AMD Introduction Of Monster GPU Vega (Specs Leaked! May 5th)

PEB

Sunflower in support of Ukraine
@Steel
Reaction score
The new AMD Vega is really a revolutionary product. The difference between it and Polaris is pretty dramatic. Polaris looks like it was filling a gap while they finished development of Vega.

Vega adds many new elements such as 512 terabytes of memory support. The memory thing is interesting. Currently HBM2 Support up to 32 gigabytes of memory.

How it makes use of this memory is interesting. The user can add NAND up to terabytes and stuff it full of data for scene creating or constantly streaming into the graphics pipeline.

Performance it averages around 10 to 15 frames more per second then the 1080. This is running ultra at 4K and manage to keep 60 to 65 frames a second. This using non optimize drivers and running Doom no word yet about Crysis lol.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.pcwo...out-amds-cutting-edge-graphics-cards.amp.html

The new AMD Vega is really a revolutionary product. The difference between it and Polaris is pretty dramatic. Polaris looks like it was filling a gap while they finished development of Vega.

Vega adds many new elements such as 512 terabytes of memory support. The memory thing is interesting. Currently HBM2 Support up to 32 gigabytes of memory.

How it makes use of this memory is interesting. The user can add NAND up to terabytes and stuff it full of data for scene creating or constantly streaming into the graphics pipeline.

Performance it averages around 10 to 15 frames more per second then the 1080. This is running ultra at 4K and manage to keep 60 to 65 frames a second. This using non optimize drivers and running Doom no word yet about Crysis lol.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.pcwo...out-amds-cutting-edge-graphics-cards.amp.html

I hope they deliver, but am skeptical. I will wait for independent tests. I think Nvidia is just going to release whatever they have cooking to stomp them out again anyways, but who knows. I want there to be healthy competition.

I hope they deliver, but am skeptical. I will wait for independent tests. I think Nvidia is just going to release whatever they have cooking to stomp them out again anyways, but who knows. I want there to be healthy competition.
Nvidia Volta under development it looks like they are focusing on AI and autonomous driving technology. The chip going to have a custom duel core CPU on board in addition to the GPU elements. They are staying away from HBM2 instead focused on using GDDR6 at first. They claim it will be twice the performance of Pascal.

Like others I will remain cautiously optimistic for this.

Do you work for AMD, or own a large portion of their stock, or something along those lines? From your posts, you seem to be pulling for them pretty hard/invested in their success.

Do you work for AMD, or own a large portion of their stock, or something along those lines? From your posts, you seem to be pulling for them pretty hard/invested in their success.
I think pretty much everyone is pulling for them because we don't want Intel and NVIDIA to gain monopolies.

Over in the new thread I posted a video of a running AMD Ryzen cpu and a Polaris gpu running Star Wars Battlefield 4k @60fps solid.

@CPA Pretty much any system builder is pulling for AMD right now. What they come out with in the next 6 months will make or break the company. They're still hemorrhaging money like crazy.
If AMD goes under, then Intel for cpu's and nvidia for gpu's are the only ones left in there segment.
Competition is good.

No none I nether own or work for AMD. I like them because they lead technology forward. They were the first to release a 64 bit chip, they bought ATI and released the first decent SOC.

They are constantly pointed as the underdog and if I had the money I would have bought thousands of shares at 1.61 a share. I don't own any shares or have a job with them.

My fear for AMD is that they once again get to far ahead of the game. They have done it before. With CPUs the bet on having more cores and threads thinking more programs would be highly threaded. This is only really starting to happen now. For GPU's they have been betting on there own API to take hold, again this has only started. We have Doom and a couple other games scheduled but there is still no guarantee Vulcan is going to catch on, or really be able to compete with DX12. Doom's other API was OpenGL which we rarely see because if lacks a lot of power DX has.

Hopefully AMD has it right this time and the stars have aligned. I have an NVidia card now, and an Intel CPU, but I hold no alliances.

i think ill do intel mobo and processor and amd if these things are that powerful

I think pretty much everyone is pulling for them because we don't want Intel and NVIDIA to gain monopolies.
I've never been an ATI (they'll always be ATI to me, dammit) guy but I certainly don't want them going under. Hell I still miss 3dfx all these years later.
I wanted one of these bad boys back in the day because it had 32mb of memory (this was before the TNT2 came out).

I've never been an ATI (they'll always be ATI to me, dammit) guy but I certainly don't want them going under. Hell I still miss 3dfx all these years later.
I wanted one of these bad boys back in the day because it had 32mb of memory (this was before the TNT2 came out).

You can find reviews for that card, it's crazy seeing things 18 years old on the net.

I miss old video card designs. No one really goes out on a limb anymore.
diamond-cards.jpg

HIS-Radeon-HD-6870-Turbo-Graphics-Card-1.jpg

H231-4678_chiclet01_aa_6076197.jpg

4a4dd_Diamond_Graphics_Card_51IhxbIvUcL.jpg

diamond-hd4870xoc.jpg

Last edited:
You can find reviews for that card, it's crazy seeing things 18 years old on the net.

diamond-cards.jpg

diamond-hd4870xoc.jpg
I don't know, that's a little too "dude bro" for me. Looks like Affliction.

The point is, they went out on a limb. Look at cards now, there's really not a lot of design.
14-125-908-04.jpg

14-126-106-25.jpg

14-127-947-14.jpg

14-127-951-01.jpg
What's wrong with those? I love the subtle look. EVGA makes the best ones.

diamond-cards.jpg

diamond-hd4870xoc.jpg
These are all relatively recent, an in less then 10 years old. The one you quoted looked like this:
rage_fury_maxx.jpg

I actually really like the way some of the cards look now though, those just look kind of cheap to me.

He makes posts like this about everything

Ever hear of a company called Colorful? They definitely go out on a limb.

colorful-gtx680-crazy-vga-cooler-02.jpg

COLORFUL-iGAME-GTX-1080-KUDAN-4.jpg

Colorful-680_1.png

gsmarena_004.jpg

Back