Anyone else have an out of control teenage daughter?

It isn't like there was a recent divorce. From what he said that divorce is more than a decade in the past .

Self mutilation isn't run of the mill teenage acting out.

Superficial cutting is really common and is often just attention seeking.

Then you have to ask yourself why she so desperately wants so much attention? Is she not getting enough from the parents?

meh. lots of people do a great job hiding it. an odd practice if your goal is to get attention from it.

i was always under the impression that the main theory was that people do it as a poorly thought out way of combating anhedonia. people who feel depressed and numb. at least they can still control pain, and feel something through that.

meh. lots of people do a great job hiding it. an odd practice if your goal is to get attention from it.

i was always under the impression that the main theory was that people do it as a poorly thought out way of combating anhedonia. people who feel depressed and numb. at least they can still control pain, and feel something through that.

A lot of girls just read A Purpose for the Pain and do it.

Speaking specifically about the messed up kids you come across, how do you know their parents are good parents?

I know their parents personally. Most of them have other kids who are fantastic.

Almost forgot about this gem

a68cd15d42cb177e73561166e00d7b8e.jpg
Damn, beat me to it. Got another old school guy here. Respect.

A lot of girls just read A Purpose for the Pain and do it.

I know that my wife did it as a consequence of being raped as a child by a babysitters boyfriend.

Sometimes things can be explained in a way that makes you feel better about yourself and the world, sometimes not.

I know their parents personally. Most of them have other kids who are fantastic.
Yea, but how do you know the extent of their home life and that they're good parents?

I've seen several examples of parents who portray themselves in the best light they can when talking to people outside their house but not with their actual kids.

Last edited:
How long have you been in her life? How were things going early on?

I know that my wife did it as a consequence of being raped as a child by a babysitters boyfriend.

Sometimes things can be explained in a way that makes you feel better about yourself and the world, sometimes not.
This. Cutting is often done by people with an extreme amount of dissociation. You don't feel anything, the pain makes you feel alive. A lot of people with BPD or other dissociative disorders are cutters. Dismissing it as attention seeking is very shallow.

A lot of people don't do it for attention, and anyone that WOULD self harm for attention has other psychological issues going on. Self harm, whatever the reason, isn't something that would even occur to a healthy person.

The problem with that line is that people who use it are rarely actually doing their best. Furthermore, WTF does 'my best' have to do with responsibility?
Yeah but you can't really judge women the same way you judge men in this matter. Women have a strong nurturing instinct and they think showering kids with love is the answer to every parenting problem. Which is technically true, but 99% of single moms I've meet have zero understanding of disciplinary love aka tough love.

I have a female cat and she growls a lot

I'm here if you need me

All I get is fuck off you're not my dad. Is day to day on whether the wife can talk about problems with her.

You might not be her sperm donor, but in my book you *are* her dad. Your wife needs to get on board with that too and stop tolerating the kid saying that.

i've got a 20 year old who was relatively easy but my 10 year old is going to be a handfull

That's why you don't marry single mothers.

Either she chose a turd and can't choose=bad, or she was so awful the guy had to leave.

I don't know what to tell you, girls with father issues are generally fucked up and she obviously has father issues, with her real father not being around.

My best advice would be don't let yourself get so worked up over it, there's no point in trying to change things you can't control.

Back