Anyone here who grapples on a daily basis who doesn't have some kind of nagging injury?

Straightcross

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I swear nearly every person I know that grapples competitively always have some kind of pain that they train through

Yeah, my right ankle/knee and shoulder usually hurt- but not to the point that it impacts my training; it is never too sore so that I can't train. My back usually hurts the morning after one of my three judo days though - but that is a given.

my forearms/gripping muscles and hands are always hurting
if anyone knows how to help that

As of writing, my slightly torn rotator cuff in the left shoulder is giving me trouble, and both my wrists are so jacked I can't really grip a lapel effectively. Back is sore but not too bad. Other than that I'm great.

I dont think its the tendons, just the muscles burn out in sparring and grip is worthless
i guess it takes time to get used to all the gripping

Something in my shoulder and my foot from a stress fracture

Last week I would have laughed at such weakness, but my right ankle once again has the tensile strength of applesauce.

left knee currently, i should take time off, but i wont

Gonna have to ask about that thanks
Thumb down, thumb in the gi, four fingers out of the gi. Bend fingers to fold the gi over top of itself, twist and now your hand is in a snug pocket. No longer have to grip with all your might.

Reality is if you train there will always be things that nag you. You can look at it as an opportunity to learn a new way to train to work around the injury

Everything hurts but my family has a history of heart issues. I'll trade joint and muscle pain for a healthy heart any day of the week. It's my favorite and only type of cardio I do.

Right now I have a pulled muscle in my side near the ribs. I however unlike you savages am a pansy and resort to going light and avoiding the painful positions instead of training hard through it.

I am quite lucky to have made it a quarter century playing sports like Rugby, Kickboxing , BJJ, Kendo and have no chronic injuries so I'ld rather keep it that way as long as I am able since I don't do this professionally.

Lets be honest,people dont know how to take care of their bodies.. For years i have been saying (to people i know..hah):

-Do stretching every day
-Do yoga every day. Heck,do it twice per day!
-Once per two weeks,go to physiotherapist. Believe me,they do wonders.
-Sleep allot,7-8 hours for optimal recovery.
-And train smart!!

Cheers*

To be fair, there is no off season in Bjj unlike other sports.

It means we never give our body to heal during the off season.

Like marathon runners, or bicycle racers, or rec league basketball guys, or triathletes, or cross fit competitors, or any other of thousands and thousands of others........

Edit: That reads more snarky than i intended. I guess I just know a lot of serious hobby competitors in other sports. They all have nagging injures. My wife is a Cat 3 bike racer (think lifelong purple belt where black belts are pros) and has serious back issues from spending 18-22 hours per week on a bike seat. I know guys who play league hockey year round who have ankles and knees. I know ultra runners who always have a stress fracture on a lower extremity. The list goes on.....

Last edited:
I know people my age (31) who have never done sports in their lives and have some sort of back issue, or bad knees etc. My uncle is always like "you're gonna be beat up when you're old from all that stuff" yet he has bad feet, bad shoulder, and has had two hernias and hasn't done a day of exercise since highschool (in his 50's now).

So moral of the story is I'll go ahead and enjoy my training and work around the injuries and nagging pains because chances are I'd still have nagging pains even if I never trained.

Back