Analyzing Champs: Stipe Miocic

GreatSaintGuillotine

You may not like what I say but it's the truth.
@Gold
Reaction score
Point of these threads will be to give unbiased analysis of UFC champs while grading their abilities, and breaking down their flaws.

Stipe Miocic: 17-2-0; five fight win streak; two title defenses.

Power: A
Speed: B-
(Good for a HW but nothing special)
Stamina/cardio: B+
timing/accuracy: B+
Durability: A-
Recovery: A
Striking: A+
Striking defense: B-
(Edit)Wrestling: B-/B
Takedowns: C+/B-
Takedown defense: C+?

Ground defense: C?
Submissions: F (...duh)

Weaknesses:
Stipe is a very dominant HW but his lack of versatility could be troublesome for him. In HW standing up and trading blows is a dangerous game to play. Bringing fights to the ground would help him to preserve the condition of his chin.

Any critiques, objections, or grievances?

Last edited:
Demetrious Johnson: D (Duck)

Hes still my booy! wield..i mean stipe

Known Allies:
My Boy, Wonderboy, Killavante, Zagreb Fraternal order of police
miocic_weidman32323223.jpg

Known Rivals:
Brazil F1 fans

Last edited:
Conor:
Known Allies
North Sea Residents
Artem-Lobov-Conor-McGregor-Gunnar-Nelson.png

Known Rivals:
Rolling40stone R mass monsters
1049.jpg

Nick looks like he can be in Good Fellas and Stipe looks like a XL version of joaquin phoenix lol

Point of these threads will be to give unbiased analysis of UFC champs while grading their abilities, and breaking down their flaws.

Weaknesses:
Stipe is a very dominant HW but his lack of versatility could be troublesome for him. In HW standing up and trading blows is a dangerous game to play. Bringing fights to the ground would help him to preserve the condition of his chin.

Versatility is overrated and morons like Joe Rogan keep parroting stuff like: "MAN, IN TODAY'S MMA YOU CAN'T MAKE IT IF YOU'RE NOT GOOD AT EVERYTHING". Complete bullshit, people who can actually MASTER a few disciplines are very few and far between, and even then they are for the most part just above average in all of them, never absolute masters. Fighters should absolutely train everything and educate themselves on different styles to learn how to defend or surprise an opponent, but they should stick to their strengths and how to bring the fight where they want it.

I do agree that he should be trying to get the fights to the ground sometimes. I've seen a lot of fighters with great ground and pound but hmmm, many times it was just destroying some dude's face but not actually knocking him out. What Stipe did to Overeem was really tough to watch, those were clean and precise shots. Still, it's not as though Stipe is trading like Hunt or Nelson, there's a method to his madness.

Versatility is overrated and morons like Joe Rogan keep parroting stuff like: "MAN, IN TODAY'S MMA YOU CAN'T MAKE IT IF YOU'RE NOT GOOD AT EVERYTHING". Complete bullshit, people who can actually MASTER a few disciplines are very few and far between, and even then they are for the most part just above average in all of them, never absolute masters. Fighters should absolutely train everything and educate themselves on different styles to learn how to defend or surprise an opponent, but they should stick to their strengths and how to bring the fight where they want it.

I do agree that he should be trying to get the fights to the ground sometimes. I've seen a lot of fighters with great ground and pound but hmmm, many times it was just destroying some dude's face but not actually knocking him out. What Stipe did to Overeem was really tough to watch, those were clean and precise shots. Still, it's not as though Stipe is trading like Hunt or Nelson, there's a method to his madness.
I agree to an extent. Lacking versatility means you can be great at what you do best (Maia and Khabib) but it also means you will be worse off if you are brought out of your comfort zone. Both have their benefits.

In Stipe's case it is only a matter of time before someone comes along and cracks his chin. Tis' the nature of HW. Hopefully it doesn't happen any time soon

Power: A
Speed: B-
(Good for a HW but nothing special)
Stamina/cardio: B+
timing/accuracy: B+
Durability: A-
Recovery: A
Striking: A+
Striking defense: B-
Wrestling: C+/B-
(Once again good for a HW but nothing crazy)
Takedowns: C+/B-
Takedown defense: C+?

Ground defense: C?
Submissions: F (...duh)

Weaknesses:

I think the whole idea is Stipe doesn't want to " trade " blows. What idiot would ?

Hit them hard, before they hit you. It really is almost the only thing that matters at HW.

And, you graded him out just fine on stand up.

I agree to an extent. Lacking versatility means you can be great at what you do best (Maia and Khabib) but it also means you will be worse off if you are brought out of your comfort zone. Both have their benefits.

In Stipe's case it is only a matter of time before someone comes along and cracks his chin. Tis' the nature of HW. Hopefully it doesn't happen any time soon

The pro about being one-dimensional is since your dedicating yourself to whatever your art is BJJ,Wrestling,Striking chances are u when u meet someone well rounded that is mediocre at what u excel in u can capitalize on that advantage since their focused on perfecting too much areas at once

I think the whole idea is Stipe doesn't want to " trade " blows. What idiot would ?

Hit them hard, before they hit you. It really is almost the only thing that matters at HW.

And, you graded him out just fine on stand up.
It's not that I don't think he can handle himself, I just think that despite his good stand up, he still eats hits. In HW that's dangerous. Great stand up doesn't guarantee safety.

The pro about being one-dimensional is since your dedicating yourself to whatever your art is BJJ,Wrestling,Striking chances are u when u meet someone well rounded that is mediocre at what u excel in u can capitalize on that advantage since their focused on perfecting too much areas at once
Very true. I think a level of versatility is needed. You don't need to try and perfect everything but you need to be able to survive in any position.

Stipe will be beaten soundly by both a healthy? Cain and Ngannou. He's never impressed me, and nothing about him stands out except his calm demeanour. He has never faced the best versions of anyone he's fought. I think he's a nice guy and easy to root for, but he doesn't strike me as an all-time great like Fedor, Cain etc

Stipe will be beaten soundly by both a healthy? Cain and Ngannou. He's never impressed me, and nothing about him stands out except his calm demeanour. He has never faced the best versions of anyone he's fought. I think he's a nice guy and easy to root for, but he doesn't strike me as an all-time great like Fedor, Cain etc

Who did Cain beat to be an all time great?

Yeah I can see that. Only time will tell how he holds up

Who did Cain beat to be an all time great?
Demolishing prime JDS twice, stopping Lesnar and Big Nog in the 1st round. Cain's career has been underwhelming because of his health, but his prime is as good as anyone ever. The JDS that Stipe beat at UFC 211 was a shell of his former self.

You're walking into a street fight. In your pockets you have a knife, a garotte and a .44. Do you randomly switch between them just to show your "versatility"? No, you pull out the gun and start blasting until you run out of bullets, it jams, or someone wrests it out of your hands.

Fighting starts on the feet, the natural habitat of punching. Stipe is good enough at it that for the most part it doesn't need to go anywhere else, save for a final flourish of GnP.

Standing and trading blows is a risky game to play at HW as you note. But isn't it even riskier to NOT go with your strong suit? Especially since it's the best suited for how the game begins?

(And please, let's not automatically equate his leaning heavily on his standup with "a lack of versatility." When gameplanning — or necessity — has called for it he's used wrestling, bjj defense, and kickboxing to good effect, the only real notable failure being his takedown % in the first JDS fight.)

Stipe is a top level wrestler, one of the best in the division. His well roundedness is one of his best attributes.

He can outstrike wrestlers and can wrestle the guys who present too many problems standing

Back