Any boxers today that have the intimidation factor that Tyson had?

I knew someone would say Golovkin.

no, Golovkin doesn't come close. Take a look at Spinks' face before he fought Tyson, thats the look of a man on his way to the gas chamber.

I agree with this ggg should not even be mentioned in the same sentence as far as intimidation goes. Liston was pretty feared but still it's hard to come to that Tyson level where guys were borderline fainting during stare downs

Only guys in history who had opponents scared out of their wits like Tyson were young Foreman and Liston. I'd think it must have been hard not to be trembling on the inside when you had to stare down prime Julian Jackson.

I knew someone would say Golovkin.

no, Golovkin doesn't come close. Take a look at Spinks' face before he fought Tyson, thats the look of a man on his way to the gas chamber.

He should have been afraid being a blown up cruiser fighting a top HW.

He should have been afraid being a blown up cruiser fighting a top HW.
Spinks was undefeated at HW and had been fighting in the division for 3 years, KOing guys larger than Tyson. Someone always tries to play that card against Tyson, yet Ali and Marciano all fought light heavies coming up. No one trashed them for it.

deontay wilder is pretty intimidating.

24CDF58B00000578-2915193-image-m-8_1421561985637.jpg
He lacks discretion, calm, and that deliberateness that usually comes to mind. Prime Tyson behaved ruthlessly and fought with a calculated ruthlessness. Wilder is just his name, wilder with his punches than most.

Paulie? Are you guys fooking idiots? He isn't current, he retired now.

He lacks discretion, calm, and that deliberateness that usually comes to mind. Prime Tyson behaved ruthlessly and fought with a calculated ruthlessness. Wilder is just his name, wilder with his punches than most.
yeah we are talking about tyson, who told people that he would rape them at press conferences and eat their children. who the fuck is talking about discretion and calmness.

Tyson set the standard for intimidation, so it is hard to really compare anybody to him as an equal. Liston and Foreman were pretty intimidating in their time. Now it would be GGG and Kovalev.

It's hilarious seeing Shannon Briggs get a shout out. He has developed a real following in the MMA world. They think he's actually being ducked because he's so dangerous.

Nobody at all

I assume most people dont know who he is but I post anyway

Baranchyk-326x245.jpg

yeah we are talking about tyson, who told people that he would rape them at press conferences and eat their children. who the fuck is talking about discretion and calmness.

Yeah, if it helps, I was considering prime Tyson, whom existed during the mid to late 80's. 90's Tyson was so unhinged I wonder how fighter perception of him shifted. At such a time, he exercised discretion by carefully employing his technique in an aggressive style, and he exuded a calmness, almost a humility when interviewed during that time.

I'm sure that will clear things up for you. There you go, bud.

Spinks was undefeated at HW and had been fighting in the division for 3 years, KOing guys larger than Tyson. Someone always tries to play that card against Tyson, yet Ali and Marciano all fought light heavies coming up. No one trashed them for it.

Marciano was a really small heavyweight. That was right around the end of that era where light-heavies could go up to HW. In fact, a large number of HW champs were at some time, LHW's. It was pretty common since the size disparity among most heavyweights wasn't what it became during the 60's and then the 70's. Really Liston's beat down of Patterson was around the time where that shifted, and light heavies really struggled to go up to HW since overall the fighters got bigger. Marciano becomes a bad point, but I agree with Ali, he was a bigger HW and did fight guys whose size was substantially different than his.

Yeah, if it helps, I was considering prime Tyson, whom existed during the mid to late 80's. 90's Tyson was so unhinged I wonder how fighter perception of him shifted. At such a time, he exercised discretion by carefully employing his technique in an aggressive style, and he exuded a calmness, almost a humility when interviewed during that time.

I'm sure that will clear things up for you. There you go, bud.

oh my bad i didnt know.

giphy.gif

Marciano was a really small heavyweight. That was right around the end of that era where light-heavies could go up to HW. In fact, a large number of HW champs were at some time, LHW's. It was pretty common since the size disparity among most heavyweights wasn't what it became during the 60's and then the 70's. Really Liston's beat down of Patterson was around the time where that shifted, and light heavies really struggled to go up to HW since overall the fighters got bigger. Marciano becomes a bad point, but I agree with Ali, he was a bigger HW and did fight guys whose size was substantially different than his.
You're moving the goalposts. Marciano was still a heavyweight and Charles was still a former light heavy.

Spinks was a successful HW who beat larger men.He was the lineal champion of the division. He spent most of his career at light heavy but that doesn't nullify his success at HW and make him a tomato can because he lost one fight.

Does Foreman's win over Moorer mean nothing because Moorer used to fight at light heavy?

Is Riddick Bowe a can crusher because Holyfield was a cruiserweight?

Spinks was a proven HW. He twice competed on close terms with an ATG, swaying the judges in his favor. He beat the shit out of Cooney and defended against some other guy I don't recall. Its not an embarrassing win for Tyson and the notion it is, is stupid.

Pales in comparison because decent person

But i think triple G has that calm killer look over him

Lol GGG has got a class teacher's pet aura going, somebody you wouldn't hesitate to step to if u didnt know who he was... Tyson not soo much..

Chisora got a menacing aura.. fits the description

You're moving the goalposts. Marciano was still a heavyweight and Charles was still a former light heavy.

Spinks was a successful HW who beat larger men.He was the lineal champion of the division. He spent most of his career at light heavy but that doesn't nullify his success at HW and make him a tomato can because he lost one fight.

Does Foreman's win over Moorer mean nothing because Moorer used to fight at light heavy?

Is Riddick Bowe a can crusher because Holyfield was a cruiserweight?

Spinks was a proven HW. He twice competed on close terms with an ATG, swaying the judges in his favor. He beat the shit out of Cooney and defended against some other guy I don't recall. Its not an embarrassing win for Tyson and the notion it is, is stupid.

Ok. I actually agree with what you're saying. I thought you were criticizing the wins heavyweights like Marciano for fighting light heavies when they were good fighters and the size difference wasn't like Klitschko vs Monzon. Tyson's beatdown of Spinks should be appreciated for what it was - a great win. I agree. I mis read tour original post, I guess.

1e291b00992f3d41ccee3bc2ab46145c_were-sorry-bp-were-sorry-meme_625-352.jpeg

^ What Sirpunchalot said.

With the proviso that most of Anthony Joshua's opponents have gone to the ring obviously bricking it (more of a reflection on the calibre of his victims than Sir Humble, IMO; he's an intimidating guy, to be sure, but some of those dudes looked like they were walking to the gallows).
He looks physically able to instill that type of fear but he doesn't seem to quite be there yet.

Back