Anyone ever do pinewood derby cars?

Yeah I did when I was in cub scouts. One year the car my Dad and I made won 1st place for the best looking car, but both years I did it my cars sucked for racing, because I didn't weigh them down enough.

I did when I was a kid. My cars never won though. Not sure what the physics is behind a winning car. Maybe weight distribution plays a role? I think when I did it there was like a 5 oz. weight limit and people would add lead weights to the car. Maybe there's an advantage to adding it to the front or the rear.

Did it when I was a cub scout. It was one of those things where the Dads were way more into it than the kids. Hell, if I ever have a son in cub scouts, I'll probably go full Tony Stark on it.

I did when I was a kid. My cars never won though. Not sure what the physics is behind a winning car. Maybe weight distribution plays a role? I think when I did it there was like a 5 oz. weight limit and people would add lead weights to the car. Maybe there's an advantage to adding it to the front or the rear.
From what I see on youtube. you want a minimalist car with the lead or tungsten weights 1 inch in front of the back axel.

Wt limit is 5 oz. And you want exactly 5 oz. More weight brings it faster down the ramp.

the cars that win on a more frequent basis from the test runs we did are the cars with the weight over the rear wheels. if you look closely in the picture where the wheels are placed just to show how it will look, you can see the spot directly behind the rear wheel when i wood puttied after placing the weight. i set one directly before, above and behind the wheel location there. the logic is that when the car is in the highest point aiming down, that weight pushes directly down on the rear axle. whether the actual weight location really plays a role o dont know. it seemed to in the dry runs on other cars. 5 oz car weight is our max as well.

I won the #1 spot as a tiger cub. Obviously with my Dad's help, but when the second year of webelos came around, my friend and myself made our own with zero parental help and got #2. Parents were mad because it was obvious that everyone else that placed had parental help and thought it was wrong for two scouts to have only one car. Fuck those bitches, we earned that trophy.

i did watch several kids whos dads were busting their asses to make their cars slick and fast, grab the car at the bottom of the run and turn and try to push their car back up the ramp because they were so jacked up on excitement, only to watch the cars jump and shoot off the side of the track and smash into the ground. they laughed and run and grab it and repeat the process. my son looked at them and said "what are they stupid? theyre gonna mess up their rides!" i couldnt stop laughing.

I won the #1 spot as a tiger cub. Obviously with my Dad's help, but when the second year of webelos came around, my friend and myself made our own with zero parental help and got #2. Parents were mad because it was obvious that everyone else that placed had parental help and thought it was wrong for two scouts to have only one car. Fuck those bitches, we earned that trophy.

awesome. i see EVERY kid getting parental help. my son has been working on his though. placing stickers and coloring it. im waiting to show him the LEDS until completion.

Last year was my oldest sons first year in scouts, so it was our first experience. It was a lot of fun, though he didn’t place near the top. It’s coming up soon, he’s looking forward to it.

awesome. i see EVERY kid getting parental help. my son has been working on his though. placing stickers and coloring it. im waiting to show him the LEDS until completion.
As you move up in the scouts, parents should be less and less involved. It's a good, harmelss lesson on reaping what you sow. Relying on your parents creates no lesson.

As you move up in the scouts, parents should be less and less involved. It's a good, harmelss lesson on reaping what you sow. Relying on your parents creates no lesson.

im not disagreeing. my sons a first grader. we have to be involved but i wouldnt have it any other way.

My 3rd grader is in cub scouts and we made a pine wood derby car.

I managed to cut out a car without losing any fingers.

Last night I took him and my 3 year old to practice with it and we had a blast seeing everyone's cars race down the track.

Did any of you guys ever do this as kids or as a parent now.

I did not do pinewood derby, but it sounds like a good time. Keep up the good parenting!

Weights and Silicon spray

I did this in third grade back in 1979 ( I know I am dating myself). All of the other kids had Do It Yourself Dad's, my Dad (as am I) was not too mechanically inclined. I came in last place in my heat.

i think i was the only kid that did it without help from my dad

Back