Amazing MMA Facts

Well, they only had like 2 tournaments after that one, so there hasn't been many chances to replicate the result...
(that was in 1997, and in 1998 they had a WW tournament won by Pat Miletich, and a MW tournament won by Dan Henderson)

For clarity's sake, the reason Saku and Conan had a rematch had nothing to do with the fact that "the Japanese protested", no one knew who Saluraba was, he wasn't even supposed to be here today, but Kanehara got injured so Sak was a replacement.

But since Tank Abbott had broken his hand beating on Yoji Anjo's thick skull (you might remember him as the Japanese pro-wrestler who challenged Rickson Gracie
Rickson Gracie vs. Yoji Anjo (lost recording of dojo fight; 1994) - The  Lost Media WikiView attachment 1013847
), then was no one to fight Marcus Conan Silveira in the finale, and since Saku was the only participant in shape to fight again, he got another go at him.

Just wrtting those details because to someone not familiar with the story, it could sound like Sakuraba was this big star, calling shots and getting fights overturned.
He managed to do that later in the Sexyama greasing debacle, but at that point he was a big deal, so people actually listened.

... and now that I think about it, PRIDE did change the outcome of the Guy Mezger fight, and instead of calling it a draw like agreed upon if they reached the time limit, PRIDE officials decided to have an extra round, that Ken Shamrock hadn't agreed on.
And since Mezger was gassed, and Saku seemed to have endless stamina, it was a bad situation for the Lion's Den guys

But considering that Saku was also on the receiving end on some terrible referee calls and questionable judging, and was sorta sabotaged by Takada himself
(I'll post a few examples)
it's kinda mitigated...

-Saku got screwed over in the first Nino Elvis Schembri, fight, when "the Godfather of Gogoplata" headbutted him right on the chin (to be fair to Nino, it did look accidental on his part) which rocked Saku long enough for Schembri to clinch and land a few devastating knees right to his face, followed by soccer kicks even while the ref was trying to stop the fight

Saku would get a rematch eventually, that he'd win, but had that happened today in the UFC it would have been an DQ as soon as the Takada Dojo guys called BS and demanded that they review the footage and etc
PRIDE was happy with the result though, it was a huge upset and the rematch would sell well, let's not waste this and miss the opportunity to spam the KO on every DVD

-Saku had a tough time dealing with the Gracie family, and had to accept rulesets that would advantage the Brazilians, like no time limit, and other stuff that was always last minute and "it's either that or no fight"
And in his last MMA fight against a Gracie, the always game Ralek, Saku had him in a pretty deep Kimura when the referee decided to stop the action because they were too close to the... cage wall. DREAM unveils white cage and main event: Alvarez vs. Kikuno - MMA  UndergroundView attachment 1013844
Yeah, it was when DREAM got a badass white cage so they should have let Saku work on that submission he had on, but the ref acted like there were ropes and the combattants were about to slip though them, and dragged them in the middle of the DREAM cage, where Saku didn't get to restart with his armlock.

That one annoyed me so bad ><

-Japanese refs arguably failed him a bunch of time, letting Smirnovas beat on a clearly done Saku for so long that he gassed, and Saku was able to get a win, but the price for victory was waaaaay too high.
Top 10 Best MMA Comeback Wins of All-Time | WeHeartMMAView attachment 1013845
Those were the days were we weren't seriously worried about concussions and the possibility of getting punch drunk from MMA was alien, it was just a boxing thing, "because these idiots punch each other in the head for 50 rounds and get a bunch of opportunities to get rocked, and get back up, but in MMA is you get dropped you get stomped a couple times and the ref steps in"

But even then lots of people were worried about the damage Saku had taken in that fight, added to the damage he took in previous fights like against Arona (in which his own corner called it quits since the ref didn't), Igor, or Wanderlei.
It was a tough time to be a IQ Wrestler superfan

