AMD Introduction Of Monster GPU Vega (Specs Leaked! May 5th)

Ever hear of a company called Colorful? They definitely go out on a limb.

colorful-gtx680-crazy-vga-cooler-02.jpg

COLORFUL-iGAME-GTX-1080-KUDAN-4.jpg

Colorful-680_1.png

gsmarena_004.jpg
Ok. so there's one company. Top one isn't even for consumers, it's a liquid nitrogen card IIRC.

Does the CPU duel with the VGA or something else?
Sorry, couldn't resist. But in all seriousness, a dual core?
{<huh}

Sorry dual core I been posting at 2:45 in the morning. :)

Dual core but with hypertheading the system sees quad core. I heard that they are gunning for octa core but I also hear that the new GPU can do most of the heavy lifting. This thing going to have a lot of chip space devoted to this hybrid design.

The Ryzen is such a huge bump in performance and the CPU is doing less work it's more about announcing it has the latest CPU.

The real magic and the 7 teraflops is coming from the GPU not the CPU. It has 5 times the computing performance over the XBOX One console SOC.

Ether way if they put 8 Ryzen cores on this thing is going to be a monster. I doubt they will use Ryzen architecture if it has 8 cores likely Bulldozer architecture in that case.

Sorry dual core I been posting at 2:45 in the morning. :)

Dual core but with hypertheading the system sees quad core. I heard that they are gunning for octa core but I also hear that the new GPU can do most of the heavy lifting. This thing going to have a lot of chip space devoted to this hybrid design.

The Ryzen is such a huge bump in performance and the CPU is doing less work it's more about announcing it has the latest CPU.

The real magic and the 7 teraflops is coming from the GPU not the CPU. It has 5 times the computing performance over the XBOX One console SOC.

Ether way if they put 8 Ryzen cores on this thing is going to be a monster. I doubt they will use Ryzen architecture if it has 8 cores likely Bulldozer architecture in that case.

Just giving ya shit.
Even with hyper threading, a dual core seems like a step backwards. I believe the xbone and ps4 have their own twitch type streaming services built in. If that's the case, only having 4 cores is silly. At least go to a 6 core.
Hopefully developers start making games more gpu bound, that's where we've seen the most improvements over the past couple of years.

Just giving ya shit.
Even with hyper threading, a dual core seems like a step backwards. I believe the xbone and ps4 have their own twitch type streaming services built in. If that's the case, only having 4 cores is silly. At least go to a 6 core.
Hopefully developers start making games more gpu bound, that's where we've seen the most improvements over the past couple of years.

Right now games are hugely GPU bound. That is why you can use a dual core GPU with some sort of hyperthreading tech, or simply vary fast individual cores and still have good performance. Gaming consoles over the last few generations have had AMD processors with more then 4 cores simply because in the past AMD architecture was not as such that individual cores were that strong.

Right now games are hugely GPU bound. That is why you can use a dual core GPU with some sort of hyperthreading tech, or simply vary fast individual cores and still have good performance. Gaming consoles over the last few generations have had AMD processors with more then 4 cores simply because in the past AMD architecture was not as such that individual cores were that strong.
Not all games are GPU bound. City Skyline, Civ 5, Minecraft, Wow, and the Arma's are all very CPU bound.
Even with 4 strong cores, streaming is very cpu intensive and will take a hit. They're better off throwing on a couple more cores to take care of it and other background processes.

Not all games are GPU bound. City Skyline, Civ 5, Minecraft, Wow, and the Arma's are all very CPU bound.
Even with 4 strong cores, streaming is very cpu intensive and will take a hit. They're better off throwing on a couple more cores to take care of it and other background processes.

Those games are the exception, and not the rule. As far as streaming, well that is going to hinge on what AMD developed to work with there APU.

yeah arma is extremely CPU heavy

AMD is gunning for May to releasing the Vega GPU. It looks like it's going to come with 8 gigabytes of HBM2 memory.

Price from a few rumored numbers between 550 to 700 dollars. They are going to be pushing superior performance over GTX 1080 and Titan X.

There are plans in future versions to support up to 32 gigabytes of HBM2 and NAND upgradable storage.

http://wccftech.com/amd-vega-gpu-radeon-graphics-may-launch/

Just giving ya shit.

