Anyone Else Really Excited about how this year is shaping up for Boxing?

XThe GreatestX

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
So this year so far we have had
Thurman vs Garcia
Frampton vs Cruz II
GGG vs Jacobs
Klits vs Joshua- Edit: Amazing Fight.
Canelo vs JCC Jr- A major event.
Kov- Ward II- Great fight.
Floyd-Conor- Joke of a fight but was fun to watch and a big buy rate
Crolla vs Linares II- Another exciting fight: Linares won clean
Miguel Cotto vs Kamiega. Cotto looked great
Charlo looked good in his MW debut
Eroll Spence Jr vs Kell Brock for the IBF Welterweight Title: Nice Fight
Shawn Porter vs Andre Berto: Nice Fight
Bradley has retired. Great career
Mikey Garcia vs Adrien Broner- Decent Fight
Gonzlez vs Sri 1/2- End of Chocolatito. Great career. Brutal ending to it though...Sri is the new king
Estrada-Cuadras- Great fight. Super entertaining. Could watch them fight 10 times

Coming up we have
MAJOR FIGHTS

Canelo-GGG!!!!- Major Event

Joshua-Pulev- Big event for me. I think Joshua has all the tools to be a superstar in America

Wilder-Ortiz!!! Should be wild

Lomachenko-Rigo- Holy fuck this is gonna be great.

Appears a Bellew-Haye rematch is gonna happen. Will be a big event

Terry Flanagan is 33-0 vs Felix Verdejo 23-0. GONNA BE A GREAT FIGHT WHEN IT HAPPENS. Verdejo could be the next man in boxing

ON TOP OF THAT

AT HW
Hughie Fury vs Joseph Parker for the WBO Belt: Finally happening
Deontay Wilder is going to be defending again this year.
Luis Ortiz, Dillian Whyte, Bermain Stiverene and Kubrat Pulev are all in the mix

Edit:
Wilder-Ortiz!!! Should be wild
Joshua-Pulev
Appears Dilllian Whyte is gonna fight on Oct 28th

CW

World Boxing Series
Usyk
Briedis
Perez
Gassiev
Wlodarczyk
Dorticos
Kudryashov

Not bad at all. Should be fun. Huck it appears is done. Good fighter for a lot of years.

SMW
Groves vs Eubank Jr in the WBS appears like it will happen. But Grooves must get passed 23-0 Jamie Cox
Callum Smith is also in WBS. Could be on a collision course with the other two.
Gilberto Ramirez vs Jesse Hart Sept 22. Both undefeated

At MW
We have a sort of four kings thing forming with
Canelo
GGG
Lemeiux
Jacobs
I imagine we get some combo of the four by the end of the year.
with BJS, Andy Lee, Eubank Jr, and N'Dam looking also in the divison

Hassan N'Dam N'Jikam vs Ryota Murata- Oct
Billy Joe Saunders vs Willie Monroe Jr- Sept 16th

My opinion: Why not do Andy Lee vs David Lemeiux?

At JMW
Lara is the man
But their is great prospects in the divison
Demtrius Andrade, Jermell Charlo, J-Rock, Harley, Lubin.
Could be an interesting divison this year.
Edit:
2 Solid fights in October
Jarett Hurd vs Austin Trout
Jermell Charlo vs Erickson Lubin

Lara vs Gausha Oct 14th
Demetrius Andrade has expressed interest in fighting Lara next!

At WW
We had two great matchups in
Spence-Brook
Porter-Berto

Danny Garcia and Keith Thurman just had their fight. i would imagine both fight by the end of the year. I assume Thurman wants the winner of Spence-Brook. Maybe Garcia can get the loser

We also have Jessie Vargas, Luis Collazo and Felix Diaz circling the divison looking for fights.

Edit
Spence will make first defense in Dec or Jan
Khan and Brook throwing jab at each other still. I dunno whats gonna happen there
Pac and Horn it appears the rematch is on hold but I think it will happen next year

Vargas vs Horn a possibility for Dec

SLW
Linares- Campbell- Sept 23

LW
Linares- Campbell- Sept 23
Robert Easter Jr is up and coming
Terry Flanagan is 33-0 vs Felix Verdejo 23-0. GONNA BE A GREAT FIGHT WHEN IT HAPPENS

JLW
Lomo vs Sosa

Lomo, Miura, Salido, Vargas, Gervonta, Berchelt and Corrales. all in the same divison
I imagine we get some combo of the 7 at some point in the year. Very exciting division.