-And that he would keep getting in the sadly controversial Saku vs Zelg "Benkei" Galesic, on which Sak got pounded on for so friggin' long that even if he did end up getting the sub
(and poor Benkei got his knees ligaments completely destroyed, he had to take a long break and wouldn't be able to fight for 2 years)

- One last thing, since that fight didn't really matter the outrage didn't last long, but if you were on Sherdog when the Saku vs Royce rematch happened, you'll remember that the decision was extremely unpopular, and 90% of sherbros had Saku winning that kind boring fight, and Royce would piss hot anyway so it was overturne, but that was another instance of "omg why does Japan hate poor Saku"

Oh well
I'm glad that the UFC put him in the HoF even though he only fought twice for that org, for the UFC 15.5 Japan GP
I love that QUINTET is back on tracks, and that after taking so many beatings at the end of his career, he was really able to do whatever he pleased with his submission wrestling org, got to do way more pro-wrestling
and be the guy able to help his once opponent, the Mad Dog Pro-Wrestler "
Iconic lineage. Shibata, Sakuraba and Funaki. Strong style heroes :  r/SquaredCircleView attachment 1013846

into international super-stardom

Damn, this was a good post.

I'd be on sherdog more often if we had more posters like you.

Not many know but Yoji Anjo is appare tly a very funny, cool guy.

He got forced by his pro wrestling org to do the whole rickson challenge thing.

Here's a very obscure fact.

When Enson Inoue got busted for weed, he was looking at 4-6 years.

He was being interrogated by police for 12 hours a day.

He needed to tell them who he got it from (he was growing it himself but couldn't say so for obvious reasons) he used one of his students who never had nor ever would go to Japan as the basis for his imaginary friend that just gave him some of his extra weed.

His name was Tony and had a fu Manchu.

After days of talking about "Tony" while the fatigue was setting in. They out of nowhere asked what Tony's last name was.

He instinctively said Montana.

He thought he royally fucked up and was doing YEARS.

The police didn't question it and wrote it down.

So legally speaking Enson's drug dealer is Tony Montana.

As far as I know and can find, Shinya Aoki pulled off the first gogoplata win in MMA in 2006
Hmm, I thought another one happened at a dream event before that. Maybe I'm confusing timelines.

Saku was so upset at the Gracie's request for special rules (no time limit, no judges decisions, etc) that during a press conference he said that he wanted a special rule of his own: the winner of the fight would get all the purse money, with the loser getting zero. Royce was on national television and had to accept.

Sak then went on to win the longest (I believe) MMA fight on record, in the most humiliating way for the Gracies -- by forcing the family to give up on behalf of Royce.

War Saku

Here's an interesting one:

Shane Carwin won his first 12 fights in a COMBINED time of less than 20 minutes -- this includes wins over Frank Mir and Gabriel Gonzaga. Only two fighters lasted more than 120 seconds against him (until Brock and JDS).

Can anyone best that bit of trvia?
Tom Aspinall. Give him a few bouts/years

Just a joke, before anyone points out the obvious

Gergard Moose never lost two fights in a row up until his last fight with 59 total MMA bouts

KZ first twister in UFC
I've seen 2 never last 2 fights in a row type posts???

Khabib never lost 1 fight in a row. Including an earlier career victory against a bear

Damn, this was a good post.

I'd be on sherdog more often if we had more posters like you.

Not many know but Yoji Anjo is appare tly a very funny, cool guy.

He got forced by his pro wrestling org to do the whole rickson challenge thing.

Aww, you're too nice man <{chips}>
And Yoji Anjo is indeed a badass, just a few days ago I randomly stumbled upon his 1989 bout against Changpuek Kiatsongrit on youtube while looking for Changpuek's fights against French Farang Stéphane "Diesel black" Nikiéma
and ended up stumbling upon the Yoji Anjo bout, which was interesting (loooots of clinching and ropes grabbing, but if anyone here is curious, have fun =>

Anjo is an interesting guy, since I've been watching some of Sakuraba's old pro-wrestling bouts and Yoji Anjo is always in the background with the other Takada Dojo guys, it was only a matter of time before I became interested in "Mr 200%".

