ammature fighters training schedule

This comment might be naive but how do you avoid overtraining? Let me begin by saying I have no fighting experience - I just train a lot of BJJ and muay thai. I'm finding it difficult to incorporate weight training into my schedule.
If you have say weight sessions twice a week and then you train muay thai next day for 1.5hrs (or even that afternoon), how are you giving your body enough time to recover after the weight session? My understanding is that a muscle group should be given around 48hrs to recover post weight workout to allow the DOMS and muscle growth/repair to occur properly.
For combat sports weight training has diminishing returns (the amount of practical strength you get increased compared to the amount of strain you put on your body isn't worth it for most; especially if your drug free).

I'm an amateur fighter (MMA) and my training schedule is 2 hours of training in the morning 6 days a week (i'll squeeze 2-3 hours a week of general cardio in the mix so that brings my total to 15 hours). 9 to 10 hours of sleep and a clean diet helps tremendously along with frequent massages and muscle rubs (namman muay, neotica, tiger balm liniment).

For combat sports weight training has diminishing returns (the amount of practical strength you get increased compared to the amount of strain you put on your body isn't worth it for most; especially if your drug free).

I'm an amateur fighter (MMA) and my training schedule is 2 hours of training in the morning 6 days a week (i'll squeeze 2-3 hours a week of general cardio in the mix so that brings my total to 15 hours). 9 to 10 hours of sleep and a clean diet helps tremendously along with frequent massages and muscle rubs (namman muay, neotica, tiger balm liniment).
I envy anyone who can sleep 9-10 hours a night.

When preping for a fight: 3-4BJJ sessions, 3-4striking sessions, 1-2wrestling sessions, 1-2weight lifting sessions, 3-4conditionings sessions per week.

When not preping for a fight: 4BJJ sessions, 1-2strikings sessions, 2weight lifting sessions, 1conditioning session with some sporadic wrestling weekly.

Long time ago u wrote that but im still curious. When u say 4 bjj sessions, u mean with the gi? Otherwise i guess u mean no-gi grappling=

A lot of amateurs seem to be running themselves into the ground with their vigorous routines ITT.

I used to be the same way... Took me awhile to find the happy medium. Of not too much, but not too little.

A balanced lifestyle is most important for my overall growth and when it comes time to be at 100% for competition.

i got a question for all you amatuer fighters. how do you do your cardio and boxing training when you have a full time job, i'm almost 20 years old, i work 50 hrs a week, i use to have more time to train before when i was unemployed, i decided to do straight up boxing now because i'm working 50+ hrs a week, now i only have time to train my boxing at noon because everytime i can not wake up at 7am i just can't. so how do i juggle a full time job and a amatuer career?

i got a question for all you amatuer fighters. how do you do your cardio and boxing training when you have a full time job, i'm almost 20 years old, i work 50 hrs a week, i use to have more time to train before when i was unemployed, i decided to do straight up boxing now because i'm working 50+ hrs a week, now i only have time to train my boxing at noon because everytime i can not wake up at 7am i just can't. so how do i juggle a full time job and a amatuer career?
You make time for it. I work a 9-5 and wake up at 5:30 to make my morning sessions, and my have my evening sessions end at 8pm.
If you can't make your AM sessions, then you have to do both running, GPP, etc in the same session with your skillwork. You can alternate M-R skillwork, weekends as cardio/conditioning. Or base it on a bi-weekly schedule

eg.
Week1
MWF - skillwork
TRS - conditioning

Week2
M-R skillwork
weekend - conditioning

this is very similar to what my weekly schedule is soon to be like.
3-4bjj sessions 2 sessions bjj 1night(sunday) judo dedicated to newaza(and we roll for 3 or 4 rounds every other night of judo.)
3-4 striking sessions 2 sessions muay thai plus one hour private lesson.
1-2 wrestling. 3 nights judo top quality school and instruction.
1-2weights.3 weights session
3-4 conditioning 2 condditioning.
plus 1 all aspects mma class drilling takedowns and ground work with strikes.and sparring
Good man to idolize!

Wish I was close enough to train with them or there was a lineage school near me.

Someday!

You make time for it. I work a 9-5 and wake up at 5:30 to make my morning sessions, and my have my evening sessions end at 8pm.
If you can't make your AM sessions, then you have to do both running, GPP, etc in the same session with your skillwork. You can alternate M-R skillwork, weekends as cardio/conditioning. Or base it on a bi-weekly schedule

eg.
Week1
MWF - skillwork
TRS - conditioning

Week2
M-R skillwork
weekend - conditioning

ok you confused me a little bit, you said M-R skillwork, i don't really know what that means. the gym i train at i have to take a train over their, they have weights, i'm normally working 5-12 MThF, WSun 1-10pm, sat 3-1.30, i usually get to the train station 11 or 12, and i usually spend 1-2 hrs their i just started at that gym literally a few weeks ago, i'm trying to get my strength and cardio in, since their is a treadmil in that gym, but i have not touched any of the workout equipment yet, i mean i'll try to wake up around 8am in the morning, but i'm not sure if i can.

ok you confused me a little bit, you said M-R skillwork, i don't really know what that means. the gym i train at i have to take a train over their, they have weights, i'm normally working 5-12 MThF, WSun 1-10pm, sat 3-1.30, i usually get to the train station 11 or 12, and i usually spend 1-2 hrs their i just started at that gym literally a few weeks ago, i'm trying to get my strength and cardio in, since their is a treadmil in that gym, but i have not touched any of the workout equipment yet, i mean i'll try to wake up around 8am in the morning, but i'm not sure if i can.
R is thursday

R is thursday

i just thought about what you said, in both your replies, and i think i can do a strength and conditioning and get my cardio in f-sun, and do my skill work M-R. i'm mainly just doing boxing right now, i think i might fight in that smoker thats coming up, but my other gym has not said when its coming up yet. in the mean time i'll be training in new york practicing my boxing and trying to mix it with what i've learned from my other instructors in the gym in nj that i train at i.e. footwork drills, and bag drills. and i'll be mixing that with whatever i learn in the boxing gym in nyc that i train at. i'll be trying to put some strength training with the bag drills.

When I was a successful amateur boxer:

Mon - Wed - Friday
Boxing classes, 2hrs each. Cardio circuits, technique sessions, sparring etc.

Tue - Thu
Running along the beach near my house.
Squats and other big compound movements.

Probably about 8-9 hours a week total. Healthy eating and no boozing otherwise which is a big part.

My regime was a lot lighter than other guys I knew. What I did have was a handful of really experienced amateurs, who were much further along in their careers, to spar with regularly.

Back