And this weeks most useless move goes to...

Those elaborate hero fantasy technique combinations are always as hilarious. Apparently the assumption is always that the first strike is deadly enough to completely paralyze your opponent but keep him standing in the same position.... and same with the following 5 punches. Some dark magic right there.
worked for Connor against Eddie :(

I think that the level of conditioning, toughness & skill with techniques was pretty damn high in comparison to other places I've been to.

I mean I still remember how banged up I use to feel after every lesson - nearly every session was intense - almost like a spartan training program.

I mean if you watch that Kihon - prior to doing that we'd usually to HIIT sprints that would have everyone gasping for breath - then endless amounts of Kihon till we couldn't even lift our legs high anymore, followed by padwork and then a water break before about 30mins of sparring right at the end.

In my experience it was the best KK dojo I've ever been at (no disrespect to the other dojos I've attended) - of course @Tayski would say Bethnal Green is the best lol.

The sparring was very good as well - because nearly everyone in that dojo was bigger than me - so I was pushed every week in a good way. I learnt a lot from the higher grades in sparring as well.

No disrespect Azam but there are several Kyokushin dojos in London that you haven't trained at, including the Bethnal Green dojo ;)

Having trained at both Tokei and Bethnal Green dojo, I obviously prefer Bethnal Green as that's the dojo I eventually chose to train at after trying out several dojos in London. The intensity of the classes and sparring as well as the experience of the instructors was on a higher level compared to Tokei IMO. However Tokei is a good dojo, and their 'fight club' sparring session on Sundays is great! They also seem to be doing very well in tournaments at the moment.

Last edited:
Oh, I've heard of people crediting kihon for their success in tournaments too etc (like one 65kg guy who won the open weight tournament in Japan said his preparation consisted of kihon and kata), but I'm not convinced. People tend to praise whatever it is they're doing for their success, even if it's not beneficial or even if it's hindering the progress (a phenomenon very visible with all the special diets, for example)

I don't see it having any advantages over shadowboxing but plenty of disadvantages.

I guess so - depends on you as a person I suppose. What someone might find useful might be useless to someone else.

For some it might be a waste of time for others not so much. I feel like it has helped me though - I wouldn't try to compare it though with shadowboxing or something else.

People might find it crazy me saying this but I dunno I actually prefer kihon over shadowboxing. But that's just me.

No disrespect Azam but there are several Kyokushin dojos in London that you haven't trained at, including the Bethnal Green dojo ;)

Having trained at both Tokei and Bethnal Green dojo, I obviously prefer Bethnal Green as that's the dojo I eventually chose to train at after trying out several dojos in London. The intensity of the classes and sparring as well as the experience of the instructors was on a higher level compared to Tokei IMO. However Tokei is a good dojo, and their 'fight club' sparring session on Sundays is great! They also seem to be doing very well in tournaments at the moment.

Relax lol - it's just my opinion out of all the dojos I have been too. There are of course many that I haven't attended. I can only give a judgement on the dojos I have attended though - for me the classes were the most demanding but I've only checked out 5 dojos in the London area. I'm sure Bethnal Green might be more demanding - but I can't really comment on somewhere I haven't trained.

Last edited:
how about this one:

08e74b8f63293cb6adf736e9e609dd7b.gif
..I was away to criticize it, but Clements did it almost perfectly

how about this one:

i have a friend I used to train with who would do this when we sparred. Goofy guy with pretty good technique, maybe 6'0 and fought at 160-165. He'd manage to trip people with it once in a while and everyone in the gym would yell, "DRAGONS TAIL!" when it worked. It was good natured but god was it embarrassing to get swept with such a cheesy move.

Yeah I recognise him, he did some documentary videos called Fight Masters:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9zUw_CqlPh27s0TLR9kIRA

And that's the video about your old dojo:

This was painful to watch and i only did it because I like to avoid being productive. "why would you want to hurt anyone" "I don't think anyone seriously wants to hurt anyone" why does anyone with that mindset even train martial arts.

Obviously a person that wants to live a normal life socially shouldn't go around beating people up but a.) some do and b.) the whole purpose of doing martial arts is to beat other people up. He literally (ok I'm paraphrasing) said that he hopes his fancy karate kicks make other people just back off without fighting.

People like that destroyed Asian TMAs and transformed them into choreographed dancing with severly limited sparring at best.

but I've only checked out 5 dojos in the London area. I'm sure Bethnal Green might be more demanding - but I can't really comment on somewhere I haven't trained.

Which 5 did you go to?

This was painful to watch and i only did it because I like to avoid being productive. "why would you want to hurt anyone" "I don't think anyone seriously wants to hurt anyone" why does anyone with that mindset even train martial arts.

