AM radio

We have been told for decades that AM radio was going away. I still listen to it and it seems to be doing fairly well. FM radio seems the most impacted by the new technology.

Anyone else still listen to AM?

I listen to AM. I like the local sports show since it focuses on our college. Coast 2 Coast late at night when your faded can be hilarious.

Am is all I listen to as far as radio is concerned. Sports talk on the way to work and coast to coast on my way home from work

Therenis an all traffic station here, so I often listen to that while driving.

AM radio waves can travel further distances then FM. also FM radio waves are affected by mountains and other physical barriers and AM radio waves are not.

I see this is not a thread about the Everclear song titled AM Radio. I like that song.

AM radio waves can bounce of the Ionosphere at night. During the day those signals get lost in the static produced by the sun. I remember many nights in the late 60s and early 70s listening to Beaker Street with Clyde Clifford on KAAY out of Little Rock Arkansas. They were allowed to increase signal strength at night to 50,000 watts. The local station broadcasting at about the same frequency signed off at 10PM. I plowed snow many nights in the winter and it was one of the few stations on at night in that era.

I listen to Coast to Coast on the way home from work sometimes but that's about it.

yeah, I'll flip to AM when I'm driving and bored.

AM radio waves can bounce of the Ionosphere at night. During the day those signals get lost in the static produced by the sun. I remember many nights in the late 60s and early 70s listening to Beaker Street with Clyde Clifford on KAAY out of Little Rock Arkansas. They were allowed to increase signal strength at night to 50,000 watts. The local station broadcasting at about the same frequency signed off at 10PM. I plowed snow many nights in the winter and it was one of the few stations on at night in that era.
Dude, seriously, how fucking old are you?

CBC

(Enough said to a Canadian, especially an older Canadian who doesn't live in a big city. AM is still king to a lot of Canadians.)

AM will probably never go away. It broadcasts a lot further for some reason. When I was a kid my dad and I would surf in Mexico and could listen to LA stations.

Not sure if I've even tried to listen to it and really don't even know what the difference is. I guess next car ride I'll check it out

haven't listened to it since the 70s.
once for traffic I guess, but with Google Maps I don't even
need it for that.

Talk radio only, but haven't listen to much talk radio lately since I no longer have a commute.

Back