Anyone Suffer with TMJ

NHB7

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Ive done martial arts since 16 (I’m 36 now). Recently I had what I thought was terrible tooth pain, then an ear ache, then migraine headaches all at the same time. Turns out it was related to sparring (which at 36 I do very lightly now). Apparently the sparring was exacerbating TMJ which doc says has probably always been there.

Unfortunately, it’s just always there now. I’ve stopped sparring, but still it’s often there though more mild. But I coach kids in boxing and sometimes I do really light sparring with them and even their tiny kid punches can sky rocket my TMJ. It’s been awful.

Anyone else have bad TMJ? Any cures you’ve found other than pain killers?

What is TMJ?

What is TMJ?

Where the jaw meets your skull. When it hurts a little it’s like a pain at the base of your jaw. When it hurts a lot it feels like a toothache, ear ache and migraine. When it’s at its worst it’s lockjaw.

Most people experience because they grind their teeth at night. I got it from years of sparring apparently (and maybe some teeth grinding too).

I have had TMJ for most of my life. It really fucking sucks when you are eating and your jaw starts to lock up on you. I have had full lockjaw and its the worst. I wish I knew a remedy but aside from doing massage techniques or taking over the counter stuff I haven't had much luck. If you're experiencing pain the best thing I have ever found is Excedrin. That shit is like a miracle drug and works wonders for me whenever I am having issues. Its crazy it didn't flare up for you until recently.

Surgery, unless you want to keep taking meds... try a mouth guard to align your jaw while you sleep, dentists charge somewhere like 50 after insurance

I got Gout when I was 17 for eating too much tuna.

tenor.gif

I had TMJ BAD when I was a younger man. Goodness gracious those headaches... I felt like Tetsuo when his power was beginning to manifest...

tumblr_ms99p0vkt61rc39ujo1_500.gif

I went to the dentist and she told me to follow these steps.

Every time I walked through a doorway, make sure that my teeth weren't touching.

Quit chewing gum for hours at a time.

Cut back on caffeine.

Use my night guard that they had made for me. (mouthpiece that you wear to bed)

My head and jaw pains went away.

I hope you get taken care of. It was terrible for me.

Fucking sucks for sure. I get full on lock jaw sometimes . Scary as shit. I will literally use my hands to pry open my mouth with a ton of force. Being in cold water or high anxiety situations will always cause a lock up. I know a trigger point massage therapist who says she can cure it after a session or two . I'm about to try anything at this point

Yes, I have TMJ. Degenerative ball at the end of the right mansible. So, it no longer sits entirely in the jaw socket and pops out if alignmnent from time to time.

Not fun. Have sinus issues and I get stiff necks from the jaw muscle and headaches.

Where the jaw meets your skull. When it hurts a little it’s like a pain at the base of your jaw. When it hurts a lot it feels like a toothache, ear ache and migraine. When it’s at its worst it’s lockjaw.

Most people experience because they grind their teeth at night. I got it from years of sparring apparently (and maybe some teeth grinding too).
I’m reading this like damn this sounds like the shit I get. And I had it really bad the other day.

Then I get to the end about grinding teeth. And realize I’m doing that at this very moment lol. And when I’m not doing that I’m like, clenching my teeth.

Agh!!!

I have had TMJ for most of my life. It really fucking sucks when you are eating and your jaw starts to lock up on you. I have had full lockjaw and its the worst. I wish I knew a remedy but aside from doing massage techniques or taking over the counter stuff I haven't had much luck. If you're experiencing pain the best thing I have ever found is Excedrin. That shit is like a miracle drug and works wonders for me whenever I am having issues. Its crazy it didn't flare up for you until recently.
Ahhh!!! That happens to me too. Or my jaw keeps popping what feels like out of place.

Wow sometimes the things you learn on sherdog sucks lol

I used to have it bad. Would wake myself grinding my teeth. Every morning I would notice that my jaw was totally clenched.

I started studying the triggerpoints.net website regiliously and doing face stretches, as well as chewing and swallowing exercises I found from some Russian dude. My jaw doesn't click anymore and even on hard drugs I don' have a problem with clenching my jaw at all.

Many lost souls have risen from the abyss and you may too my child. In fact you are at the precipice. A swirling vortex of ambiguity and uncertainty lay before you, but nay, this is not the time for respite. Action and commitment shall take you through the darkest valleys, only to emerge in the ambrosia fields of freedom. TAKE BACK WHAT IS YOURS YOUNG LIONHEART! WIGGLE YoUR FACE AROUND!

Back