Obviously a person that wants to live a normal life socially shouldn't go around beating people up but a.) some do and b.) the whole purpose of doing martial arts is to beat other people up. He literally (ok I'm paraphrasing) said that he hopes his fancy karate kicks make other people just back off without fighting.

People like that destroyed Asian TMAs and transformed them into choreographed dancing with severly limited sparring at best.

I partly agree with some of your post, however I disagree that 'the whole purpose of martial art is to beat other people up'. If anything it's actually learning to control oneself and gain enough confidence and awareness that you don't need to beat other people up. Fight sports like boxing and MMA are about beating other people indeed, but generally martial arts aren't just about that. Also if you actually enjoy hurting people and seeing them in pain you're a psycho. I'm not saying you shouldn't compete or fight, but if you damage or KO someone it shouldn't make you feel good/happy. Happy that you won yes, not happy that the other person is damaged or concussed (unless you really hate them lol).

I partly agree with some of your post, however I disagree that 'the whole purpose of martial art is to beat other people up'. If anything it's actually learning to control oneself and gain enough confidence and awareness that you don't need to beat other people up. Fight sports like boxing and MMA are about beating other people indeed, but generally martial arts aren't just about that. Also if you actually enjoy hurting people and seeing them in pain you're a psycho. I'm not saying you shouldn't compete or fight, but if you damage or KO someone it shouldn't make you feel good/happy. Happy that you won yes, not happy that the other person is damaged or concussed (unless you really hate them lol).

With self defense martial arts it is still about beating people up.
At least partially. Of course if the goal is to defend yourself then you are hoping that you don't have to fight but the ultimate goal is still to be able to fight if you have to at some point. If you need only confidence and just have to seem tough then you might as well take acting classes or some life coaching session, start bodybuilding or whatever helps you.

I only box semi regularly for fun and I feel bad for the person if I hit them with big shots but in the moment I really enjoy it at least when it's them who wanna go hard.

When i watch fights and I'm not a fan of the fighter on the wrong end or even like the fighter then I really enjoy voilence even if I know that it does damage to them. Kirkland vs Tapia was awesome to watch

i have a friend I used to train with who would do this when we sparred. Goofy guy with pretty good technique, maybe 6'0 and fought at 160-165. He'd manage to trip people with it once in a while and everyone in the gym would yell, "DRAGONS TAIL!" when it worked. It was good natured but god was it embarrassing to get swept with such a cheesy move.

The first time I hit a guy with it I felt like a ninja.

With self defense martial arts it is still about beating people up.
At least partially. Of course if the goal is to defend yourself then you are hoping that you don't have to fight but the ultimate goal is still to be able to fight if you have to at some point. If you need only confidence and just have to seem tough then you might as well take acting classes or some life coaching session, start bodybuilding or whatever helps you.

I only box semi regularly for fun and I feel bad for the person if I hit them with big shots but in the moment I really enjoy it at least when it's them who wanna go hard.

When i watch fights and I'm not a fan of the fighter on the wrong end or even like the fighter then I really enjoy voilence even if I know that it does damage to them. Kirkland vs Tapia was awesome to watch

Self Defence should never be about beating people up. Awareness, confidence, appearance and dissuasion are much more effective tools for self defence. Actually finishing someone violently should really only be last resort. Why would you want to be 'beating people up' if you don't even have to?

It's interesting you mention body building as it's actually a big dissuasion from being attacked.

In most cases if you're being attacked it's because your attackers want to take something from you, and they will pretty much always make sure they have an edge over you either in size (a big guy attacking an old woman or someone who looks weak), or in numbers (attacking 1 person who's alone as a group), or because they have a weapon. Body Building doesn't teach you any fighting skills, but I guarantee you that you're much less likely to be a target if you're 100 kg's of muscle compared to if you're a skinny 60 kg's guy. That's how attackers think, they want a weak target with a very low risk of getting fought back. A big guy always will look scarier to them, even if we know that muscle means nothing.

When I used to go out clubbing as a teenager it would always be the smallest guy in our group (he was about 1m60) who would be the target from drunken guys looking for fights, while no one would try to mess with my other friend who did rugby and was built like a house.

I appreciate you enjoy landing good shots and watching crazy fights with 2 dudes going mad on each other, I really enjoy that too. But enjoying hurting people and watching them in pain is something completely different, and that's not human or normal IMO.

Which 5 did you go to?

K3, Tokei, Budo, one in wallington IKKU & one in Thornton Heath (accredited to Bernard Creton's org). I think I went to another KK dojo - can't remember where it was though.

K3, Tokei, Budo, one in wallington IKKU & one in Thornton Heath (accredited to Bernard Creton's org). I think I went to another KK dojo - can't remember where it was though.

oh so you did go to the Croydon dojo with Sensei Stringer? How was that?
Would you mind giving me a bit of feedback on all those dojos? (in pm if you prefer)

Back