Andre Galvao?

Relentless chase

The one and only
@Brown
Reaction score
What's your opinions on the now retired legend? IMO, he's in the top 5, maybe top 3, of P4P best grapplers of all time. just going back and watching some of his highlights and remember how much of a beast he used to be, I mean he still is tbh. holds wins over

• Prime Fabricio Werdum
• Rafael Lovato
• Chael Sonnen
• Leandro Lo
• Sergio Moraes
• Gunni Nelson
• Marcus Almeida
• Palhares
• Chris Weidman
• RDA

And many more, but these are impressive wins. that's a good stable of guys he had beaten, especially Werdum at his best, who is arguably one of the best grapplers to ever step in the cage.

What do you think about his impressive rèsumè and where do you rank him among the best grapplers of all time?

I’d put him too 5 pound for pound like you.

Big strengths that stand out besides his resume to me are also his versatility. He can play almost any guard or any passing style even in competition. He’s a great coach and started a legendary team. All while competing. Good gi and no-gi. He has a lot of subs but I’ve never thought of him as a submission machine. But literally that’s the only thing I can say about him.

He’s an innovator and I think top 5 status is warranted.

I'm not saying he is in the top 5- but trying to make a top 5 is pretty tough to do.

After, say Marcelo and Roger- who's the next 3? Cobrinha? Mendes? Xande? Buchecha? Malfince? Lo? Vieira? Deciding the next 3 seems fairly subjective.

I'm not saying he is in the top 5- but trying to make a top 5 is pretty tough to do.

After, say Marcelo and Roger- who's the next 3? Cobrinha? Mendes? Xande? Buchecha? Malfince? Lo? Vieira? Deciding the next 3 seems fairly subjective.
Absolutely. And it's weird because some of it is how much you value gi or no-gi. Maybe someone that thinks gi is more important may place him lower? But I don't know because even then he has 6 gi world titles at black belt if you count the one he got when Pena failed his drug test.

Also I think Andre is actually better in the gi and he definitely submits more people in the gi, but his most dominant achievement is 2x gold ADCC 2011, and then defending his superfight title 3 more times.

So it's objective right? So I thought Braulio getting double gold at ADCC 2009 and subbing 6 or 7 matches including Andre, Xande, and Marcelo was a more impressive double gold run than Andre's double gold run in 2011. But Andre held onto the superfight title 3x and gave Braulio a receipt by subbing him back. And I don't think that 3x superfight title defense feat will ever be repeated.

I think Rafa, Cobrinha, and Malfacine would have to be on any top 5 pound for pound list if you're talking just who has the best jiu-jitsu. I think they may have the 3 cleanest looking jiu-jitsu styles of anyone ever. Definitely top 5 if you look at how precise and sharp their technique is. But if someone didn't put them on the list because of the lack of open weight division participation (although Cobrinha did a few) and the fact that roosterweight and featherweight wasn't as deep as lightweight or middleweight for example then I'd be open to that argument too.

A top 5 list is very hard.

Corbrinha and Rafa Mendes are freaking killers. their technique is pure and sound. Corbinha's son Kennedy is turning out to be just like him, just goes to show the style of Jiu Jitsu he brings to the table. that's one of the things I love most about grappling, so many people have their own different variations and techniques. Cobrinha has his style, Galvao has his style, Mendes, Marcelo Garcia, etc. I mean, there's hardly nothing I love more than to watch two of some of the worlds finest practitioners face off and showcase their style of BJJ.

Yea man, it's a tough call, there's so many elite level grapplers deserving to be in the top 5. going back to my post, what's your opinion on Galvao?
top 10 for sure not sure about top 5

if you pressed me it would be of course Roger at #1 (coming of off retirement to wreck Buchecha cemented his GOAT status). Marcelo at #2 (smaller guy not afraid to take on the big guys in the open weights).

3. Rafa

4. Cobrinha

5. Galvao/Xande/Rodolfo/Buchecha/Bruno

Outside of Roger and Marcelo I'd say the top five would be very subjective and probably Bias with people pushing their personal favourites.

1. Roger

2. Marcelo

3 -10 ????
My top 12 would be (in no particular order after 1 and 2)

Roger Gracie
Marcelo Garcia
Buchecha
Rafa Mendes
Andre Galvao
Leandro Lo
Xande Ribeiro
Bruno Malfacine
Braulio Estima
Cobrinha
Rodolfo Vieira
Lucas Lepri

Based on different criteria I could order this list a few different ways.