The pro-wrestler who really tried to win actual fights, sadly without much success... his first official bout was against the triple ADCC silver medalist Sean Alvarez (who has victories over Marcio "Pe de Pano" Cruz, Ricco Rodriguez, Tito Ortiz, Garth Tailor, etc etc...) and it last half an hour.

He didn't let his first "real" MMA defeat discourage him, and later took on the likes of Tank Abbott, Murilo Bustamante, Olympic Silver Medalist Matt "The Law" Lindland, and Ryan Gracie.

He didn't take it easy in kickboxing either, lost to legendary karateka Masaaki Satake, and fought the likes of Manson Gibson, Duncan James, and Issei Nakai =>

Im pretty sure Dream came out after the downfall of pride.

All I know is Nino "Elvis" Schembri created the gogoplata and Aoki was the first to do it in MMA

Damn right, I sometimes see people credit Eddie Bravo with "inventing" the gogoplata, and I always think back to those old "FIGHT! Magazine" that were at the gym in the mid 2000s, because I know for a fact that there is an article about Elvis Schembri showing out to do a gogoplata
(it was one of the 2 issues that covered the PRIDE 2005 MWGP, specificaly the one that had a poster of Sakuraba vs Arona in the middle; it was kind of a depressing poster but we still put it up for a while since we didn't have many Saku posters)

Anyway, good Enson Inoue story ^^ they don't fuck around with cannabis in Japan, amirite? I've had the immense luck of being able to travel there a bunch of times for business, sadly it was also for short trips, no times to watch any PRIDE or K1 events.

<28>

Anyways, with laws like these, it's no wonder that most teenagers there who get high prefer dabbling in amphetamines, and sometimes inhalants like Toluene... <{chips}>
But hey that was a long time ago, things might have changed since then -I hope at least.

Pretty sure that was actually Aoki pulling off a mounted gogoplata funny enough
Figured it out. It was Royce vs. Akebono NYE 2004. But, it was an omoplata, not gogoplata. Got my platas confused.

Was also thinking Diaz vs. Gomi, but that wasn't until 2007.

Im pretty sure Dream came out after the downfall of pride.

All I know is Nino "Elvis" Schembri created the gogoplata and Aoki was the first to do it in MMA
It was a K-1 2004 NYE event. But, I got my platas confused. It was an omoplata, not gogoplata.

Also, I sometimes think of K-1 and Dream as the same thing because...maybe because of their NYE events?

Tito Ortiz and Tank used to train together. Team hammer house never had a real gym, just a front porch/garage. Their asian steroid dealer is the buff asian in train to busan. Igor Vovchanchyn's village where he is from used to ring a bell to signal that igor was on a violent rampage.

Khabib and Tony where supposed to fight 5 different times each time got canceled

This one still blows me away.
Jim Miller became the first fighter to reach 40 fights in the UFC

3C06DD6B00000578-4106098-image-m-42_1484074583304.jpg

Was really trying to find the fat ronda lookalike who is walking around drinking out of a 2 liter bottle asking someone in a car if they have a cig. When they said no, she says fuck you. lol

Edit: WTF is up with these pics? I upload it and it loads, but when I post the reply, it turns to a wordshit.

Matt Hughes vs Anderson Silva was supposed to happen in Pride.

Mark Hughes used to pound his brother behind the barn.

Matt Hughes doesn't even have time for a country breakfast.

Chael Sonnen is a gangster from Oregon.

Matt Lindland stinks.

Randy Couture once marketed his own brand of cologne.

Travis Lutterr is the Michael Jordan of BJJ.

Cody Garbrandt never had to chase p**** in his life.

Brock has an affinity for chicken salad.

Mir has an affinity for intracacies of details.

GSP was not impressed with Matt Hughes performance.

Jon Jones uses tainted supplements.

Back