Anyone ever do pinewood derby cars?

R

ripskater

My 3rd grader is in cub scouts and we made a pine wood derby car.

I managed to cut out a car without losing any fingers.

Last night I took him and my 3 year old to practice with it and we had a blast seeing everyone's cars race down the track.

Did any of you guys ever do this as kids or as a parent now.

Yeah I did that back when I was a cub scout. I got really close to winning the races but just missed it. I thought I always had 1 of the sharpest looking cars but I didn't win the presentation prizes either. I thought it was a pretty fun activity. That & most of the outdoor activities were probably my favorite part of the cub scouts.

My friend does it with his son and they never win for speed but they always win for like most creative or best looking car :)

I think it's awesome!

Such a fun bonding activity for parents and kids :)

The annual Pinewood Derby thread.

because of the internet you can find the perfect shape and dimensions etc. Look for em... I also heard that some adults still race em for fun.

As a kid I did it a handful of times. It was one of the better parts of cub scouts. My worst year was when my wheels wouldn't stay attached and I got embarrassed every race. There was one kid who won several times in a row and then decided to build showy cars instead of fast cars. The last year he built a Model T or something that produced faux smoke. It was slick.

holy crap. im literally working on one with my 6 year old right now.

Red-Bull-Soapbox-2013-London-burrito.jpg

AjM-Pa.gif

the ones you can ride in are soapbox derby cars...pinewood are the little ones cut from a block of wood

As a kid I did it a handful of times. It was one of the better parts of cub scouts. My worst year was when my wheels wouldn't stay attached and I got embarrassed every race. There was one kid who won several times in a row and then decided to build showy cars instead of fast cars. The last year he built a Model T or something that produced faux smoke. It was slick.

my son wanted an all black police car. i found LED lights last night and am in the process of building a lightbar for it. so even if it isnt the fastest, itll be hilarious to have a little police car with functional lights chasing the others down the track.

Yeah, I did this in the Scouts with my dad. We had a blast with these. These are great memories and an awesome chance to bond with your sons.

my son wanted an all black police car. i found LED lights last night and am in the process of building a lightbar for it. so even if it isnt the fastest, itll be hilarious to have a little police car with functional lights chasing the others down the track.
That's awesome.

When I was in Cubs scouts I made a couple of them. They were terrible though.

Like many of the above, a few times in the cub Scouts. Never came close to winning though :(

My dad always made me build them myself so they were slow and ugly but it was fun.

You sound like a great dad. Could you post some pics when you get the car done?

I actually won a few years in a row.. there was another one like the pine wood derby but you built a boat.. i sucked at that one...

You sound like a great dad. Could you post some pics when you get the car done?

thanks man. i cant get the damn things to upload my current progress. i sent them to tete. maybe he'd have better luck.

Back