Last edited:

Roger Gracie
Marcelo Garcia
Buchecha
Rafa Mendes
Andre Galvao
Leandro Lo
Xande Ribeiro
Bruno Malfacine
Braulio Estima
Cobrinha
Rodolfo Vieira
Lucas Lepri

I agree with this top 5 although Rafa is goat to me.

Roger Gracie
Marcelo Garcia
Buchecha
Rafa Mendes
Andre Galvao
Leandro Lo
Xande Ribeiro
Bruno Malfacine
Braulio Estima
Cobrinha
Rodolfo Vieira
Lucas Lepri

That's my point- after 2, I couldn't really argue with any rankings. I think saying he is in the top 10-15 of all time is high enough praise. You put Galvao at 4? Fine. You put him at 11? Fine. I mean, look at the names you haven't included on this list (Romulo, Royler, Jacare, Werdum, Pe'de Pano, Faria). You could put Galvao in with them and shouldn't bat an eye.

I'd have him top 5 without the gi, quite a bit lower (fringe top 10) in the gi. What I admire about Galvao more than his accomplishments in any specific domain is that he did everything well. He may be the only person to have won Mundials, ADCC, have wins in a top level MMA promotion, and have produced world champion students. The only people I can think of who even have 3 of those 4 are legends like Fabio Gurgel, Leo Vieira, Jacare, Royler Gracie, arguably Sperry and Bustamante with BTT, and Demian Maia. Rarefied company.

That's my point- after 2, I couldn't really argue with any rankings. I think saying he is in the top 10-15 of all time is high enough praise. You put Galvao at 4? Fine. You put him at 11? Fine. I mean, look at the names you haven't included on this list (Romulo, Royler, Jacare, Werdum, Pe'de Pano, Faria). You could put Galvao in with them and shouldn't bat an eye.
My list was no particular order after 1 and 2 but good points.

I'd have him top 5 without the gi, quite a bit lower (fringe top 10) in the gi. What I admire about Galvao more than his accomplishments in any specific domain is that he did everything well. He may be the only person to have won Mundials, ADCC, have wins in a top level MMA promotion, and have produced world champion students. The only people I can think of who even have 3 of those 4 are legends like Fabio Gurgel, Leo Vieira, Jacare, Royler Gracie, arguably Sperry and Bustamante with BTT, and Demian Maia. Rarefied company.
This. He is well rounded and good at everything. He’s also got much better Judo and wrestling than most BJJ players.

roger
marcelo or marcelo roger...

then whole bunch of elite humans.

Absolutely. And it's weird because some of it is how much you value gi or no-gi. Maybe someone that thinks gi is more important may place him lower? But I don't know because even then he has 6 gi world titles at black belt if you count the one he got when Pena failed his drug test.

Also I think Andre is actually better in the gi and he definitely submits more people in the gi, but his most dominant achievement is 2x gold ADCC 2011, and then defending his superfight title 3 more times.

So it's objective right? So I thought Braulio getting double gold at ADCC 2009 and subbing 6 or 7 matches including Andre, Xande, and Marcelo was a more impressive double gold run than Andre's double gold run in 2011. But Andre held onto the superfight title 3x and gave Braulio a receipt by subbing him back. And I don't think that 3x superfight title defense feat will ever be repeated.
man p4p was braulio adcc 2009 i feell inlove with him during that time was insaneeee what he was doing upside down triangling everyone

i never been a big fan of andre tbh idk why he gets such praise ig euss due to being the head coach at atos he isnt as technical as alot of the other greats he seems to get off on being a great athlete than being super smooth ivonly really watched him no gi

man p4p was braulio adcc 2009 i feell inlove with him during that time was insaneeee what he was doing upside down triangling everyone
yeah bro. Braulio subbed Marcelo, Lovato Jr, Andre, and Xande.

Helluva performance.

I know for sure people will disagree but I thought that performance was maybe even better than Roger's ADCC double gold performance. Braulio didn't sub everyone like Roger but he almost did. And I think the level of competition in 2009 was higher than 2005. Roger did sub Jacare though. Tough call.

Braulio's 2009 run is a top 3 ADCC bracket run no matter how you slice it.

Back