Are dinosaur bones radioactive?

I don't remember verbatim, but u really should watch some of that video scyther posted. I did awhile back and some parts were compelling. I do remembrr the bone wars, between a harvard grad and a yale grad who were competitors in finding new dino species fossils. They spent a fortune trying to outdo and eventually wreck/discredit each other. There is also apparently big business in faking dino fossils. And there have been all manner of scientific blunders over the years. From the bronto- (or maybe bracheo-) saurus having been misindentified and never having actually existed. There was some sort of raptor species fossil found recently that fooled scientists for awhile before they realized it was a fake.

It actually is interesting how jacked up that field seems to be. I'm not sold on dinos not existing. But i stand by my statement that it would not surprise me. You really should look into it a little. It's pretty interesting.

Science and scientists are wrong all the time. Yes there are rivalries and conflicting ideas, and that is even better because they try to prove each other wrong which eventually brings us truth.

The creature named Brontosaurus most certainly existed. They only misnamed the physical bones. It turns out the species was already previously named apatosaurus (I assume a diff specimen of the same species) which by the rules of scientific naming nullifies the brontosaurus name.

So the dinosaur for sure existed. And the name Brontosaurus may have been revived recently. Maybe the fossil name Brontosaurus is sufficiently different enough from Apatosaurus specimens to be assigned to a diff species and so can keep its name.

I just gave u a wikipedia link. I haven't even watched the vid you're referring to in many months. So no, I'm not citing a yt video.

Edit: that wasn't u i was talking to when i posted that wiki link, it was another poster. But that posts are a few above this one. And the link is there if u want to read it
Wtf? I didn't see any link. Anyway, I was referring to the reference you made to a video Scyther posted. Anyway, Wikipedia is its own problem. It's a great source for information for fairly trivial matters. However, for more in-depth issues, it is not a very good source. But it can put you into good sources. The sources cited in Wikipedia pages often are scholarly articles and research papers. The problem with Wikipedia is that it is a distilled version of what is in that research as interpreted by people who are often not equipped to interpret that information. If you try to use Wikipedia as a source in a research paper in college, they will give you a failing grade. And that's for a reason.

Edit: ok, that link. That's not really relevant to what I'm saying. Competition among scientists is what keeps the process honest. Everyone wants to be able to make the next important discovery. If one guy does, all the others can't wait to falsify his claims. When they can't, a new consensus is reached.

Science and scientists are wrong all the time. Yes there are rivalries and conflicting ideas, and that is even better because they try to prove each other wrong which eventually brings us truth.

The creature named Brontosaurus most certainly existed. They only misnamed the physical bones. It turns out the species was already previously named apatosaurus (I assume a diff specimen of the same species) which by the rules of scientific naming nullifies the brontosaurus name.

So the dinosaur for sure existed. And the name Brontosaurus may have been revived recently. Maybe the fossil name Brontosaurus is sufficiently different enough from Apatosaurus specimens to be assigned to a diff species and so can keep its name.

I'd never heard that (not that I've read about dinosaurs since I was 10). I googled Brontosaurus, and this was in the first paragraph of the wikipedia entry:

Although the type species, B. excelsus, had long been considered a species of the closely relatedApatosaurus,[3] more recent research has proposed that Brontosaurus is a genus separate from Apatosaurus that contains three species

Here's an article from scientific American with a more thorough explanation:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-brontosaurus-is-back1/

I'd never heard that (not that I've read about dinosaurs since I was 10). I googled Brontosaurus, and this was in the first paragraph of the wikipedia entry:

Here's an article from scientific American with a more thorough explanation:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-brontosaurus-is-back1/

I only recently heard that the brontosaurus name was being revived. Didnt actually read about it. Still guessed right anyway. 2 specimens diff. enough to be 2 diff genus.

Ancient aliens needs to be terminated and erased from the archives.

Ancient aliens needs to be terminated and erased from the archives.

I wish I could like this more than once. Also, Finding Bigfoot is another in the same category.

They were right, though. Many dino fossils ARE radioactive

I'm fucked. I lick dinosaur bones every time I visit a museum. I also drop my drawers and rub my junk on them. I thought this was something everyone did. Turns out I've been dosing myself with gamma rays. Now I can only sit back and await either the birth of my super powers or my demise.

Thanks for the links.

I guess some can become radioactive over time.

Still; not all fossils are, nor are they all dinos, and no proof of alien involvement.

It would be more compelling if there is radiation only from fossils at certain periods of the mass extinctions (especially KT event).

Thanks for the good reply. And Lol i never claimed alien involvement. I'm not one of those people. Just wondered if the radiation thing was true. And it turned out that it is. I just think that alone is interesting, and it was news to me.

Ancient Aliens has nuggets of good info, especially about archaeological sites. But other things as well. U just have to have your bullshit detector calibrated before watching it. And u have to know how to verify claims. But I've learned several things from such a silly show.

Reminds me of the saying "a wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise question." Likewise, a wise man can learn more from Ancient Aliens than a fool can learn from a peer reviewed paper. :D

I wish I could like this more than once. Also, Finding Bigfoot is another in the same category.

Yet you get excited whenever some distant star dims irregularly. It's like you hope astrophysicists find something, but you find the idea ridiculous. You're a strange man

Yet you get excited whenever some distant star dims irregularly. It's like you hope astrophysicists find something, but you find the idea ridiculous. You're a strange man

The fuck? I posted an article to see what happens here... what people will post. I even put that in the OP.

Ancient Aliens and Finding Bigfoot are ridiculously POS shows. Why is that strange?

The fuck? I posted an article to see what happens here... what people will post. I even put that in the OP.

Ancient Aliens and Finding Bigfoot are ridiculously POS shows. Why is that strange?
I didn't know they were shows lol, muh bad doug.

i-know-that-feel-wojak.jpg

Back