Anyone here who grapples on a daily basis who doesn't have some kind of nagging injury?

I know people my age (31) who have never done sports in their lives and have some sort of back issue, or bad knees etc. My uncle is always like "you're gonna be beat up when you're old from all that stuff" yet he has bad feet, bad shoulder, and has had two hernias and hasn't done a day of exercise since highschool (in his 50's now).

So moral of the story is I'll go ahead and enjoy my training and work around the injuries and nagging pains because chances are I'd still have nagging pains even if I never trained.
This. Guys I work with have been saying.....wait until you are my age. Well, it's been 10 years. I'm at their age when they said that to me. Now they say, wait until you are my age now. Whatever. I do what I can do and that's it. I do this for fun. If at some point I can not longer continue then so be it. Until then.....

Anyone here who grapples on a daily basis who doesn't have some kind of nagging injury?

No. I think if you have been sparring or competing long enough, you will have aches and pains. It's probably unavoidable unless you're built for combat like a Mongolian.

Lets be honest,people dont know how to take care of their bodies.. For years i have been saying (to people i know..hah):

-Do stretching every day
-Do yoga every day. Heck,do it twice per day!
-Once per two weeks,go to physiotherapist. Believe me,they do wonders.
-Sleep allot,7-8 hours for optimal recovery.
-And train smart!!

Cheers*

Great! Now where in that schedule do I have time for family, household, work, and BJJ?

Lets be honest,people dont know how to take care of their bodies.. For years i have been saying (to people i know..hah):

-Do stretching every day
-Do yoga every day. Heck,do it twice per day!
-Once per two weeks,go to physiotherapist. Believe me,they do wonders.
-Sleep allot,7-8 hours for optimal recovery.
-And train smart!!

Cheers*
This is true as well.

Whenever i tell people my workouts and how much I train they always says "oh its because your young'

I'm sure BCAA, fish oil, glucosamine, 9 hours of sleep, 1.5 gallons of water, clean food diet, bi weekly massages, stretching, muscle liniment, yoga, pipe roller.....ect have absolute nothing to do with it; its just because im young......

I love when older people bitch about working out and then seeing that there diet, sleep, and workout routines are all trash..... (of course your not recovering).

This is true as well.

Whenever i tell people my workouts and how much I train they always says "oh its because your young'

I'm sure BCAA, fish oil, glucosamine, 9 hours of sleep, 1.5 gallons of water, clean food diet, bi weekly massages, stretching, muscle liniment, yoga, pipe roller.....ect have absolute nothing to do with it; its just because im young......

I love when older people bitch about working out and then seeing that there diet, sleep, and workout routines are all trash..... (of course your not recovering).

The additional implication of someone saying it's because you're young is that you have the time to do all that shit. I wish I had that flexibility but between career\family\bjj there isn't a whole lot of time left over.

Every fighter fights hurt.

The worlds most effective performance enhancing drug is sleep.

Im 33 train 7 a days week sometimes multiple times a day wth jiu jitsu at high level competitive school, cardio, yoga, strength training or a combination of them and I have no nagging issues at all. Only reason I can do it is because of my diet and rest regime. I also basically quit drinking.

The additional implication of someone saying it's because you're young is that you have the time to do all that shit. I wish I had that flexibility but between career\family\bjj there isn't a whole lot of time left over.
True but at the same time most of what I posted doesn't really take much time if any

BCAA, fish oil, glucosamine, high water intake, pipe roller for a couple minutes a few times a day, clean diet, muscle liniment such as namman muay/Neotica (all of those are not time consuming).

Stretching and bi weekly massages do take time but there both flexible in terms of when you can do it (theres no specific day/time restraint).

Sleep is really the only thing that I could be seeing as hard in terms of flexibility but even then most of my training partners who work day jobs/have kids just go to bed at a decent hour to get a full 8 hours

Back