Ankle lock escapes against heavier guys

michi972

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I am annoyed when a bigger guy goes for fucking ankle lock and once he has it he pulls it of in 90% only because of bigger strength, weight advantage.What to do?

What setup are they using for the ankle lock, and how are your legs entangled?

Learn to not leave your ankles out there. Learn to defend anklelocks with the proper defenses (ex: booting, stripping outer leg etc.). Youtube has it all on a platter. Big guys gonna be big, so you will have to drill so you are a step ahead when they eye your ankle and lick their mouth. The key to not being anklelocked by big guys is to be flat out better/quicker at defending than they are at attacking. No silver bullet to be found in this case.

TLDR: Train ankle locks and their defenses more (duh).

Last edited:
Honestly big guys have never seemed to be any more threatening in ankle locks unless they have exceptionally long legs.

Their weight isn't really on you in any appreciable way.

most basic thing i look for is falling on the opposite side hip.

if your partner is ankle locking your left leg you need to be on your right hip. If you are on your left hip he is gonna go belly down and finish you with the quickness. if you are on the right hip he doesnt have the angle and you have time to stand up (you will end up in SLX) or strip the outside leg and hop over (then you can be on the left hip or flat on your butt).

I am annoyed when a bigger guy goes for fucking ankle lock and once he has it he pulls it of in 90% only because of bigger strength, weight advantage.What to do?

Quit bitching and learn better defense. If you ever find yourself saying 'that only worked because he was bigger and stronger' slap yourself in the face and go back to drilling. Not because it might not be true, but because it's a useless mentality to have.

most basic thing i look for is falling on the opposite side hip.

if your partner is ankle locking your left leg you need to be on your right hip. If you are on your left hip he is gonna go belly down and finish you with the quickness. if you are on the right hip he doesnt have the angle and you have time to stand up (you will end up in SLX) or strip the outside leg and hop over (then you can be on the left hip or flat on your butt).

Completely disagree. Falling on the opposite hip is begging to be reaped, which makes it way harder to escape and bends your leg making the ankle lock stronger. It also gives him a good transitions into toe holds. This defense really only works in IBJJF tournaments because if they put inward pressure on the knee they're DQed.

This is a much better defense IMO that also addresses the belly down transition.

If you do land on the opposite side hip and he doesn't have the reap for whatever reason you should stand up, pressure into him, and clear his legs in front of you. If he gets the reap the you have to clear that first and do the same.

Quit bitching and learn better defense. If you ever find yourself saying 'that only worked because he was bigger and stronger' slap yourself in the face and go back to drilling. Not because it might not be true, but because it's a useless mentality to have.
Maybe I got caught, but if he wasn't heavier he could go for that submission and probably wouldn't have any success.It isn't very technical

Completely disagree. Falling on the opposite hip is begging to be reaped, which makes it way harder to escape and bends your leg making the ankle lock stronger. It also gives him a good transitions into toe holds. This defense really only works in IBJJF tournaments because if they put inward pressure on the knee they're DQed.

This is a much better defense IMO that also addresses the belly down transition.

If you do land on the opposite side hip and he doesn't have the reap for whatever reason you should stand up, pressure into him, and clear his legs in front of you. If he gets the reap the you have to clear that first and do the same.

i do agree that its only applicable for IBJJF rules. I just assumed most ppl in the gi play that way. I land on opposite hip and stand up asap anyways (usually into slx like i said but im prepared to strip the foot on hip as he transitions). it also makes the escape you posted easier to do as you switch hips you are pushing the outside leg down (as i said in my post).

in nogi i wouldnt do that escape. in nogi you have alot more to worry about in terms of reaps and heel hooks.

Maybe I got caught, but if he wasn't heavier he could go for that submission and probably wouldn't have any success.It isn't very technical

If it wasn't very technical it shouldn't be very hard to escape, even if he's big. So either it's more technical than you think, or you don't know how to escape from ankle locks. In either case there are technical solutions to the problem. Complaining about the guy being big isn't going to win you any sympathy from experienced people, because 9/10 times it's a cop out for you not knowing how to defend something properly.

If it wasn't very technical it shouldn't be very hard to escape, even if he's big. So either it's more technical than you think, or you don't know how to escape from ankle locks. In either case there are technical solutions to the problem. Complaining about the guy being big isn't going to win you any sympathy from experienced people, because 9/10 times it's a cop out for you not knowing how to defend something properly.
What I mean, it combines more strength with technique when many other submissions combine much more technique than strength

I am not complaining, but if the guy can't armbar me, guilotine etc. , only goes for the technique that will not work against guys his size, once someone is the same weoght ankle lock doesn't work that much.I mean what to do once someone holds it thight, once someone is not that big you can survive it for long time or all the time

Spoken like someone that doesn't know jack shit about ankle locks. Stop trying to rationalize getting tapped. It is clear now that you primarily get tapped because of a lack of knowledge/skill.

Train moar.

I am not complaining, but if the guy can't armbar me, guilotine etc. , only goes for the technique that will not work against guys his size, once someone is the same weoght ankle lock doesn't work that much.I mean what to do once someone holds it thight, once someone is not that big you can survive it for long time or all the time

If he can't armbar or choke you but is getting footlocks, that should be a big red flag that your footlock awareness and defense are not on point. Footlocks are just as technical, if not more so, than anything else. They aren't easy to get, regardless of size, except on people whose defense sucks. (That's you, apparently.)

What I mean, it combines more strength with technique when many other submissions combine much more technique than strength

You're not getting it, so I'll be very clear: what you wrote above is wrong. It is simply wrong. The ankle lock finish is quite hard, and is almost all a matter of technique over strength. Your problem isn't that he's bigger than you. Your problem is that you don't know how to defend and escape ankle locks, and apparently aren't going to try and learn because you think (again, incorrectly) that it is a strength move.

Here's the most basic way to deal with ankle locks. First, put on the boot to buy a little time. Secondly, don't let him connect his hands. Grab one of his arms with both of yours to prevent that. Third, keep him from extending. Grab his gi or behind his head (if no-gi) so that he can't extend. There are finishes without extension, but they're a little harder to pull off. Fourth, try to get to your feet. He cannot leg lock you if your foot is flat on the ground. Once you are on your feet you can try to push his legs down off yours and start passing. But you won't get locked.

All of this is predicated of course on your accepting that your problem is not a size difference, it's a technical deficiency on your part. I guess you could go start lifting weights if you really think that's the issue.

That is also demonstrably wrong. You should look up Renato Cardoso and Cavaca matches. If you are good at setting up and finishing the ankle lock, it works on anyone.

Oh really?
My straight ankle lock attacks the ATF ligament rather than the achilles tendon, so it isn't just pain like how most would think. Also, the grip (lots of variations) make it technical, as well as leg entanglement which prevents you from moving if done correctly.
Ankle locks and leg locks not being technical is an ignorant mantra of the weak. The fact you find yourself getting subbed in it often means your legs are open and available like a broken hearted prom date.

All of this is predicated of course on your accepting that your problem is not a size difference, it's a technical deficiency on your part. I guess you could go start lifting weights if you really think that's the issue.

Weighted gas pedals are underrated.

Really the only role that strength plays is in the leg press motion to try to keep your hips on the mat, and defending some of the grip breaks you might use. If you get your foot flat on the floor, Chad Wesley Smith could try to ankle lock you and nothing will happen, because your foot can't hyper-extend through space that's already occupied.

Back