Yes but the new CPU has a 3-1 execute performance improvement over the Bulldozer. This CPU core performance is considerably more powerful core to core over the XBOX One SOC.

You're looking at a 60 percent improvement over XBox One cores and running 50 percent higher clock speed.

Yes but the new CPU has a 3-1 execute performance improvement over the Bulldozer. This CPU core performance is considerably more powerful core to core over the XBOX One SOC.

You're looking at a 60 percent improvement over XBox One cores and running 50 percent higher clock speed.
AMD has done the "look at the improvements we've made" and in certain tests they were great, FX-9590, but for the 99% of other people out there it was terrible.

Timestamped properly:

AMD Radeon RX Vega Update: Specs Revealed In Linux Patch

RFDWyC.png

In a recent report from a source, some interesting details from a Direct Rendering Manager (DRM) update for Linux that was submitted by AMD were revealed. AMD's Radeon RX Vega is said to feature 64 next gen compute units, each with 64 GCN stream processors. and that gives 4,096 next generation GCN stream processors divided into four divisions, each of that comprises a shader engine.

Last edited:
I actually generated a Google Sheet several nights ago to better analyze the sheer raw hardware computational power between the GTX 1060 6GB and RX 580 8GB. I've adapted it and now added in as much as we have for Vega. I don't have any clocks, so I can't calculate anything else. Screencap here:

*Bajillionth Edit*
I realized that the table in my post above didn't properly sequester its TFLOPs figures when they composed their chart. It is actually showing both Single Precision and Double Precision floating point performance. Awesome.

dvlaaI.png

I'll get to adding in as much of Vega's known pipeline as I can. For those who don't know what these mean and how they interrelate, the Cliffs is that these are the two big ones:
  • Memory Bandwidth (Single Point Precision)
  • Processing Power
Gamers should reference Single Point Floating Precision (FP32) when they want to analyze a GPU's raw processing power (aka performance). Half Point Precision (FP16) and Double Point Precision (FP64) are more of a concern to professional editors.

Looks like this will fit the "Rage X Fury" specs if this old rumored marketing sheet turns out to reflect reality:

upload_2017-5-5_23-31-36.jpeg

Last edited:
CLIFF NOTES:

Here's interpretation of the tea leaves. The upcoming RX Vega card is going to have the same incredibly interesting head-to-head matchup with the GTX 1080 that the GTX 1060 6GB and RX 580 8GB are having right now. Almost identically priced, the GTX 1060 6GB is currently the better performing card in games, but the RX 580 8GB clearly has the raw hardware horsepower advantage that will likely mean it ages better with time as AMD's much less frequent driver updates roll in. It will at some point in the next several years eclipse the GTX 1060 6GB in gaming benchmarks, and forever thereafter hold superiority as a gaming card (especially when.

*Edit of the Edit of the Edit Revision*
Actually, now that I figured out what was so weird about that chart, I predict the Vega card is going to fall about midway between the GTX 1080 and GTX 1080 Ti in terms of performance.

Last edited:
Is that an external power supply adapter for the RX Vegas?
Silhouette looks to me like it is supposed to be a liquid cooling solution like the EVGA GTX "Hybrid" cards have.

I think pretty much everyone is pulling for them because we don't want Intel and NVIDIA to gain monopolies.
This. I am pretty far invested in Nvidia at this point with a 980ti and a gsync monitor, but a has always been pulling for red secretly. They just haven't done anything right in the last few generations...

I'll never forget the days of the 5770 though, when a $170 card was competition for $400 cards. It was almost silly not to buy the 5770. That is the AMD we need so Nvidia isn't charging 700 bucks for a 1080 Ti

This. I am pretty far invested in Nvidia at this point with a 980ti and a gsync monitor, but a has always been pulling for red secretly. They just haven't done anything right in the last few generations...

I'll never forget the days of the 5770 though, when a $170 card was competition for $400 cards. It was almost silly not to buy the 5770. That is the AMD we need so Nvidia isn't charging 700 bucks for a 1080 Ti
Yeah, AMD ruled during the 4xxx and 5xxx generations of GPUs all the way through the sweet spot of the pricing range for gamers that make up almost all GPU sales ($150-$400). Then the GTX 570 hit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back