed a 240lb plus ultra in Phoenix this last year with ease and I was a LW.

The thing with the big guys is that they know they are big. They know they have the weight advantage and they basically want to use it. They love the "fat guy" trip to set up their timber into side control where they use their weight to push your far arm into a kimura/americana. So I just use that mentality against them.

I know the jerk/snapdown is coming and stay light on my feet for it. Once it inevitably comesin, I don't resist it and let that movement set up my drop seo nagi. I mean they ARE lifting and moving their own arms practically in the same way that I would be trying to setup the throw anyway, so I just use it to put me into position to drop.

As for landing on you, the weight it nothing. You should be so deep on them, so quickly that they are not going to be sprawl out on your drop. Their body will be so far foward, past where you are, that the only weight you will feel is their legs as they slide over your head.

Back