Andre Galvao?

If you are going to go hard on Andre because of his steroid use, you may as well go hard on 99% or elite Bjj athletes. Adcc is Like Comic-Con...
Exactly. If people could know all their favorite athletes that have ever taken PEDs I think they’d be very disappointed.

Galvao relies on athleticism more than they do. His whole game is built around it and his techniques are chosen to maximize it.
For me as lanky clumsy guy almost everything Galvao shows is worthless. I can use the stuff Lo or Rafa do, and even things from Buchecha are generally solid.

I've been to two Galvao seminars, and I still use stuff I picked up from him. He's one of the main technical innovators at Atos, the notion that he relies on athleticism more than any other elite grappler is silly. Of course he's in amazing shape. No one wins ADCC medals without being in amazing shape. If you're having trouble doing anything Galvao shows, it seems more likely it's you than it's him. I mean, if he wasn't a great coach why would so many top prospects flock to Atos HQ to train under him (and have a lot of success doing so)?

Rolling with Galvao was one of the most impactful experiences I've ever had in BJJ, not because he was so strong or powerful, but because he was so light and moved so well. It showed me the level that was possible. It was the grappling equivalent of shrooming. The man is an exceptional grappler and it has much less to do with his physicality than his mastery of BJJ.

but because he was so light and moved so well.

You know that monkey like agility is also athleticisms. I bet his techniques work well for other short, stocky athletic guys. It's possible he is a good coach for even those teammates who don't play his style like Keenan. Galvao has a kitchen sink game and has been on the top level for ages so he likely has a ton of advice (even from experience how the technical wizard are trying to counter him). Also I believe a lot of people choose atos for the teammates.

Andre's accomplishments are amazing.

However, let's not forget that he has won his weight class in ADCC only once- Granted in the later ADCC's he competed in the superfights and didn't do the tourney, but he also didn't win in his weight class in 2007 and 2009.

Andre's accomplishments are amazing.

However, let's not forget that he has won his weight class in ADCC only once- Granted in the later ADCC's he competed in the superfights and didn't do the tourney, but he also didn't win in his weight class in 2007 and 2009.
This is true. And in many ways I think running through a bracket is tougher than a superfight. But even though he only won his bracket once (2011) he also won the absolute that year and subbed Pablo Popovitch in the absolute finals, and so a double gold performance with a sub in the finals is worth a lot in my opinion.

I also think there's also an inherent difficulty in preparing for one opponent that is the absolute champion. One thing I dislike about ADCC is the fact that the absolute champion has to do the superfight the next time around instead of being able to do another bracket run.

I would probably put a little more worth on 3 bracket wins as opposed to 3 superfight title defenses but they're both worth a lot I think.

One thing I dislike about ADCC is the fact that the absolute champion has to do the superfight the next time around instead of being able to do another bracket run.

I would probably put a little more worth on 3 bracket wins as opposed to 3 superfight title defenses but they're both worth a lot I think.

I maybe wrong about this, but I have read previously that the absolute champion doesn't have to do the superfight next time. Every one always chooses to do so because the prize money is greater for the super fight, and is also physically less demanding.

I maybe wrong about this, but I have read previously that the absolute champion doesn't have to do the superfight next time. Every one always chooses to do so because the prize money is greater for the super fight, and is also physically less demanding.
That would make sense. Thanks for the info. I would definitely choose it instead. I bet it's definitely better than having to make weight 3 days in a row and competing all weekend.

I'm not saying he is in the top 5- but trying to make a top 5 is pretty tough to do.

After, say Marcelo and Roger- who's the next 3? Cobrinha? Mendes? Xande? Buchecha? Malfince? Lo? Vieira? Deciding the next 3 seems fairly subjective.

Braulio Estima is 3 imo he beat Marcelo and jacare (I know he was roided) and never competed against Roger but his resume is top 5 if not the 3 spot

What's your opinions on the now retired legend? IMO, he's in the top 5, maybe top 3, of P4P best grapplers of all time. just going back and watching some of his highlights and remember how much of a beast he used to be, I mean he still is tbh. holds wins over

• Prime Fabricio Werdum
• Rafael Lovato
• Chael Sonnen
• Leandro Lo
• Sergio Moraes
• Gunni Nelson
• Marcus Almeida
• Palhares
• Chris Weidman
• RDA

And many more, but these are impressive wins. that's a good stable of guys he had beaten, especially Werdum at his best, who is arguably one of the best grapplers to ever step in the cage.

What do you think about his impressive rèsumè and where do you rank him among the best grapplers of all time?

Awesome grappler and champ. However he and some not his students to pass the eye test lol.

Braulio Estima is 3 imo he beat Marcelo and jacare (I know he was roided) and never competed against Roger but his resume is top 5 if not the 3 spot

My order would be Roger, teterra (don't know how to spell his name lol) jacare, Marcello and xande maybe.

Exactly. If people could know all their favorite athletes that have ever taken PEDs I think they’d be very disappointed.

Yeah, and I imagine a lot of them got on PED’s not necessarily to gain an advantage but to heal from an injury more quickly (Obviously some want better performance). Even supplemental growth hormone can cause you to get back on the mat days after a significant tear, I’ve seen the healing firsthand, it’s crazy.

Why no mention of Terere or Jacare Souza in any of your top rankings?

I think Braulio and everyone in GB universally agree that Roger is the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back