Lomo vs Rigo
Mirua retires
Gervonta just fought on the may-mac undercard
I imagine Corrales and Castellanos are gonna rematch
Possible Vargas-Berchelt rematch

Super Flyweight

Roman Gonzalez has gone down for the count. Great career.
New Kingpin in Srisaket Sor Rungvisai
Juan Estrada is gonna fight him next
Carlos Cuadras looked great in defeat. Still in the mix

Inoue is a fucking monster and well will see what is next for him.

On top of all that

It appears the Terrence Crawford is going to be making the move to WW, which is where he is going to be really making his legacy. Lets see what happens

Adonis Stevenson vs Eledier Alvarez should happen this year: looks like itll happen

Diego De La Hoya is fighting on Sept 16th? I guess I should start paying attention to him?

It looks like Mares and Cruz are on the same card, so I imagine they fight again after.

Kov I believe is gonna fight again in Nov

What is Andre Ward's next move?

I think its going to be a great year

Last edited:
Absolutely. It's been a damn good year so far, and it's still looking up. Until Ward/Kov II is announced, Spence/Brook has my interest the most. I'm interested in the outcome of Joshua/Klitschko, too.

Well, since you put it like that, yep its looking pretty damn good.

Some great matches for sure but Pac/Khan? That is a foregone conclusion. Dude has a pinata for a chin and Pacman wants those candy dots.

I think after "on top of all that" it goes south but yeah, good stuff so far. I can't really get excited about Broner and Garcia fighting tomato cans.

Absolutely! This year feels like a break out year for boxing when all is said and done a new superstar will emerge

but its asanctioned professional boxing match

I wasn't aware that the possible fight was already signed and sanctioned by a legitimate boxing organization.

So which sanctioned organization approved the fight? What are the weight limits? Will there be random drug testing?

I wasn't aware that the possible fight was already signed and sanctioned by a legitimate boxing organization.

So which sanctioned organization approved the fight? What are the weight limits? Will there be random drug testing?
sig bet over whether or not the fight happens this year?

I don't answer sarcastic or condescending questions. Put your money where your mouth is

No you just make shit up like saying a fight is sanctioned when it hasn't even been negotiated yet.

None of my questions were sarcastic or condescending at all. I haven't paid any attention to any news about that fight because I don't like either fighter. So I thought maybe the deal was done and you could share the info.

And asking someone to put their money where their mouth is for a bet that doesn't involve money makes no sense.

Stop being fake news.

So far its been awesome.

Only downfall is May VS Mcgregor might occur.

It's been a great year so far. Hoping canelo vs ggg happens too. It should after last Saturday.

Funny you take this thread and then Big D posts this

Some things left out in OP

1. At 160, theres Ryota Murata is actually fighting N'Dam for the next shot at WBA title in May 20. Theres also Zurdo, Derevyanchenko, and Sulecki.

2. Richard Schaefer super boxing tournament

3. You forgot 126, which is the most talented weight class right now, with Santa, Frampton, Valdez, GRjr, Mares, Selby.

The Bad

HBO still broke. They rejected the Oscar Valdez, Zurdo, Shakur, Magdelano card and now its on PPV. Not really happy about Ward/Kovalev 2 on PPV, or Cotto on PPV

Arum unwiling to work with Showtime means we wont see Oscar Valdez vs any of the top 126 guys.

This is also possibly PBC's last year on the big networks. They will probably secure some fights with Bounce, FS1, etc.

I'm really excited by boxing this year, so much so that my enjoyment of it has nearly caught up to that of my decade plus love for MMA. If you would have told me a year ago that I would have thought that I would never have imagined it. This is really only the second year I have been following boxing pretty closely as an adult and the first that I have been 100% engaged every weekend and keeping up with all the news and gossip. And in my opinion, not only has the first quarter been awesome but I'm looking forward to the rest of the year. So many great fights and many fun fights. It also sure doesn't hurt that 2017 has been the year of the upset so far and I've made thousands of dollars from betting on one big underdog after another winning almost every weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back