Anybody else avoid fights due to fear of consequences?

Well, i definitely don't want to go to jail or lose my job...so, yes, that is a deterrent.
Ive boxed since I was 14, so I can handle myself. I don't get any thing out of beating up someone that stands no chance, unless, they really deserve it. (Girl beater, thief, etc)
I'll fight to protect myself and others, but I pretty much avoid getting physical at all costs. It's not worth it

there are definitely some dudes id love to smack though...not out of anger, but just to check them. They act up because no one ever gave them a proper smack
<Fedor23>

yeah, win or lose I don't want to end up on WSHH, with some asshole yelling "world staaaaaaar" over and over.

totally agree with this.
even at a young age and even when i knew i could take the guy. i just didnt want to deal with any consequences. being disciplined arrested etc.

and im terrified of prison.

I have literally never been in a real fight and its because I have always feared authority/the consequences, even when I am sure I can beat the other guy, I just never want to be arrested because fuck all that. I will fight anybody in a gym/ring though.

Pretty much all smart people in the world.

LOL, yes! I haven't got into a fist fight since college. I don't want to get locked up or end up in court. If there were no legal consequences I would be dropping fools a few times a year, maybe even getting whooped a few times in the process.

I avoid fights because a criminal conviction would mean I would become unemployed. After my daughter was born my fighting days ended. In my 20's they were a regular part of my weekends, mostly due to bouncing, but a few extra-curricular ones as well.

Honestly, when you are like 12 years old it is pretty sweet being able to pop someone for running their mouth. I miss being able to do that.

When I was about 15 years old, there started being some consequences. I had the police show up at my parents house or at school a few times. Not even because I got ratted out but because someone came to school with a severely screwed up face and the teachers heard all the other kids talking about it etc.

I have avoided fights because it's not my realm. If I fight I'm at a disadvantage. This hasn't been a conscious decision, and fear has likely been a factor, but I've never been intentionally hurt by someone, and have never hurt anyone, so there seems to have been a sound method to whatever negative label you want to put on it.

One time a guy tried to pick up my girlfriend, and I didn't do anything. Not sure what my rationale was, but she handled it fine. She said no, and more than once. If she had gone off with him then good riddance.

Sometimes there's no way out of a situation and you either fight or get a beating. For some reason my two fights were in Hawaii. I won both.

I remember fighting a kid and doing well when he shot and took me down and finished me with GnP until someone hit him with a bat. Turns out his father was an alternate on the croation national wrestline team and the father had been teaching his son. We both ended up on the same wrestling team a few years later. That was when I realized GnP in a 1 on 1 fight is the way to go.

Sometimes there's no way out of a situation and you either fight or get a beating. For some reason my two fights were in Hawaii. I won both.

Only once this has happened to me, every other fight I probably could have walked away from. The 10 thugs tuned me and 3 of my buddies up pretty bad though. Now that I look back on these fights, I tend to look back on them with fond memories.

Lot of pissed off locals in HI who don’t like tourists/mainlanders.

My main fear in fighting is going to jail and fucking up my future. Losing isn't that bad, especially since rematches exist :p

Knew someone who caught a kick to the back of the head while he was down. He was in the hospital for a few months and developed all kinds of speech problems. Not worth it.

Four years ago.

I stayed with a woman for a month, who had a fifty or so year old man living in her entire living room. She was paid £400 or so a month by the government as a DSS tenant, but they paid him and he only gave her £320.

She had a low paying job and had to rent out other rooms. He would intimidate the other female flatmates so that they would leave and it was just him and her. He had no respect for her, blasting sound from games and TV when she was above him, trying to get sleep for an early shift. He also smoked cannabis in the house against her wishes, bought a dog into the house when she had two cats and pinned her against a wall by her throat (he was arrested but released without charge hours later). He even had people try to frame her for a crime when she had saved him from a stroke. She also found her nightgowns to be stretched be one night and it was assumed that either he or another woman had tried it on.

Anyway I moved into one of her rooms and she came onto me. They had very intense verbal fights, I had to step in when she hit him and he was about to hit her with a snooker cue that he snapped over his knee. He didn't start on me directly but the fights between them shook my nerves, especially as she kept telling me how unstable and violent he was. In the end he started to call me names, I wanted to smash him in but knew that he was armed with a knife, so I wanted to batter him with a hammer. I knew that it would get worse if I did nothing.

So I found a room on the other side of the county.

She came with me after a few days apart and despite her repeated appeals on phone and in writing to the council, they kept fobbing her off and telling her that they would find a place.

She was served with a bankruptcy order soon after. She lost the house and all of her possessions, save her Buddha's, a few clothes and a bit of furniture. He was given a one bedroom flat by the council as soon as he was booted out and has his entire life paid for by the government. The landlady and I have been together ever since, bouncing from room to flat, to flat, to flat.

I won't even step into that town. I don't know what I would do if I saw him again.

Trained martial arts for years but never been in a proper fight. In fact I found the more I trained the less froggy I felt.

I don't go seeking out fights, and I'm decent at looking like someone you probably don't want to fuck with. If you are honestly in a situation where you have no choice, I guess you defend yourself or whoever. But honestly, these days, how many times is that the case?

You've got the right attitude TS. it is not worth it today.

I grew up in a different age (i'm 49) and we fought all the time. If a guy challenged you and he had 10 of his buddies nearby you had no problem fighting him even if you had no buddies nearby. His 10 friends would pull him or you off the minute one guy was the clear loser to ensure no one did any unnecessary and sever damage that might lead to big trouble for all. It was rare that anyone who lost ever had more than a black eye. And the police were never getting involved.

If you went home beat up your parents would assume you deserved it or expect you to do better the next time.

Nowadays you have to count on the loser not just getting punched and kicked and stomped repeatedly after he gets beat down but each of the friends nearby getting in a kick or 5. the risk of life altering injury is super high. And the risk of police charges is high.

it simply is not worth it today. And funnily enough that is sad as there was something to young boys being able to put in line other young boys who crossed lines and deserved a good ass whooping.

Only once this has happened to me, every other fight I probably could have walked away from. The 10 thugs tuned me and 3 of my buddies up pretty bad though. Now that I look back on these fights, I tend to look back on them with fond memories.

It was in a parking lot at a beach. The guy was in a van and speeding to leave and almost hit my friend. So my friend turned and looked at the van. The guy stops and gets out and starts walking towards my buddy. My then girlfriend jumps in front of my friend to stop the confrontation. The next thing I know he punches her and her sunglasses flies off her face. I instinctively was able to take his back and locked in a rear naked choke.

The guy was alot bigger than me so I didn't want to fight him head-on. I'm only 5'8, 180 and the guy was over 6'2", and probably 250. He tried to shake me off but I refused to let go. Then he passed out on the ground and when he woke he started to puke. He then proceeded to walk back to his van without looking at me and left. Thinking back I realized things could've turned deadly.

I'm afraid of the consequences for other people. I fear ill have a hinkering and taste for blood afterwards. That's at least what the invisible people tell me will happen.

Back